19" Wheels/Summer Tires on CTS Coupe....no good! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 19" Wheels/Summer Tires on CTS Coupe....no good! in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; This is hardly a "concealed condition". I will try to refrain from name-calling like the other poster just did, but ...
    kingtj is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 Coupe, Premium edition

Re: 19" Wheels/Summer Tires on CTS Coupe....no good!

This is hardly a "concealed condition". I will try to refrain from name-calling like the other poster just did, but no -- you're simply misunderstanding things here, at best.

1. The AWD CTS Coupes did NOT come with 19" wheels from the factory. This is probably one reason why. They wanted to avoid this issue completely.

2. If you (like me) have 19" wheels on your AWD Coupe anyway, this is STILL not a big issue, assuming it's only happening at "full lock" of the steering wheel (as the TSB discusses). Honestly, you should really NEVER turn a steering wheel to "full lock" on any vehicle, unless you don't have power steering. Full-lock greatly increases the hydraulic pressure in the power steering and can damage the pump. (The owners' manual for many cars even states something along the lines of "warranty may be voided if the steering wheel is held in the full lock position more than 5 seconds at a time". I've seen that several times.)

3. This is typical behavior for most 4WD or AWD vehicles on the market. How many of the previous cars you owned were AWD or 4WD, and how many of them did you put larger than factory size wheels/tires on?

Quote Originally Posted by rtrocchia View Post
    OK Check this out. Brought it back this morning to Caddy service dept. I get handed a bulletin: "PIC 4986C Binding Felt Driving Forward or In Reverse with Steering At Full lock - Nov 4, 2011."
    Condition/Concern:
    A customer may Comment that they feel a bind condition when the car is in reverse. etc, etc.
    It is more noticeable on wet surfaces and in vehicles with the FE3 and FE4 Suspensions. The tire used with the FE1 suspension has a taller sidewall and does not exhibit the stick-slip condition.
    Cares affected: 2010 -2012 FE3 QOM CTS, CTS Wagon with Continental ContiSport 3 (19") tires may exhibit this condition
    Recommendation/Instructions: Do not attempt any repairs for this condition, this is a normal characteristic
    Additional SI Keywords: bumping, chunking, chatter, crow hopping hop jerking, lot noise turn

What a crock of crap. No fix. Live with it they say. So there is nothing to do except spend more of my money to change from the 19" wheels/tires to the standard 18" that come standard on the CTS Coupe which do not have the problem
    backing up and the front end sounds like it is binding up serverly and making a loud clunking noise as you back up over and over. I backed out of a spot and it clanked 3 or 4 times either left or right didn't matter.
    In addition to the front end problem the rear end tires skips when accelerating in a turn more than 25 mph. So I have to go slowly when at a stop and making a turn so that the back end doesn't skip. This car is not
    engineered properly and the public should know about this concealed condition before you buy this car with these issues in these wheels/tires.
    I have NEVER had a car that did these things. I'm 60, and have always had nice cars but none had these issues.

TwiceHorn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Mine with 18s does this too on the "polished" and painted floors of parking garages with the wheel short of lock. As the TSB mentions, it's a stick-slip condition because of grabby and wide tires. Nothing to be concerned about. Happens with performances cars.

ByByBMW is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I will confirm this. My 08 Corvette Z06, not AWD, does this also. It is normal for the size and type of cars we have. Relax and enjoy.

jadams9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Sport Wagon 3.6

I just bought a used 2010 CTS Wagon Premium with FE3 Continental ContiSport 3 (19"). Owned it for a couple months now. Yes the wheels do bind if I turn the wheels to the stops when backing out of the driveway.

I don't mind though because this issue allowed me to buy this car at a very steep discount because it was declared a "lemon" (w ~1500 miles) due to this issue and bought back from the original owner by GM. GM then auctioned it off. Another GM dealer bought it at auction and put another 5k miles on it as a company car. Then I bought it fully loaded with 7500 miles on it for less than $29k. - $53-$56k car at almost 50% discount. Bingo!

rtrocchia is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS Coupe

REALLY? I guess my last car I traded in for the CTS, a 2007 Porsche 911 (997) cab 4 doesn't qualify to you. You obviously are a young punk who would have no idea of what a car SHOULD DRIVE LIKE. When you have owned as many high performance cars as this 60 year old moron...sport car enthusiast then you can start calling out with your brainless vocab. J O!

----------

Hey Moron. Get a life. You know less than cucumber.I've replied on this thread. If you know how to read check it out.

cadillacmike68 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brg, 09 STS N* Platinum, 11 CTS Premium

There's no need for all the name calling here folks.

OP didn't say his car has AWD, so we'll assume it doesn't. My 2008 CTS4 has the same issue with the 18" wheels in tight turns at low speed - annoying wheel hop. We're getting a RWD to replace it as soon as i find one with the right options & color.

Can you see evidence if the tire rubbing or does it just "feel / sound" like its rubbing against the wheel well? It might just be sounding like that. further, these bigger coupes & sedans are not like the little sports cars in this regard. I don't think your old porsche even had tires this large on it, so it's not valid comparison.

marktanner is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 2.0T 6M Black Raven/Caramel

I had an '08 CTS with the FE3 suspension that came with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires in the 18" size, and it did the skipping thing while reversing at full lock, especially at cold temperatures. Then I got the CTS-V, which also came with PS2s, and it did it even worse, especially as the tires wore. I currently have Continental DWs on my car, and this no longer happens, even at sub-freezing temperatures.

This issue has been extensively discussed on the CTS-V forum. The reality is that this is a result of the suspension geometry causing extreme slip angles while at full lock, and with some tires they skip while reversing, especially at low temperatures, when summer tires have much less grip. It only occurs at full lock while reversing, and never seems to happen while driving forward.

While the sound and feel is disturbing when it occurs, it is not dangerous at all, and causes no damage to the car or tires. It is indeed a normal occurrence for these cars, and others as well that have similar suspension geometry and sticky summer tires. The car is not broken or faulty and is actually performing normally, even if that particular aspect is unpleasant. The fix that I found was to change tire brands, but I made the switch for cost and longevity reasons. The lack of tire skipping was just a pleasant bonus, as I was unaware that this change would do it. The standard Michelins were otherwise outstanding on both cars, just very expensive.

anhandrew is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade ESV modded out, 2010 CTS Performance FE3

Hi, Ihave the 2010 CTS with the 19" wheels and continental summer tires when i first got the car and backed out of my driveway I notice the same thing happening. Winter was coming and I changed to the Continental DWS and never had the problem again.

Also the other bonus to this was the ride was quieter and smoother. I like the tight handling of the cts but the ride was a bit harsh so the tires made it more compliant.

Andrew

00 ss is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

I have a 08 CTS4 with the 18" wheels. I bought it used so I don't know what the original tires were, but it has the Michelin Pilot MXM somethings in 235/50/18 on it now. I don't get any noise, or the skipping, but I do notice that it takes a lot more throttle to reverse with the wheels cut hard (like when backing into a parking spot). I'm glad I read this thread because now I think I know why.

What width are the 19's they use on the newer models? I don't consider a 235 to be all that wide.

My 2000 Camaro SS will exhibit a noise that I think is probably the same as described here when reversing near full lock, but only if I put the 315 Hoosier autocross rubber on it.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

There has been lots of discussion on the CTS-V Forum about this. It is all about the performance tires and nothing else. It is something we just need to live with. If it is so disturbing the only answer is to change your tires to another style/class such as a touring tire.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Yep, just echoing the fact our CTS-Vs do it with the stock PS2 tires.

As for living with it, I gladly do. All it is is a tire construction quirk on our type of suspension exacerbated by the larger wheels/narrower sidewalls.

There is nothing breaking, nothing wearing abnormally. So just enjoy the car. Since its only in reverse at full lock, what's the big deal?
    tinman and tinman like this.

louiefl99 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by anhandrew View Post
    Hi, Ihave the 2010 CTS with the 19" wheels and continental summer tires when i first got the car and backed out of my driveway I notice the same thing happening. Winter was coming and I changed to the Continental DWS and never had the problem again.
    I had the same problem that I never noticed on my 19" wheel summer tire Coupe until the tires were well worn. I switched to the same Continental DWS and the problem is completely gone. Not sure if it is the brand of tire or the new tires actually have tread blocks that can squirm when turning.

CTS_Vette is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

I have this noise on my 2012 CTS Coupe. It was a slight clunk when the car was new. I now have 8000 miles on it and the noise has gotten really bad. I took it in to the dealer. I was shown the same GM bulletin. I find the "just live with it" unacceptable. GM has known about this for several years. I feel I should have been informed of this issue before I purchased the 19" performance package. I don't see how Cadillac can compete with the other "premium brands out there and sell a new car with a known issue like this. I have owned two Cadillacs and more than a dozen GM vehicles and this will make me seriously consider whether I want to own another GM vehicle.

rtrocchia is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS Coupe

CTS_Vette, I can only tell you this problem for me as well as the hop in the rear end has gotten worse and worse. Is it the tires? I was told by the service mgr at my dealership as well as the service advisor, the prior who rode with me as I demonstrated the problems that the combination of the summer tires being very still and hard, the suspension, the 19" wheen/tire size all contributed to this problem and the tech bulliten leaves me with no hope. And it has gotten worse. The wheel hop is to the point of TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE. Wife says, if this was my car it would be gone! Back up, cut the wheel, bang, bang. Go forward and turn, hop hop hop hop. Yea it is awful. Good luck. There is no hope. Haven't found a single solid person who has found a solution. More have found to have the same problems. Just think, you wake up tomorrow and as long as you have this car you will have the same problems.

TrimThis is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 TG CTS Coupe

rtrocchia..." Haven't found a single solid person who has found a solution" if you go back and re-read your post on " the worst car I have ever owned " I offered a possible solution.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.