New steering gear= Where have you been hiding babe!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, New steering gear= Where have you been hiding babe! in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I finally got a chance to schedule a service visit this past week to have to ongoing steering concerns looked ...
    ctsfan2009 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4

New steering gear= Where have you been hiding babe!

I finally got a chance to schedule a service visit this past week to have to ongoing steering concerns looked at again. To recap, I was hearing a low grumble or growl when making slow speed turns and also the steering feel would shudder and feel disconnected when making slow speed turns such as around a cul-de-sac or in a mall parking lot. Last visit when it was in, I got the "normal for AWD" response. After hearing from several AWD owners here as well as test driving an '08 AWD at Carmax(Cad dealer had no new AWDs in stock), I concurred this was not normal. So I took it in for that as well as the speed compensated volume not working(more on that later). Two days later I get the car back and they replaced the steering gear. All I can say is WOW! Funny feel and noises are gone AND the car is actually a willing dance partner now. While the car always felt stable and solid before, I was really disappointed in how it handled. I had really been kicking myself for getting AWD as the RWD 3.0 loaners I had were much more fun to drive. Now, my car has much better steering feel. I can still tell there is a bit more weight in the front end over the RWD models, but it feels much more natural now. Don't know what was wrong with the old steering gear, but that definitely fixed the concern. I found myself bending it into corners the way I did with my little Infiniti coupe tonight. Previously, I knew the car could do it but the steering just felt disconnected. Now, I just need to replace the nearly worn out Pilot HXs.

Now, on to the speed compensated volume. Last visit, the radio control module was replaced due to defective glass on the clock face. This is basically the radio controls, clock, radio display, and I believe climate control displays. I had noticed lately the speed compensated volume feature didn't seem to work. Even with it set to "high", I did not notice any change as speed increased or decreased. So per GM tech support, they replaced the actual radio. Now, I have a new concern. First, the chimes and the turn signal "clicks" are now super loud. I checked the DIC and they are not set to loud, but the buckle-up chime and turn signal are way too loud now. Also, the radio display, the climate control displays, and the amber passenger-side air bag indicator do not dim when the headlights come on. So I now have a bright amber light glowing on my dash at night. The radio display is also brighter than the DIC display where as before they were identical. AND, the new radio does not have a mid-range adjustment, just bass and treble. Here's the kicker, the speed compensated volume still does not function. Needless to say, I'll be taking it back in soon, but I am curious if anyone has ever replaced the radio on their CTS? Does it have to be programmed to the specific vehicle? I'm wondering if it is just a programming fix to correct these things or if the radio is going to have to be replaced again? I know these may be minor gripes(and believe me I am very grateful for the steering fix!), but I want my car to operate as it is intended.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Poopie D is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V **sold**, 2009 CTS4

Re: New steering gear= Where have you been hiding babe!

Where you getting the "binding" feeling in tight turns...like car was hopping or like a locked hub in four wheel drive truck?

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Ctsfan2009,
    I do apologize for your frustrations. They may be minor gripes, but it is your vehicle, and you are paying for it, you want it to operate as it should. Let us know how it goes when you get the vehicle back from the dealership, and let me know if there is anything I can do for you.
    Breanne
    Cadillac Customer Service

ctsfan2009 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4

>>>Where you getting the "binding" feeling in tight turns...like car was hopping or like a locked hub in four wheel drive truck? <<<

You know, it did feel as if something was binding in sharp, slow speed turns. It almost felt like the steering was disconnected. I'd love to have known what was wrong with the gear as it doesn't seem to do it any more. And the car has much better steering feel now.

While we are on the subject, do non-V models have variable effort steering? All of the promotional material from Cadillac just lists this on V-series models. Seems kind of odd if the CTS doesn't have that as variable assist p/s has been common on much lesser cars since the mid 90s.

kelso1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 20008 CTS

Thanks for posting your experience as I was noticing the same symptons. Brought mine in before my warranty ran out and they claimed it was tires. I mentioned the steering gear as I know on previous GM vehicles as an Impala a friend went through the same thing. He foind that that gear itself could not be lubed in anyway. Since I have now changed positions within my company I have put a couple thousand miles on the car and hit the 50k mark! I am hoping my dealer makes good on this one as my last words to the service tech were "I wanted to get this on the record before my warranty runs out in case the noise and binding gets worse"
    We will see I am going to take it back tomorrow afternoon and hopefully they can make thisright.....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.