Cadillac CTS, how reliable are they ? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree4Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Cadillac CTS, how reliable are they ? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; level of service when you do have a problem with the car is also very important to paraphrase an old ...
    RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: Cadillac CTS, how reliable are they ?

level of service when you do have a problem with the car is also very important

to paraphrase an old adage ... "it's not that you fell down, it's how you get back up"

all cars can/will have problems but how you're taken care of when you are one of the unfortunate owners who has to visit the dealer is what's really important

GM (and Cadillac specifically) have really started to step up in this area and while experiences can widely vary from dealership to dealership Cadillac is really trying hard to get those sub-standard dealers to 'step up their game' - and i think it's working
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

Quote Originally Posted by BreakingThrough View Post
    ...Your Lexus dealer will be happy to sell you beige ES350s for the rest of your life, sounds like that's what you're looking for.
    No thanks. I find the snotty Lexus ads to be so off-putting that I can't even bring myself to walk into one of their showrooms. I'd drive a Yugo before buying a Lexus!

MoFex is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    .............GM (and Cadillac specifically) have really started to step up in this area and while experiences can widely vary from dealership to dealership Cadillac is really trying hard to get those sub-standard dealers to 'step up their game' - and i think it's working
    I concur with this one. My experience with the dealership and GM Customer Service has so far been very good. Now what Cadillac needs to do is to improve quality and reliability. This is based on my 08 model. It seems though that the later year models have improved quite a bit.....

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Yea I drove a rental 2010 CTS with ultraview roof from Raleigh to Wilmington on tuesday night ... and was really happy with how quiet the roof was

there was a bit of wind noise from one of the passenger side doors (probably needs a new weatherstrip) but it wasn't that bad
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

ctsfan2009 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4

>>>My experience with the dealership and GM Customer Service has so far been very good. Now what Cadillac needs to do is to improve quality and reliability. This is based on my 08 model. It seems though that the later year models have improved quite a bit..... <<<

I agree with you 100%. As I've posted previously, I was a bit disappointed with my first service visit last fall. When I had the car in several weeks ago for the steering issue and the radio not functioning properly, things went much more smoothly. While the radio did not get fixed properly on this visit, I did get a call from Cadilac customer satisfaction asking about my experience. I relayed both my satisfaction with the steering gear replacement but also that the radio was still not fixed. IIRC, it was a Saturday they called me and on Monday morning, I had a call from my service advisor to set up an appointment to resolve the issue. It turned out to be a simple configuration which had not been done and it got fixed promptly. I too think they are trying to improve the customer service experience at GM as well as the quality of their products. I'm hoping that with all of the changes that went on mid 2009(new GM) that we are seeing higher quality components. I have said for years that GM has some of the best designed and engineered cars on the roads, especially their higher end models. What kills them is the poor quality from their suppliers. Based on what I've seen here with the drop in problems owners of '10 and later models are reporting, here's hoping that something truly good is coming from the whole bankrupcy/new GM mess. I've always liked Cadillacs, even in their floaty and FWD years and have wanted to see the brand re-emerge as world leader as I'm too young to remember when the brand was considered that before. Their current line-up and future products point to that if they can keep the quality gremlins at bay. Yes, these cars are packed with technology, but so is just about any other car out there.

MotownPimp is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS Coupe Performance Stick

I disagree with those above who seem to say you have to choose between a car that is solid & reliable and one that is fun to drive. My Nissan 350 Z was both. A driver's car but never had a problem of any kind with it. I hope the Coupe does as well....or at least close.

I'm a supporter of CR; I don't buy anything costing over a buck without consulting CR. With that said, its take on the Z is usually negative & the opposite of my experience.

For those of you hating on the Lexus, you really need to go drive one. Our RX350 SUV (1st Lexus for us) is as fine a vehicle as I've every driven. Comfortable, solid, lots of "go" for an SUV. Would it replace my Z or Coupe as a driver's car? Not a chance. But when ever we need more room, etc & get in the Lexus, I always think, "Damn this is a fine machine".

The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

Quote Originally Posted by MotownPimp View Post
    I disagree with those above who seem to say you have to choose between a car that is solid & reliable and one that is fun to drive. My Nissan 350 Z was both. A driver's car but never had a problem of any kind with it. I hope the Coupe does as well....or at least close.

I'm a supporter of CR; I don't buy anything costing over a buck without consulting CR. With that said, its take on the Z is usually negative & the opposite of my experience.

For those of you hating on the Lexus, you really need to go drive one. Our RX350 SUV (1st Lexus for us) is as fine a vehicle as I've every driven. Comfortable, solid, lots of "go" for an SUV. Would it replace my Z or Coupe as a driver's car? Not a chance. But when ever we need more room, etc & get in the Lexus, I always think, "Damn this is a fine machine".
    Well, yeah -- so was my 1971 BMW 2002. But by comparison to the 2008 - 2012 CTS, it was a troglodyte -- carburetor (I learned early on how to clean the needle valve, which was always clogging up), no electronics to speak of (after-market AC and radio), manual 4-speed, crank windows (which broke quite often), 13" wheels with manual disc brakes, an outrageous 121HP from a dual overhead cam 4-banger, etc. etc. Rebuilt the engine twice, the tranny once, and drove it for 14 years. My favorite car of all time! Not sure my ass would fit in the seat these days. ;-)

SteveE9C6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD

Bought a 2011 AWD CTS Premium yesterday. Nothings fallen off yet! Traded in my 2006 BMW 530i that had become painfully expensive once out of CPO warranty.
    My wife hated the BMW ride.... She really likes the CTS. Since I got this certified used with the warranty out to 100k, I will see how this turns out. I like the car just fine.

smooth_ride is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS AWD

Reliability is not very good in my opinion. I had just got back from Europe and went to turn off the ignition and take the key out. It would not come out. I was ready to go to sleep, but had to stay awake for a tech to come out and turn it off. He then showed me how to turn it back on to get to a dealer. OnStar saved me in that case, but should I really have to pay for a backup plan?

I have a laundry list of problems that just never seem to get fixed.

I just finished looking at edmunds.com Tech Bulletins. There's quite a few there.

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, new engine Nov '13 @ 44Kmi.

Quote Originally Posted by ctsfan2009 View Post
    ...Yes, these cars [GM/Cadillac/CTS] are packed with technology, but so is just about any other car out there.
    Good point.

Also most of the multiple problems experienced by CTS owners are the basic things, not complicated high-tech stuff. GM has designed and built cars for 100+ years, and yet it sometimes seems as if 2nd gen (2008) CTS was GM’s first.

exm22psu is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS DI AWD Premium

It does seem from the numbers that are coming in on car reliability that the CTS is improving. However, having a 09 CTS I have to say that I have had a lot of the same problems as others on this board. Furthermore, it's become clear to me that theses issues are often supplier issues. The latest one is a new seat frame for the passenger's side as mine has begun to "rock" back and forth. I still love the look and drive of the car but didn't appreciate putting down the big chunk of cash for an extended warranty because I fear these issues might continue after the bumper to bumper expires. Nevertheless, I still love driving it.

cyclopean is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    I had a base model 2007 CTS v6 for 4 years and put 96K km's on it. Had ZERO issues with it. Now I have a 3.0L 2011 CTS it's currently at 17K and no issues yet. Very reliable car for me and I live in a location with harsh winters. (Nova Scotia, Canada)

rlum is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 09 AWD DI CTS

I've had my '09 CTS4 for almost 3 years and 47K miles. Besides routine maintenance and the occasional recall notice (heated washer fluid, re-program ECU, etc) it's never been in the shop. The moonroof did get to be a bit noisy after awhile, but after a little research here on the forum I hit the rubber molding with a little dielectric grease and it fixed it right up.

My CTS has been rock-solid reliable

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

That is great to hear! I am glad to hear that you CTS has been so reliable to you! Reliable and beauty, what more could you ask for.
    Breanne
    Cadillac Customer Service

TomZ is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 Premium, White Diamond/Cocoa

Quote Originally Posted by nguyennhatquang View Post
    to any body...
    i'm not here to say negative about Cadillac...or any brand..
    i'm just the people who love the car and want the car which is reliable and less problem...

i just want a luxury which everyday when i wake up..i hit the button and it run..and i'm sure every people in here want the same as me.
    maybe my negative comment about German design because maybe i'm too unlucky or for smt else..every car i own...it is a piece of crap and i alway maintenance it well...oil change in every 3000 miles...
    You're operating the car in a harsh environment, high heat, humidity and close to the ocean. I'm going to guess the fuel in Viet Nam may not be optimum as far as octane and consistency of quality. I don't know what the quality of the lubricants are, that are available to you, but I'll guess they may be less than optimum. Combine harsh operating environment, subpar fuel and lubricants and you have a recipe for "bad luck". I wouldn't worry so much about the frequency of changing the oil, rather concern myself with the quality of the oil. If you heed the oil monitoring system and use Mobil 1 or any conforming synthetic oil, your "luck" may change for the better. As far as fuel quality goes, you have a problem there. I would consider looking into a supplemental fuel filtering system.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.