19" Wheels/Summer Tires on CTS Coupe....no good! - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 19" Wheels/Summer Tires on CTS Coupe....no good! in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; He said scrubbing, not rubbing on the wheel well. My car does it forward or backwards with the wheel turned ...
    CTS_Vette is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe
    He said scrubbing, not rubbing on the wheel well. My car does it forward or backwards with the wheel turned 3/4 of the way. I have been told this is a design characteristic of the performance package. If this is the case why don't all cars that are equipped this way make the noise? I care because it is embarrassing. Anytime someone rides with me and it makes this noise I have to explain to them that no my $50,0000 new car isn't falling apart. My car did not do this when I bought it. It mainly does it on wet pavement. I don't know where you live, but I live in Seattle. Here it is wet 90% of the time in the winter. I can't believe you people who say its no big deal. Aren't you worried about your resale. How are you going to explain this to a potential purchaser? If you are tired of this thread don't read it. Do you run this forum? Just because you are happy with a sub par car doesn't mean we all have to be. If you like the noise don't do anything about it.

ByByBMW is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: 19" Wheels/Summer Tires on CTS Coupe....no good!

Quote Originally Posted by CTS_Vette View Post
    He said scrubbing, not rubbing on the wheel well. My car does it forward or backwards with the wheel turned 3/4 of the way. I have been told this is a design characteristic of the performance package. If this is the case why don't all cars that are equipped this way make the noise? Because there are always minor differences even between identical cars. I care because it is embarrassing. Not to me and yes mine did it Anytime someone rides with me and it makes this noise I have to explain to them that no my $50,0000 new car isn't falling apart. My car did not do this when I bought it. HMMM, so maybe it is due to tire wear? It mainly does it on wet pavement. I don't know where you live, but I live in Seattle. Here it is wet 90% of the time in the winter. I can't believe you people who say its no big deal. Aren't you worried about your resale. Nope How are you going to explain this to a potential purchaser? Like my $80K vette, it's a function of geometry, tire type, alignment, etc. If you are tired of this thread don't read it. I'll keep reading. It's to much fun watching you beat your head against the brick wall. Do you run this forum? No. Just because you are happy with a sub par car doesn't mean we all have to be. I'm not happy about it either, but I know when to quit beating my head against the wall. If you like the noise don't do anything about it. Has nothing to do with liking or disliking the noise. I love the car and like every car I have ever owned, there is always something I would like to be different. But it doesn't ruin my overall enjoyment of the vehicle.

zen
    zen is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS CPE

Just a suggestion: Take your car to an allignment shop and have them change the negative (-) camber of the front wheels to zero camber. I think that may eliminate the majority of the problem.

rtrocchia is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS Coupe

Worth a try. Another bam, bam really loud and bad sound and feel in the front end backing up at the pizza shop. Scared the heck out of me. Thought SH>>>>>T man this sucks big time.
    What the heck is going to fix this dam problem?

The dealer has put a call in to Cadillac engineering to see if they have any ideas.

Here's an idea "bye bye BMW" if you don't have something to add to the conversation just stay out off it. If you are happy with the noise, good for you, enjoy. I don't need someone to mimic Cadillac and tell me to live with it.

rtrocchia is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS Coupe

Bought new Continental All Season DWS tires 245 45 19 front 275 40 19 rear. No more front end problem when backing up. Cost $1100 tires and installation. Tirerack purchase.
    Turns out Summer tires sidewalls and cold weather make the Continental Contact 3 a very bad tire to have on the CTS 19" wheels. The DWS has a softer sidewall and thus allows the tire to turn while backing up with hopping. Still a costly fix. No one at the dealership had an answer nor do they tell you that the summer tires exhibited this condition when I bought the car. I will tell my salesman what it cost me.

Thanks
    I'm not sure if this would fix the problem permanently. My car didn't start making the noise until 6000 mi. or so. I will mention it to my dealer and see if I can get them to try it.

X E Ryder is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe, Premium, Touring
    We cannot get around this if aligned to factory specs, it is all about the caster - ever noticed we have a wicked tight cornering radius? That caster setting is why.

The downside, it scares the heck out of you when the turned tire finds some loose traction. This is a GM trend going back to the pickups - they took heat for the 4x4s having terrible turning radii. Solution was to "drag" the front end around by turning the inside front tire in severely at lock.

We spend so little time driving with the wheels turned sharply that the benefit has outweighed the issues, in GM s mind apparently.

My buddy's 08 sedan does it too - think it just shows more pronounced on a stickier tire. You hit a wet spot or gravel and it unloads. The siping on the all season is hanging on better.

ByByBMW is offline Cadillac Owners Member

So, the answer, as many posted before, is to not use summer tires AND that it is normal for your car with your tire configuration. IIRC this was posted by a few and you finally, after a year, have your answer. Glad you got it all figured out.

Bye bye BMW
    If you dont have something to add to the conversation please stay out of it. We have already established that you don't find this to be a problem. Stop repeating the company line "its normal". If your car rattledfand they told you it was normal would you by it?

dcoogan77 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS COUPE AWD

I've looked over this thread, and I'm finding some supporting information regarding the similar problem I am experiencing. However, many posts quote that the issue is noise related and due to a 19" wheel package, often Continental tires. Here is my situation, and any input is appreciated, even if it is to show how ignorant I am.

I own a 2011 Cadillac CTS Coupe AWD, with 18" Michelin Pilot HX-MXM tires. I am currently at war with Cadillac. My car exhibits similar symptoms seen in this thread, but my issues seem infinitely worse. First, there is no noise, when turning moderately to full lock and applying the accelerator, my car begins to violently hop from both ends of the vehicle. I've read about the rear tires sliding, and so on. I've taken my car to a parking lot following a re-sealed transfer case "fix". The car continued to hop. Here's my input... Yes, initially accelerating causes the car to violently hop, but after a few seconds, my car was able to continue turning, full lock, with no hopping, no loss of traction. As soon as I adjusted the steering wheel, the hop returned. I have much more to add if necessary, but I will start there.

Input?

ctspremium is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS Premium

I have a 2013 CTS Premium, with of course 19" wheels, Continental Tires (wider in the rear as opposed to the front). Of course with the wider tires on a sharp turn either left or right, the presence of some normal grating will happen. Actually, the preferred method is turning casually, not lock to lock unless absolutely necessary.

I have had this checked twice and self observation also. Actually, turning on a smooth garage type floor is easier than most streets.

My opinion is if you had the dealer check it and showed you visually what happens, you might be a tad happier.

Ramv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Edit

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by CTS_Vette View Post
    Bye bye BMW
    If you dont have something to add to the conversation please stay out of it. We have already established that you don't find this to be a problem. Stop repeating the company line "its normal". If your car rattledfand they told you it was normal would you by it?
    You have been bitching about this for over two years. I'm older than you and have owned 8 vettes and quite a few muscle cars. Any comment that doesn't support your position is "crap" and you warn the poster to shut up and get out. I suggest that if you are as unhappy as you say; you would have learned to live with it, tried one of the suggested fixes or sold the car and move on.
    I can only think that you must be a miserable old man with nothing better to do than hang onto a situation that has been discussed adnauseum .
    My suggestion, sell the piece of crap and move on to a Scion. Don't bother telling me to stay out of the discussion;because,IT'S NORMAL!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.