Cadillac CTS, how reliable are they ? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Cadillac CTS, how reliable are they ? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by nguyennhatquang ...it is a piece of crap and i alway maintenance it well...oil change in every 3000 ...
    The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

Re: Cadillac CTS, how reliable are they ?

Quote Originally Posted by nguyennhatquang View Post
    ...it is a piece of crap and i alway maintenance it well...oil change in every 3000 miles...
    Changing oil every 3000 miles is a waste of money. Modern synthetic oils such as Mobil 1 are good for 12,000 miles or more.

nguyennhatquang is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): DeVille DHS, 2004 Mercedes C200K, V Coupe, BMW 750li

Quote Originally Posted by The_Judge View Post
    Changing oil every 3000 miles is a waste of money. Modern synthetic oils such as Mobil 1 are good for 12,000 miles or more.
    the weather in my country is very humid...
    the cady dealer in my country or china they recommend Amsoil and 5W40..a litte bit heavier compare with USA 5W30...
    they recomment 5000 Miles oil change because the traffic is terrible..u turn on the engine and idle the car...
    but..for best maintenance i still prefer 3000 miles and i change the transmission fluid every 30.000 miles.

until now..i'm very happy with the V8 Cadillac...and i think my choice until now is correct.. That why GM very succesful at China..the Buick Park Avenue RWD in there is nice..and good...
    Both of my car..
    one is 11 years old...with 200.000 km..and the other is 20.000 km...

i don't want to sell my 200.000km V8..i just want to test and run until it died...when the V8 Cadillac need first overhaut the engine..

i wish when the Cadillac release a new RWD Flagship.. i will swap the S500 to it.

the Cadillac SLS with 4 indipendent seat, the leather in the dash make you want to kiss it when u touch in. it is very nice but the looking is not nice for old people (my father)..it lack of the Cadillac FlagShip styte.
    anyway, it just my opiniion because this SLS sell very well in china..but i prefer the Ciel much more than it..

Z71
    Z71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD Performance Sedan

RE: http://moneyland.time.com/2011/12/19...miles-already/

Stop Changing the Oil Every 3,000 Miles Already!

The idea that the oil must be changed in a car every 3,000 miles or three months is a myth that even Jiffy Lube admits is not true. Nonetheless, the majority of drivers still insist on changing the oil more often than necessary, prompting the state of California to launch an initiative to clue car owners in as to whatís best for automobiles, the environment, and consumersí pocketbooks.

In all cases, the answer boils down to this: For todayís cars, itís almost never necessary to change the oil every 3,000 miles.

[portion gaped]

Why do drivers insist on changing the oil so frequently? Basically, they donít know any better. After years and years of marketing messages have pounded into driversí psyches that an oil change every 3,000 miles is a rule that must be obeyed, itís become a habitóa bad, unnecessarily expensive habit.

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, new engine Nov '13 @ 44Kmi.

Hey...don't knock the 3Kmi. oil change, it's back!

Here in North America, arrival of the first winter season (Dec-Mar) since the recall (Premature Timing Chain Wear, Reprogram ECM/OLM) means that many short-trip and/or city-driven 2008-09 CTS (2010+ dunno) will very likely need ~3Kmi. oil change per mfr's recommendation via the DIC oil life monitor system.

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

Back to the original question….How reliable the 08 CTS is?

I do not think this forum will give you the answer as my observations are that over here there are two type of members: first one absolute GM supporters for whom even if there are major problems but GM fixes them under warranty all is well, and there are others like me who came from different brands and expect something else.

I cannot speak for others but my fully loaded 08 CTS 3.6 DI with 56,000 miles has been more times to the dealer than all my and my wife’s cars combined in our 30+ years of car ownership. And that’s a fact. J.D Powers, True Delta and Consumers Report all found the 08 CTS had reliability issues.

I met with GM and Cadillac corporate representatives and all admitted they did have reliability issues with early CTS’s. Remember it was the “old GM”, company was going through tough financial crisis and its future was unclear.

How is quality and reliability now? I do not know. I can only say every time I visit the dealer there are people with similar problems to mine…..

Still love the car. Pity GM cannot get the quality and reliability right.

As to the design – GM draws on resource in Europe, Australia and North America, with some input from China. It is normal in this global economy. So it is hard to tell who actually designed what in a car….

Below is Consumer Reports current (as of 12/29/11) reliability chart for the Cadillac CTS V6 RWD sedan -- redesign years are in red -- note the vast improvement beginning with the redesigned 2008 model year. However, CU notes the following: "Reliability of the V6 sedan has improved to average, the V6 coupe is well below."

Attachment 84424

ctsfan2009 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4

Interesting graphic. I wonder why '05s were much worse than '04s when there were few changes between those two years. And how is the coupe below average and the sedan average? They are the same car mechanically.

BreakingThrough is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Thunder Gray '08 CTS 3.6 FE2 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    I love it when someone says it was a great car except the whole rear end unit had to be replaced just because they did not pay for it. The CTS has the potential to be an excellent car but still earns the black dot in Consumer reports for reliability. My 2009 AWD has overall been a good car but still had recall for oil problem, returned for drive shaft hitting tunnel under load and shortly I will be returning to check out a clunk in the rear end when down shifting at low speed. At least the CTS sunroof problem was not like the recent BMW ones where some exploded.
    If the problem was fixed under warranty and corrected, I honestly don't think it's all that bad. That is what a warranty is for, after all. Like many have said here, no car is perfect. And as you get into the luxury class-level features, there's a whole lot of things that can go wrong. These aren't manual trans Corollas with crank windows. I have friends and co-workers who drive the whole range of luxury cars, and none has been without problems. My friend with a 335 coupe has had his high-pressure fuel pump replaced twice, and there's still no certainty that the replacements won't continue to fail. A co-worker with an Acura TL had his entire dashboard crack out of warranty to the point where it looked like it had been sitting outside in a junkyard for 25 years. A friend's wife had an Audi A5 lemon law'ed due to constant problems. A friend's brand-new Range Rover Sport with less than 100 miles on it had an electrical malfunction where it kept the right rear brake applied as he drove the car on the freeway, so when he showed up at my house the disc was glowing white hot. Etc., etc., etc.

To me a "great car" is one that I truly love. Meaning I love driving it, I love the looks, and I just have a strong emotional attachment to the car. If I have a couple of relatively minor warranty-covered problems and they are corrected by the dealer and I'm provided a loaner and experience minimal inconvenience overall, that does not make it any less of a great car in my eyes. There are many reliable cars/appliances that are reliable, but not great. It depends on your priorities. Complicated luxury machines with tons of electronics and options are not a good choice for those looking for a car that will never experience a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by BreakingThrough View Post
    If the problem was fixed under warranty and corrected, I honestly don't think it's all that bad. That is what a warranty is for, after all. Like many have said here, no car is perfect. And as you get into the luxury class-level features, there's a whole lot of things that can go wrong. These aren't manual trans Corollas with crank windows. I have friends and co-workers who drive the whole range of luxury cars, and none has been without problems. My friend with a 335 coupe has had his high-pressure fuel pump replaced twice, and there's still no certainty that the replacements won't continue to fail. A co-worker with an Acura TL had his entire dashboard crack out of warranty to the point where it looked like it had been sitting outside in a junkyard for 25 years. A friend's wife had an Audi A5 lemon law'ed due to constant problems. A friend's brand-new Range Rover Sport with less than 100 miles on it had an electrical malfunction where it kept the right rear brake applied as he drove the car on the freeway, so when he showed up at my house the disc was glowing white hot. Etc., etc., etc.

To me a "great car" is one that I truly love. Meaning I love driving it, I love the looks, and I just have a strong emotional attachment to the car. If I have a couple of relatively minor warranty-covered problems and they are corrected by the dealer and I'm provided a loaner and experience minimal inconvenience overall, that does not make it any less of a great car in my eyes. There are many reliable cars/appliances that are reliable, but not great. It depends on your priorities. Complicated luxury machines with tons of electronics and options are not a good choice for those looking for a car that will never experience a problem.
    Very well put.

GT!
    GT! is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Silver 2010 Sedan 3.6 AWD

Yes, i agree with the above also. Another thing to keep in mind when looking at reliability reports to compare cars is to really look at what they are measuring and what the difference is to the average consumer. For example, it may be that the average for a new car in the luxury segment is 2 repair issues per year, so even if the CTS is 50% worse (and I don't think this is the case) you are only taliking about one extra repair per year compared to average (based on my numbers ... not sure if they are way off, but doubt it). Is this a big deal to the individual, and reason to NOT buy a car they like? I think that in general cars have become very reliable and the number of repairs is very low, but there are problem cars from all manufacturers.

-GT

Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    I love it when someone says it was a great car except the whole rear end unit had to be replaced just because they did not pay for it...
    I’m with JackB on this one. And I’ll add that I love it when people praise GM/Cadillac by citing alleged problems that third parties allegedly experienced with virtually every other nameplate that comes to mind. That’s exactly the kind of thinking (mediocrity) that, with help from the UAW, sank GM in the first place.

An automaker’s first challenge is to detect and prevent problems before they reach the customer’s hands. Warranty repairs are a necessary second, and a poor excuse for failing the first.

Assuming the requisite styling and performance, give me a well-sorted-out car without major/multiple problems and you've got a loyal customer. On the other hand, give me a car of lesser quality/reliability and after-the-fact warranty repairs (whoopee!) and I'm shopping the competition.

BreakingThrough is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Thunder Gray '08 CTS 3.6 FE2 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by 928S View Post
    I’m with JackB on this one. And I’ll add that I love it when people praise GM/Cadillac by citing alleged problems that third parties allegedly experienced with virtually every other nameplate that comes to mind. That’s exactly the kind of thinking (mediocrity) that, with help from the UAW, sank GM in the first place.

An automaker’s first challenge is to detect and prevent problems before they reach the customer’s hands. Warranty repairs are a necessary second, and a poor excuse for failing the first.

Assuming the requisite styling and performance, give me a well-sorted-out car without major/multiple problems and you've got a loyal customer. On the other hand, give me a car of lesser quality/reliability and after-the-fact warranty repairs (whoopee!) and I'm shopping the competition.
    It's hardly mediocre thinking -- it's reality. My list of problems my friends have experienced was hardly to praise GM, it was to illustrate that virtually all luxury makes and models are susceptible to problems due the fact that by nature they are very complicated machines.

Your Lexus dealer will be happy to sell you beige ES350s for the rest of your life, sounds like that's what you're looking for.

Musicman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS Radiant Bronze, Performance Collection RWD

80,000 miles and four years on my 08 CTS and the car still drives great. The only problem has been the deer I hit four weeks ago. The car turned out OK.

Quote Originally Posted by BreakingThrough View Post
    Your Lexus dealer will be happy to sell you beige ES350s for the rest of your life, sounds like that's what you're looking for.
    lol...make mine black with beige interior...hmm...Lexus ES350, well, maybe not after 20 years in Porsche and last 4 years in CTS.

You might be GM’s ideal customer. My criteria for what makes a "great car" is certainly higher than yours. Higher than GM’s too, if my CTS and the one referenced above in JackB’s post are any indication.

On a positive note, GM does seem to be improving its quality and reliability, even if somewhat erratically, so let's hope it continues.

Quote Originally Posted by ctsfan2009 View Post
    Interesting graphic. I wonder why '05s were much worse than '04s when there were few changes between those two years. And how is the coupe below average and the sedan average? They are the same car mechanically.
    Welcome to the wild and wonderful world of statistics. CU surveys a huge number of car owners -- 1.3 million for the current charts -- but it doesn't say how many of those own any particular make, model, or year. They do exclude those cars for which they don't have sufficient data to make statistically valid conclusions. And the surveys are completed by persons who may or may not know what they're talking about or who may be very fussy or very tolerant of minor problems. It all balances out IF there are enough responses, which CU apparently thinks it has. In any case, it's a reasonably valid means of comparing one car with another. Of course, it's also no guarantee that a given vehicle will be free of problems or suffer more than average.

As for the coupe vs. the sedan, CU did not elaborate, but I have to assume that their statement was supported by the stats. Perhaps the coupe's additional problems are because the cars are coming off a different line or from a different factory or something, or maybe they're all related to the new body design. Could be a lot of things.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.