iPhone 4 with iOS 5.0 or 5.01 no longer working
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, iPhone 4 with iOS 5.0 or 5.01 no longer working in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I've been using my iPhone 4 in my 2008 CTS DI AWD with the GM cable since I purchased it ...
    Michael_atDell is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS 3.6L DI AWD

iPhone 4 with iOS 5.0 or 5.01 no longer working

I've been using my iPhone 4 in my 2008 CTS DI AWD with the GM cable since I purchased it with no issues. Since upgrading to iOS 5.0, it's not working correctly, it will play songs for a few seconds then stop. only uplugging the iPhone and plugging it back in will allow it to play correctly; if only for a few songs... Upgrading to iOS 5.01 didn't resolve.

Am I the only one having issues?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: iPhone 4 with iOS 5.0 or 5.01 no longer working

This is getting more and more interesting...

I have gone through (over the last three weeks as time permitted) 5,800 AAC songs. I've converted all of them to MP3, properly identified them using MusicBrainz Picard, and wrote ID3v2.3 tags to all of them. This is not really a complaint, as it needed to be done anyway.

Now that I've completed this monstrous task, I'm trying to get some of my favorites onto my HDD in my 2008. Seems like this is a real primitive system... Everything has to be "just right" or it doesn't work. Problem is, no where can I find where "just right" is documented.

I've been able to copy about 300 MP3s to a 4GB USB stick and play, browse, etc. once the ID3 tag scanning is complete; awesome, but I need more space. Upon copying to the HDD, everything seems to break. Once on the HDD, all the soft buttoms to list by Artist, Albulm, etc. go to a blank screen then back to the currently playing track. Weird... I've tried many different things; sorting by folders (Artist/Album/Title.mp3) and just dumping all the songs to the root.

Has anyone been able to figure out exactly what this unit is looking for?

ID3v1?

ID3v2.3?
    UTF-16 or ISO-8859?

ID3v2.4?
    UTF-8 or UTF-16?

Total max number of Folders?

Max number of Folders within Folders?

Max Characters of Filenames?

Anything that can help at all is greatly appreciated! I'm getting SO FRUSTRATED!!!

One other thing I'd like to vent...

The requirement to purchase a NAV Update Disc to get the latest Firmware for the Unit is B.S.!!!

We paid a premium to be Cadillac Owners; at the very least I should be able to call and request a Update Disc that updates all the Firmware for all the systems in the vehicle that can be updated via Disc. Would be nice if I could download, but whatever... This can be done WITHOUT including Map Updates!!!

I've taken my vehicle to the Dealer and they can update it to a point (Using a Disc that doesn't update Maps!), but I was told the "latest/greatest" requires the NAV Update Disc purchase...

reciprocity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2009 CTS Premium (RWD w/3.6DI & FE2)

The only issue I've had with iOS 5 compatibility was after upgrading to 5.01. I plugged my iPod Touch back in and the car didn't recognize it at all. I unplugged and replugged it a few times without any success. Finally, I thought to power down my iPod and restart it, which solved the issue completely. Everything is working great with my iPod and I just tested my iPhone (running iOS 5.01) which also works fine.

I wonder if the issue you're having stems from the MP3 file conversions. Have you listened to music with headphones to make sure they play correctly without the car being involved? You might consider syncing a playlist with a few of the original files to make sure those still play correctly. That would tell you if it's a music or iPhone related issue.

Just curious: why did you need to re-encode all the AAC files? I don't really have any need to use the car's hard drive to store music since I connect my iPod, but when I tested the system just after I purchased the car, I had no trouble copying (DRM-free) iTunes Store AAC files to the system.

I *completely* agree with you regarding software updates. If nothing else, software updates should be offered free to OnStar subscribers and be delivered over the air.

Yes, playing music with headphones works fine. Only connecting to the CTS breaks it.

I converted from AAC to MP3 to eliminate the *possible incompatabilities with AAC and the CTS system.

jestrada is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS FE3 RWD Premium Luxury White Diamond Cocao/cashmere

I have the 2011 Nav disc update and the latest gracenotes update, and the Iphone 4 with IOS 5.01 works great. Google gracenotes and IOS 5.01, and you will see a number of issues.

doozmlk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 Coupe Premium

This is what I got when i plugged in my 4s with 5.0.1 update. This is why i use my ipod classic in my coupe since it works, and doesnt have daily firmware upgrades. Examine it closely and you will notice the screen is the audio/dest. screen all in one! I hope the cue infotainment system isnt as buggy as this lovely system.
    Resolution for me: dont plug 4s into car anymore, and let car sit off overnight for this screen to clear up.
    MK

photo.JPG

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

technology

It's opposite for the SRX guys. They were having problems with iOS4 and upgrading to iOS5 fixed all those problems.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.