19" Wheels/Summer Tires on CTS Coupe....no good! - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 19" Wheels/Summer Tires on CTS Coupe....no good! in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by CTS_Vette I have this noise on my 2012 CTS Coupe. It was a slight clunk when the ...
    Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: 19" Wheels/Summer Tires on CTS Coupe....no good!

Quote Originally Posted by CTS_Vette View Post
    I have this noise on my 2012 CTS Coupe. It was a slight clunk when the car was new. I now have 8000 miles on it and the noise has gotten really bad. I took it in to the dealer. I was shown the same GM bulletin. I find the "just live with it" unacceptable. GM has known about this for several years. I feel I should have been informed of this issue before I purchased the 19" performance package. I don't see how Cadillac can compete with the other "premium brands out there and sell a new car with a known issue like this. I have owned two Cadillacs and more than a dozen GM vehicles and this will make me seriously consider whether I want to own another GM vehicle.
    CTS_Vette, I wanted to let you know I'm documenting this feedback where the appropriate GM teams can view it! I can understand your frustration, and I'm very sorry the experience has left you frustrated. If you would ever like me to document your comments further or look into your situation further and contact your dealer on your behalf, then please email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

speedbump49 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '11 CTS Coupe RWD

yea I have this problem with my '11 coupe. I hate it, it happens every morning as I back out of the drive way. However, it happens less often if the car has been driven. Either the tires are warm or the shocks are primed from use. I took it to the dealer and was told its the wide tire causing scrubing as stated here. Its too bad, 'cause the car handles sweet. The scrubbing noise has even scared me when reversing on wet pavement or over wetleaves or when driving over a parking space paint line as it can sound like an impact. I don't know why blakbty is so rude on this issue. My Corvette never had this issue, seems like 19" wheel option on the cts suffers as being a little un-engineered.

CTS_Vette is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe
    I have called GMAIL customer service. I spoke to someone who took down my info and said a district rep would call me. I will update any news.

tinman is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump49 View Post
    yea I have this problem with my '11 coupe. I hate it, it happens every morning as I back out of the drive way. However, it happens less often if the car has been driven. Either the tires are warm or the shocks are primed from use. I took it to the dealer and was told its the wide tire causing scrubing as stated here. Its too bad, 'cause the car handles sweet. The scrubbing noise has even scared me when reversing on wet pavement or over wetleaves or when driving over a parking space paint line as it can sound like an impact. I don't know why blakbty is so rude on this issue. My Corvette never had this issue, seems like 19" wheel option on the cts suffers as being a little un-engineered.
    I don't understand how someone with only four posts comes on a forum and blazes away, taking no prisoners.

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, new engine Nov '13 @ 44Kmi.

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    I don't understand how someone with only four posts comes on a forum and blazes away, taking no prisoners.
    There are some folks on this forum for whom GM/Cadillac is a religion; and all dissenters, regardless of circumstances, are herotics deserving the full wrath of God and man.

While I have an open mind (?) when I get involved with a group I usually test the waters before I exert any influence. Cadillac/GM is not a religion to me, but I certainly am proud to be part of this group. I don't mind constructive criticism, either, but don't flame someone because they don't agree with your opinion. We have enough of that in the U.S. Congress. I don't need it here.

CTS_Vette is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Well I heard back from GM customer No Service. It was someone in a call center who said the only fix was to install a smaller tire and wheel. He said this wasn't a viable solution because it was cost prohibitive. Then he proceeded to read the bulletin to me. Every I questioned him he just quoted the bulletin. I asked if there was someone else I could talk to. He said no. I asked him to confirm that GM was not going to do anything about it. He said that is correct. GM's stance is that this is a design element and not a defect. If this is the case why didn't the car do it when it was new.
    I went to the Cadillac of Bellevue where I purchased the car. I spoke to the general manager. He was very nice and said he will see what he can do.
    I have owned twelve GM vehicles and two Cadillac. I have always been a Chevy person. If the do not make this right I will never purchase another GM vehicle.

The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

I really don't understand why you're so obsessed with this extremely minor issue -- a noise you say is made by the tires only when backing up with the steering turned all the way to the left or right. You say in your initial post that you THINK the noise may be due to the 19-inch tires rubbing against the wheel well, but I don't believe you've said that you've verified that concern. Others here have said they have never encountered this problem (me included), and those who have heard it say quite convincingly that the noise is due to tire hop in that extreme condition.

Absent evidence of actual damage to the car or to the tires, what's the big deal? What percentage of your driving is done in reverse in tight circles? To conclude that you'll never purchase another GM vehicle because of this insignificant issue strikes me as irrational.
    Jon, Jon, ByByBMW and 5 others like this.

MotownPimp is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS Coupe Performance Stick

Listen to The Judge; he speaks the truth.
    But, then, don't all judges!

dreiloft is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS, 2012 Coupe traded, 2010 CTS 4 Dr traded
    Agree. I have t 2012 coupe with 15,00 mile and 19" summer tires with no problems. If they were rubbing as much as he says, there would be a more damage to the wheel well (hole in the plastic) instead of the tire.

I too have had enough of this thread.

dreiloft is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS, 2012 Coupe traded, 2010 CTS 4 Dr traded
    Quote Originally Posted by tinman
    I too have had enough of this thread.
    Yep, lets get back to the uncomfortable seats, turn signals only blink 3 three times and the non locking gas cap.

The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

Buncha wimps! ;-)

MotownPimp is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS Coupe Performance Stick

Candy butts

rtrocchia is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS Coupe

This is great. Let's see if I understand some of the posters: if I don't have more than what....15 posts, I don't qualify to air my concerns?, Or I have a soft butt, or because someone doesn't like the impact like noise that comes from the front end while backing up and turning the wheel we have no right to be concerned? I hate the impact like noise and it quite frankly scares me it's so loud and the feeling of it sends a negative feeling thoughout you body. The rear end skips around like a jackrabbit on these Conti summer tires that come on the car. Another $1000 expense to fix with new tires. And one more thing, I appreciate the concern you have Katie of Customer Service and I even recommended something that would satisfy me. My son who is a salesman for Lexus said to me: Cadillac/the dealership should at the least replace your tires, have you sign a waiver if needed, write it off to warranty, to show and attempt to fix and the loyalty they want to avoid losing. GM's customer loyalty program with Corvette's offers $3000 with a new Corvette purchase for that loyalty. Until Cadillac does something I don't have a good thing to say Katie. Again your concern is appreciated but I feel like I'm preaching to the choir. Nothing has been done to fix or even attempt to fix the problem.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.