xenon headlight question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, xenon headlight question in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I have a question for the owners of the CTS with the xenon HID headlights. When looking at the light ...
    sandcracker21 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI

xenon headlight question

I have a question for the owners of the CTS with the xenon HID headlights.

When looking at the light straight on, there is the "tube of light" on the outside, a lower round light, a middle rectangular light, then an upper rectangular light.

The lower one comes on at night, the middle one is for the "day time lights" and the upper one is the turn signal light.

QUESTION: the "middle" rectangular light on my passenger side went out the other day. Then it came back on. Then it went out again. Now it is out about 80% of the time. Am I correct to assume that the bulb is dying?? I am new to HID lights and find this odd. For now I am running my lights manual on, and not using the automatic day time lights for this reason.

QUESTION #2: Where can I get a replacement for this bulb?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BreakingThrough is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Thunder Gray '08 CTS 3.6 FE2 Premium

Re: xenon headlight question

Just to make sure you're having a malfunction: The middle DRL (daytime running light) goes out when you use your turn signals. For example, if you activate your left turn signal, your left DRL will go out while the turn signal is blinking. Once your turn signal is turned off, the DRL comes back on. Not sure why this happens; my guess is to improve visibility of the turn signal while it's blinking. But I've always thought that all that off-and-on the DRL does makes is susceptible to burning out more quickly.

Anyway, if the behavior you're seeing with the bulb in question is independent of the normal behavior associated with the turn signal, then you likely have an issue. I'll let others with more experience here guide you on how to get it taken care of.

That is correct, it is out independent of the turn signal.

bump

ctsfan2009 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4

The DRL is a just a standard bulb(as are the turn signal lamps), the xenon bulb is for headlights only. Unfortunately, the manual doesn't give instructions on replacing this other than consult the dealer. From what I have found online, you have to first remove the entire headlamp assembly and then the top "cap" on the back of the assembly is where both the turn and DRL bulbs are. The HID bulb and ballast are behind the bottom cap. One caveat, there are several warnings about high voltage produced by the HID ballast so ensure the battery is disconnected. HIDs are relatively simple, their operation is just different. In short, rather than a filament, the bulb contains gas(Xenon) and the ballast provides an arc to ignite the gas when they are turned on. This is where the high voltage comes in. After they are ignited, they draw relatively low current to keep the gas aglow. The concept is similar to a fluorescent lamp. Good luck, wish I could find more info on this myself as I'm sure someday I'll have to replace a DRL or turn signal on mine and do not want to pay the dealer to do something I learned to do as a kid!

wmillar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS DI F3 Sport Suspension

<Re: How do you remove the drivers side headlight assembly?
    My car is a 2008 CTS with HID lights. The following is what I did to get the headlight out of my car:

Now that you have the wheel well off, open the hood and take out the screws and clips which are holding the grill in place. On the side of the bumper at the top pull on it, it is just snapped in with clips and will come right out. The bumper and the grill should be loose, pull forward and you can see two bolts holding the headlight in, there is also one more bolt which you have to loosen inside the fenderwell plus one self tapping screw. The headlight should come out.>

I am adding to the above post:

The driving light bulb is an HID Bulb, ACDelco#: 10351675. Cost is between $19.00 -$25.00, it depends where you buy it. This bulb is very Hot and comes with a 12 month/or 12,000 mile warranty. I would not put an after market bulb in as you do not want to ruin or burn up your headlamp assembly, plus make sure you buy a bulb first as they are not easy to come by. The trouble with my bulb was that you could tap it and it would come on because the bulb itself was shorting out inside.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.