Cadillac CTS, how reliable are they ?
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45
Like Tree4Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Cadillac CTS, how reliable are they ? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hi How reliable are the 2011+ models of the cadillac CTS? I have a malibo 2010 and honestly I have ...
  1. #1
    aliitp is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34

    Cadillac CTS, how reliable are they ?

    Hi

    How reliable are the 2011+ models of the cadillac CTS?
    I have a malibo 2010
    and honestly I have made a bad decision ever buying a Chevrolet
    only at 14K and all sorts of problems !

    so what do you think of the cadillac CTS 3.6 both the coupe and the sedan ?
    are they reliable ?
    they seems so but i thought id better ask the REAL owners and not just trusting the reviews nor be fooled by the looks !

    thanks folks..

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    droptopron is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '10 3.0 AWD Sedan
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    126

    Re: Cadillac CTS, how reliable are they ?

    I have a 2010 CTS4 which is for the most part the same car. It is one year old with 6K miles and has been trouble free so far. That being said, others can have the same or similar car and have different results. Cars are complex these days & luxury cars even more so.

  4. #3
    aliitp is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34
    Thread Starter

    Re: Cadillac CTS, how reliable are they ?

    Quote Originally Posted by droptopron View Post
    I have a 2010 CTS4 which is for the most part the same car. It is one year old with 6K miles and has been trouble free so far. That being said, others can have the same or similar car and have different results. Cars are complex these days & luxury cars even more so.
    so its a matter of luck your are saying ?
    I used to think its a matter of usage
    but i am greatly disspointed with my brand new car
    they didnt build it well
    i care for my car like crazy !
    yet i got all sorts of trouble (similar to getting a used car)

    but seriousley is cadillac any better of a brand ?

  5. #4
    928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,026

    Re: Cadillac CTS, how reliable are they ?

    Quote Originally Posted by aliitp View Post
    How reliable are the 2011+ models of the cadillac CTS? I have a malibo 2010 and honestly I have made a bad decision ever buying a Chevrolet only at 14K and all sorts of problems !

    so what do you think of the cadillac CTS 3.6 both the coupe and the sedan ? are they reliable ? they seems so but i thought id better ask the REAL owners and not just trusting the reviews nor be fooled by the looks !
    Quote Originally Posted by aliitp View Post
    so its a matter of luck your are saying ? I used to think its a matter of usage but i am greatly disspointed with my brand new car they didnt build it well
    i care for my car like crazy ! yet i got all sorts of trouble (similar to getting a used car)

    but seriousley is cadillac any better of a brand ?
    Substitute 2008 CTS for 2010 Malibu, and I could have written your posts myself - except that I was fooled by rave reviews and good looks.

    Styling, performance, features, and options are typically a cut above other GM brands at the time of new model intro, but Cadillac is just another GM brand when it comes to hit-or-miss quality and reliability - in my opinion.

  6. #5
    nguyennhatquang is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): DeVille DHS, 2004 Mercedes C200K, V Coupe, BMW 750li
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ha Noi Viet Nam
    Age
    26
    Posts
    254

    Re: Cadillac CTS, how reliable are they ?

    the V8 is good..very reliable..
    but the V6 is not 100% well...i saw in real life..many of people buy it..and before decided the V8 i test and ask many opiniion about the V6
    about 30% of it burning oil in first 50k Miles..because the problem of the engine..
    10% got the problem because the owner doesn't change oil, but it doesn't count..
    this 3.6 engine is not GM engine..it is OPEL design...this engine is noisy ( i don't know why) but u can heard it and compare with the V8 and see..
    the V8 the sound is the Exhaust and the engine is quiet..the V6 it got a lot of engine noise, especially when u rev it..it looks like timming chain noise...

    before i purchance my V8..i bought the used V8 Norsthar because i don't want to dump lot of money to the new car and after that i disapointed like before
    my Norsthar now it 200.000 KM and it doesn't burn any oil..the engine is very good...

    i got the 3 benz, 1 Audi before i own the cadillac...i can swear the V8 Cadillac is more reliable...
    my father benz is the S500 W220 2004 modei..it stay in the services all the time..
    Air suspension leak... some time smart key got a problem..when u wake up u put the key it and it doesn't turn..and many many maintenance which i doesn't remember. but the most common problem about my father benz is the Air suspension..it died in every 50.000km..and you need to replace it or it doesn't run.

    my CLS 550 got a problem with Transmission..it doesn't shift.. it was the common problem...as i remember i change the Valve Body for the 7 Speed automatic at 30.000 km...and at 50.000km odo..the engine must overhaut because the timing was wrong..it is the Balance Shaft problem..at that time i decided i sell the car..what kind of car need overhaut the engine in 50.000 km...and it is the common problem with the benz 273 and 272 engine (the engine code benz use)
    my C200 Kompressor was pretty good....it got some minor problem like every benz got is the Ignition switch..but as far that is the only problem it got when it hit 50.000 km..and A/C compressor also..same as every benz..

    my Audi A4 2.0 TSI..i sold it in 20.000km..because it burn oil..if u drive it hard it burn 1L/1000km....i don't want to change the piston in every 50.000km...of course it is warranty but it make you anoyying...
    i paid 70k for my car (car in here is expensive because of tax) and it burn oil..with chinese crap metal engine.. my car VW recall and swap the brand new engine for free..but i still decided to get risk of it..because that reason..
    many of my friend who got 3.6 TSI..3.0, or Q5 Q7 A6...same..

    i hope it help you, that is my opinion in real life..from real owner...

    Regard

  7. #6
    The_Judge's Avatar
    The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

    Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hermosa Beach, California
    Posts
    1,253

    Re: Cadillac CTS, how reliable are they ?

    I had no problems of any significance with my fully loaded 2008 CTS 3.6DI. Now driving a 2011 CTS Premium. Love the car!

  8. #7
    928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,026

    Re: Cadillac CTS, how reliable are they ?

    Quote Originally Posted by nguyennhatquang View Post
    this 3.6 engine is not GM engine..it is OPEL design
    Wrong!

    Suggested reading for nguyennhatquang:

    "Nearly a decade ago, GM decided to step up to its urgent need for an all-new, high-tech V-6 architecture. A small project center was formed in February 1999 at GM Powertrain in Warren, MI [USA]. Tim Cyrus came on board that September as chief engineer [for GM's high-feature V-6 and Northstar premium V-8].
    'We brought in people from [Holden] Australia, because we knew we were going to manufacture and sell it there,' he says. 'Sweden, because we knew we were going to be there, and Germany and the U.S."

    http://wardsautoworld.com/ar/auto_st...s_9/index.html
    adman01 and adman01 like this.

  9. #8
    nguyennhatquang is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): DeVille DHS, 2004 Mercedes C200K, V Coupe, BMW 750li
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ha Noi Viet Nam
    Age
    26
    Posts
    254

    Re: Cadillac CTS, how reliable are they ?

    Quote Originally Posted by 928S View Post
    Wrong!

    Suggested reading for nguyennhatquang:

    "Nearly a decade ago, GM decided to step up to its urgent need for an all-new, high-tech V-6 architecture. A small project center was formed in February 1999 at GM Powertrain in Warren, MI [USA]. Tim Cyrus came on board that September as chief engineer [for GM's high-feature V-6 and Northstar premium V-8].
    'We brought in people from [Holden] Australia, because we knew we were going to manufacture and sell it there,' he says. 'Sweden, because we knew we were going to be there, and Germany and the U.S."

    http://wardsautoworld.com/ar/auto_st...s_9/index.html
    i'm not wrong sir..
    you can compare the previous GEN1 CTS vs GEN2 CTS...i mean the block or head.. and..the ECM was BOSCH
    it assembly in USA..but the DESIGN was Belong to OPEL...or you can go to dealer and ask many mechanical who work in the Cadillac..they will say the same as i said..u are confuse between the Design and where it manufacturer same as me before..

    first time i was confused why ? after take a lot of reading from internet..
    the Bosch ME for 3.6
    photo-3.jpg

    and the original 6.2..
    IMG_0909-1.jpg

  10. #9
    nguyennhatquang is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): DeVille DHS, 2004 Mercedes C200K, V Coupe, BMW 750li
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ha Noi Viet Nam
    Age
    26
    Posts
    254

    Re: Cadillac CTS, how reliable are they ?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Judge View Post
    I had no problems of any significance with my fully loaded 2008 CTS 3.6DI. Now driving a 2011 CTS Premium. Love the car!
    as long as you change the oil regular like every engine...and when you hit 30.000 miles...if it doesn't burn oil that mean it good...
    that is the mechanical from Cadillac advise me...when i decide to buy the CTS.

    but anyway..30.000 miles still better than the crappy audi i got..

  11. #10
    Wag-O-Neer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-4 Wagon Premium 3.6 w/FE2
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    212

    Re: Cadillac CTS, how reliable are they ?

    I bought a 2010 CTS4 Wagon, with the 3.6, yesterday with 27k miles. In 24 hrs of ownership, it hasn't blow'd up or nuttin'

  12. #11
    The_Judge's Avatar
    The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

    Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hermosa Beach, California
    Posts
    1,253

    Re: Cadillac CTS, how reliable are they ?

    Opel is a wholly owned subsidiary of General Motors. Has been since 1931. In any case, what's your point? The CTS 3.6DI is a superb engine, cranking out 318 horses and 275 lb-ft on regular gas, and it's responsive, smooth, and reliable, so who cares who originally designed it?

  13. #12
    CTS VADER is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS AWD
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    5

    Re: Cadillac CTS, how reliable are they ?

    I have a 2009 CTS4 with 58,000 miles on it today. It was a Enterprise rental with 17,000 miles on it when I purchased it in 2009. Car has had two issues. 1- CD was skipping in the radio unit. 2- I had a low speed ticking noise which disappeared over 40 mph. The radio was replaced under warranty, and the ticking noise resulted in the dealer replacing the entire rear end unit, under warrant . Neither item resulted in any additional cost to me. Dealer supplied a loaner car over the 3 days the car was in the shop, for rear end replacement.

    Love the car.

  14. #13
    JackB is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS AWD DI
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    393

    Re: Cadillac CTS, how reliable are they ?

    I love it when someone says it was a great car except the whole rear end unit had to be replaced just because they did not pay for it. The CTS has the potential to be an excellent car but still earns the black dot in Consumer reports for reliability. My 2009 AWD has overall been a good car but still had recall for oil problem, returned for drive shaft hitting tunnel under load and shortly I will be returning to check out a clunk in the rear end when down shifting at low speed. At least the CTS sunroof problem was not like the recent BMW ones where some exploded.

  15. #14
    nguyennhatquang is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): DeVille DHS, 2004 Mercedes C200K, V Coupe, BMW 750li
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ha Noi Viet Nam
    Age
    26
    Posts
    254

    Re: Cadillac CTS, how reliable are they ?

    to any body...
    i'm not here to say negative about Cadillac...or any brand..
    i'm just the people who love the car and want the car which is reliable and less problem...

    i just want a luxury which everyday when i wake up..i hit the button and it run..and i'm sure every people in here want the same as me.
    maybe my negative comment about German design because maybe i'm too unlucky or for smt else..every car i own...it is a piece of crap and i alway maintenance it well...oil change in every 3000 miles...

  16. #15
    ctsfan2009 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    240

    Re: Cadillac CTS, how reliable are they ?

    I've only had my '09 AWD since August, but have had a few problems with it. Wouldn't consider it unreliable at this point as it hasn't left me stranded or failed to start and every car I have ever owned has had some type of problem or another. Reading through this forum, there are some who have had no problems at all and others who have had many. I have noticed that '08s and '09s seem to be the most common as I see far fewer complaints about reliability of '10 and newer models. And V models are rarely mentioned in regards to problems, although they are likely far fewer than standard models in terms of number on the road.

    ----------

    I'd have to dig out some old magazines from the early 2000s to get specifics, but IIRC the 3.6 was a clean sheet design. Most of the car mags had reports and updated on it way back in the early 2000s. The 2003 CTS's engine was an Opel engine, but the 2004 3.6(and later 3.0, 2.8, and DI variants) are part of the GM "high feature" family of DOHC engines.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting