Permachrome on my 19" Factory Rims
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Permachrome on my 19" Factory Rims in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; So I decided to get the permachrome chroming on my 19" rims. I really like how it looks against the ...
    exm22psu is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS DI AWD Premium

Permachrome on my 19" Factory Rims

So I decided to get the permachrome chroming on my 19" rims. I really like how it looks against the black CTS! Pic attached. By the way, no connection at all to the company that does this, just sharing ... makes the rims really stand out even over polished ...
    Attached Images
    wcthunder and EVH5150 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

GMFAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Premium w/20" chrome

Re: Permachrome on my 19" Factory Rims

Wheel really good nice, but ya need to get a wider upright shot of the entire car.
    dsteinmann and dsteinmann like this.

MTL_CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 Cadillac CTS-4 Coupe Raven Black

agreed

Loveldos is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillacs: '13 CTS Cpe, '01 SLS, '71 Eldo Conv

Agree, too. Also, please tell what is involved and what places offer doing this, including some approximate costs. Thanks!!!

Hey all, I am getting it detailed on Monday. I'll do some photos after that If you are interested in more info, send me a PM and I'll be glad to give ya the contact info for the company I got them from ...

MotownPimp is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS Coupe Performance Stick

Does this involve having your OEM wheels chromed? If so, be careful. I was going to have my OEM wheels chromed on my 350Z until I discovered the wheels were failing after going through the process.

This isn't actually chrome, but a process that mimics the look of chrome ... The warranty it work 5 years/100,000 miles. The owner extended the warranty to 7 years so I would buy a set ... he seems to really stand behind this product.

agreif is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS DI AWD

Def interested if you could pm me the info.

The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

Just Google Permachrome Reviews -- lots of discussion, pro and con, on other forums.

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

Is this pvd?

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Has anyone else gone with PVD [Physical Vapor Deposition] PermaChrome factory rims on their CTS? If so can you possibly post some photos of your car with the wheels installed? Thanks in advance.

Per a separate thread I posted recently, I have an issue with 3 of my 4 polished factory rpo PJ2 19 inch polished wheels, in that the clear coat on the rims has become noticeably dull and cloudy. I've discovered a company located in Troy, Michigan (Detroit Wheel & Tire) that offers authentic OEM Cadillac wheels [including my own rpo PJ2 (FE5) 19 inch wheels] finished in PVD permachrome, in either bright chrome or black chrome finish. They'll allow a wheel exchange, whereby they'll provide you a credit for the same-model OEM wheels (wheel cores) that come off your car. If I was to drive to their facility in Michigan (it's a 2 hour drive from where I'm located) they'll install four PVD permachrome rpo PJ2 OEM wheels on my car for a total price of $941.00 (taxes & installation included), with me providing them (trading in) my old OEM wheels. Their installation process includes road force balancing of all four wheels as well as TPMS sensor transfer and system reprogramming.
    I'm tempted to go this route, however I have a concern that the bright chrome appearance of the PVD chrome rim will appear "over the top" (provide excessive bling) as compared to OEM PJ2 polished rims in an as-new/proper condition.
    Any comments/opinions on what I'm considering?

Link to web page for available PVD chrome wheel: https://detroitwheelandtire.com/cadi...2014-8734.html

I've discovered that Detroit Wheel & Tire are currently offering a couple of (rpo PJ2) PVD chrome 19" wheels w/tires complete packages on eBay for a 2008-2013 CTS. Unfortunately there's no wheel exchange allowed for these particular packages. Here are the links:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/19-CADILLAC-...-/111288614139
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/19-CADILLAC-...item2a3bae95b2

Video link for PVD PermaChrome process:

/RAB

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Besides $249, what's the difference between the two ebay sets of wheels?

I think they look good, and I like that style of wheel. Me? I'd get the black chrome for my silver ride. One man's opinion. Either way you won't go wrong.

From what I have read on PVD, it is a good quality coating. I have looked into using that a couple of times for my metal business, but it was more expensive than powdercoating. But it's better to the best of my knowledge.

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    Besides $249, what's the difference between the two ebay sets of wheels?

I think they look good, and I like that style of wheel. Me? I'd get the black chrome for my silver ride. One man's opinion. Either way you won't go wrong.

From what I have read on PVD, it is a good quality coating. I have looked into using that a couple of times for my metal business, but it was more expensive than powdercoating. But it's better to the best of my knowledge.
    Hey Paul, thanks.
    One of the wheel-tire sets on eBay has "almost new" original equipment Goodyear Eagle RSA2 tires (with approx. 90% of tread life remaining), while the other set comes with "brand new" Goodyear Eagle RSA2 tires - therefore the higher price for that package.
    I really like the Goodyear Eagle RSA2 (carbon fiber-reinforced sidewall) tires on my '11 CTS. They provide great handling, an excellent ride and are surprisingly good in the snow - I have absolutely zero complaints about them.

I think you're right. You can't go wrong with either PVD finish of this wheel, whether it be bright chrome or black chrome. The fact that their PVD chrome wheel comes with a 5 year warranty means they stand behind the process.

I just have to decide whether I want very shiny bright chrome wheels on my CTS. I run sort of hot and cold on the chrome look as far as wheels are concerned. Are chrome wheels becoming passé at this stage? You certainly don't see them much on European cars, where they generally go for a more subtle look (painted or polished aluminum).
    I suppose a lot depends on the style of wheel if you're going with a chrome finish. IMO the factory PJ2 19 inch wheel would look good with pretty much any finish. Just not a dull/cloudy clear coat finish on top of polished!
    /R

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Thanks, Richard. I didn't look at the ebay ads too closely, obviously. With tires that seems to be a good deal.

You are right as to final finish. On your silver steed the chromies would indeed look good. I just want more of a murdered/subtle look for mine. But I would think long and hard about the chrome. Bright chrome Cragar SS on front with chrome reverse wheels on the back of a '55 Chevy is definitely the ticket. For our CTS...you have a win/win.

Mrjb9475 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    I live near troy mi and I'm thinking about going this route too Detroit wheel and tire is very well known in the area and stand by their product many dealers around here use them maybe we can get a deal on two sets 1 for your car 1 for mine and we can go to lunch during install

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.