19" Wheels/Summer Tires on CTS Coupe....no good! - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 19" Wheels/Summer Tires on CTS Coupe....no good! in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; What? Who are you yelling at, C "T" ess? The last posts on this thread were more than four months ...
    The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

Re: 19" Wheels/Summer Tires on CTS Coupe....no good!

What? Who are you yelling at, C "T" ess? The last posts on this thread were more than four months before your latest.
    tinman likes this.

Mistercoffee2 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Withdrawn, responding to old post.

"@$$hole" is one word, not two. And the use of "months" in your post should be possessive, "month's."

I guess we have to award a consolation prize.

Espi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium

I have the 19" Summer Tire package on my 2011 CTS-V and have no problem whatsoever.

Mistercoffee2 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Withdrawn

Cruzn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS Coupe Premium

I have a 2013 CTS Coupe with the 19" wheel package & I'm just beginning to experience the sound when backing with my wheel turned almost all the way. At this moment I've only experienced this twice, and it has been extremely cold outside. My car is only 3 months old. I will definitely contact the dealership to see if this can be resolved.

zen
    zen is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS CPE

It's normal with those tires and the way the wheels are aligned (negative CAMBER). It will go away if you install all season tires with a softer compound.

Added: from the Corvette Forum;
    It is the result of the Ackerman steering angle geometry being adjusted to favor high speed driving at the expense of slow speed turning. Cold temperatures affect the grip of the tires, and make it more noticeable. So yes it does get worse at colder temps.

For a good explanation of "Ackerman steering" do a Google search of the term. I highly recommend you at least read Wikipedia's article first.

It is normal for a high performance handling automobile. Most of us have never driven automobiles that were engineered for ultimate handling, and were never exposed to this behavior.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzn View Post
    I have a 2013 CTS Coupe with the 19" wheel package & I'm just beginning to experience the sound when backing with my wheel turned almost all the way. At this moment I've only experienced this twice, and it has been extremely cold outside. My car is only 3 months old. I will definitely contact the dealership to see if this can be resolved.
    Hello Cruzn,

I understand your want for resolving this concern. If you choose to bring your vehicle into your dealer for them to diagnose, please let me know. I can be reached via private message and am more than happy to assist throughout the process while working with your dealer.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

al williams is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '11 coupe-- manual shift-- 1 of 65 built.

This condition was very severe on my car with the original ContiSportContact 3s (car has 19 in. summer performance package). Every time I Backed from my driveway into the street there would be a loud Bang!-- sounding and feeling like something had broken, but it hadn't, of course. Same thing would happen backing out of parking spaces, but usually not as loud, probably because parking lot concrete is generally not as coarse as my driveway. Last week I replaced the Continentals with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s, and the condition is absolutely gone! The car is also surprisingly quieter with the Michelins.

Laura, tell your production friends to get rid of those Continentals and start putting Michelins on the cars!

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    I have noticed this a bit with the V now that it has gotten colder. Never noticed in with my AWD coupe before.

Quote Originally Posted by zen
    It's normal with those tires and the way the wheels are aligned (negative CAMBER). It will go away if you install all season tires with a softer compound. Added: from the Corvette Forum; It is the result of the Ackerman steering angle geometry being adjusted to favor high speed driving at the expense of slow speed turning. Cold temperatures affect the grip of the tires, and make it more noticeable. So yes it does get worse at colder temps. For a good explanation of "Ackerman steering" do a Google search of the term. I highly recommend you at least read Wikipedia's article first. It is normal for a high performance handling automobile. Most of us have never driven automobiles that were engineered for ultimate handling, and were never exposed to this behavior.
    Thanks Zen. That makes a lot of sense of what you described. I'll do more research on it. Actually I had a 2012 C6 Vette that made a weird noise (when cold & after sitting still for a long time) and I proceed to turn just from the parking space going forward. I know it has to be the angle of these extra wide tires at low speeds.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc
    Hello Cruzn, I understand your want for resolving this concern. If you choose to bring your vehicle into your dealer for them to diagnose, please let me know. I can be reached via private message and am more than happy to assist throughout the process while working with your dealer. Sincerely, Laura M. Cadillac Customer Care
    Thank you so much Laura! I'll reach out to my selling dealership 1st.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzn View Post
    Thanks Zen. That makes a lot of sense of what you described. I'll do more research on it. Actually I had a 2012 C6 Vette that made a weird noise (when cold & after sitting still for a long time) and I proceed to turn just from the parking space going forward. I know it has to be the angle of these extra wide tires at low speeds.

----------

Thank you so much Laura! I'll reach out to my selling dealership 1st.
    Hi Cruzn,

You are welcome! I just wanted to reach out to you and let you know that we are here to assist if needed.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Sportwagon 18.2city 28hwy 25hwy AC on

Quote Originally Posted by dcoogan77 View Post
    I own a 2011 Cadillac CTS Coupe AWD, with 18" Michelin Pilot HX-MXM tires. I am currently at war with Cadillac. My car exhibits similar symptoms seen in this thread, but my issues seem infinitely worse. First, there is no noise, when turning moderately to full lock and applying the accelerator, my car begins to violently hop from both ends of the vehicle. I've read about the rear tires sliding, and so on. I've taken my car to a parking lot following a re-sealed transfer case "fix". The car continued to hop. Here's my input... Yes, initially accelerating causes the car to violently hop, but after a few seconds, my car was able to continue turning, full lock, with no hopping, no loss of traction. As soon as I adjusted the steering wheel, the hop returned. Input?
    If they didn't ad GM limited slip differential additive to the case and differential, you might try that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc
    Hi Cruzn, You are welcome! I just wanted to reach out to you and let you know that we are here to assist if needed. Regards, Laura M. Cadillac Customer Care
    Ok thanks again Laura. Can you private message me so I can reply back to you after I speak with the dealership?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.