Heated washer fluid again
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Heated washer fluid again in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Okay, so after contacting alpha therm and being advised that they would include(at no cost) the bracket for the heater, ...
    ctsfan2009 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4

Heated washer fluid again

Okay, so after contacting alpha therm and being advised that they would include(at no cost) the bracket for the heater, I was almost ready to enter my credit card information and get the ball rolling before winter. Then I go out to the garage to look at what I had to work with one last time. I decided to untape the two connectors to ensure all was there. Well, to my surprise, the dealer actually cut the connector off the power supply cable(the two wire one) and wrapped it heavily with electrical tape. The other connector for the control wires is still intact(wrapped in tape too). It's almost like they want to ensure I don't add this this feature back. Totally not part of the GM recall procedure, just like how they took the brakcet. So, does anyone know of an online source where I can buy the connector? I have the GM part# and tried several online GM parts outlets I found, but they were no luck. Maybe this is a sign I shouldn't be doing this mod, but I really want to get the feature back and it should be an easy job had the recall been done right!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013

Re: Heated washer fluid again

ctsfan2009,

Did you 1.) download and print "WINDSHIELD WASHER SOLVENT HEATER REMOVAL" instructions and photos on pages 16-21 of the RECALL BULLETIN, 2.) give your dealer a copy, and 3.) tell your dealer that you need the original or equivalent heater module mounting bracket and power supply connector re-installed in your car, in compliance with the official GM/NHTSA recall procedure?

ranton is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

My dealer didn't cut the wires but did remove the bracket. I had the recall bulletin with me and made them order me a new bracket or I wasn't signing off that the recall had been done. They are supposed to tape the wires and then secure them to the bracket. When I told Alpha Therm this, they also sent me a new bracket at no charge.

I have not discussed this with the dealer. After my last service visit with them, in which I informed them the heated washer system was still operational, they really ticked me off. First, they claimed that according to their records, they did the recall before they put the car for sale last summer. I told the service advisor the unit was still connected and that I had tried it and it worked as described in the manual. He then asked me if the fluid was actually hot as the heater may have already been disconnected. That really ticked me off as I did not stick my hand out of the window to feel the temperature of the fluid and the recall specifically called for the unit to be removed. He then goes on to try it while the car is in the service lane in the "on" position but not started. This obviously turns the heater off and you get the corresponsing message on the DIC. When I had to tell him the car should be running for the feature to work, I really started losing confidence. Nonetheless, when I got the car back nearly a week later(had other repairs being done), I was told the unit was disconnected and removed so I assumed the recall procedure was done accordingly. It wasn't until I looked under the hood some days later that I noitced the missing bracket and taped off wires. Other than the service paperwork for all of the repairs which were done in that visit, I never signed anything pertaining to the recall and the dealer still claimed they had already done the recall(ticket read "we already did recall but customer says it still works"). For the record, I never got the $100 either. So at this point, I really don't want to involve them with this or anything on the car unless I have to. I can just imagine the conversation with them trying to explain that I need the bracket and connector they removed two months ago back. Alpha therm will give me a new bracket with the unit so now all I am looking for is a way to get the connector. For the record, if I didn't like this car so much, I'd probably already be contemplating a trade for something else because of that experience.

sfv41901 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS

Did you ever get this rsolved?

Alphatherm said they will include the bracket and high current line connector. I just ordered the unit and fuse this evening.

Yesterday afternoon, I finally got the AT-37 installed in my car and I now have heated washer fluid again! The very helpful folks at alpha therm sent me the bracket as well as the vehicle side harness for the power line. The entire job took a little over an hour, with the longest step being the splicing the power line to get the connector back. Fortunately, the connector they sent also had about 12" of wire so I had some room to work with. Mounting the bracket was a little difficult too as the nut which is closest to the firewall is a bit hard to get to. Once those steps were done(something which should have already been there had the dealer done the recall per spec), it was a 10 minute job. Unit works identical to the original one. One push gets me the "heating fluid pending wipes" message and then four sets of fluid and wipes.

Sweet. I'll have to look into getting mine back. Lucky for me I still have the bracket & harness

dean77 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Ordered the Alpha Therm unit, had it like 3 days later. Install was a piece of cake and works same as factory!

Now waiting for the new england winter to start!

thavil is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 Black Cherry Cadillac CTS4

I also ordered the Alpha Therm unit last weekend and received it within 3 or 4 days. Installed it this morning without any issues on my new to me 2008 CTS4. I was kinda bummed after I purchased the vehicle to find out that there was a recall and that it was removed. I'm taking the vehicle to the dealer on Monday for the headlamp recall, clunk in the trunk, and driver side speakers cutting out over bumps. Hopefully they won't try to do the recall again. Alpha Therm now puts a sticker on the front of the heating unit with their name and I also wrote on the unit with a sharpie "Do not remove, aftermarket unit!".

Quote Originally Posted by thavil
    I also ordered the Alpha Therm unit last weekend and received it within 3 or 4 days. Installed it this morning without any issues on my new to me 2008 CTS4. I was kinda bummed after I purchased the vehicle to find out that there was a recall and that it was removed. I'm taking the vehicle to the dealer on Monday for the headlamp recall, clunk in the trunk, and driver side speakers cutting out over bumps. Hopefully they won't try to do the recall again. Alpha Therm now puts a sticker on the front of the heating unit with their name and I also wrote on the unit with a sharpie "Do not remove, aftermarket unit!".
    If the recall was already done at the dealer, then u should be good as it will track the recalls done per vin.

Wag-O-Neer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-4 Wagon Premium 3.6 w/FE2

I'm assuming this option was no longer offered on models after the recall? The reason I ask is, my new to me 2010 wagon, doesn't have that button on the center stack.

If I want to add the alpha unit, I probably don't need the specific GM unit?

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013

Wag-O-Neer,

You are correct. You would need the AlphaTherm AT-380D. Unlike GM OEM and AT-37GM replacement unit, it's always ON and heating washer fluid whenever the vehicle's ignition is ON.

>>>I'm assuming this option was no longer offered on models after the recall? The reason I ask is, my new to me 2010 wagon, doesn't have that button on the center stack.<<<

From what I've read, the option was dropped early in the 2009 MY due to the supplier going out of business as later '09 models didn't offer it. The recall wasn't until June 2010. We are actually supposed to get the coldest weather of the season the next few days, I'm almost tempted to leave the car parked outside so it will be covered in frost and I can try the feature out some morning!

Wag-O-Neer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-4 Wagon Premium 3.6 w/FE2

Quote Originally Posted by ctsfan2009 View Post
    >>>I'm assuming this option was no longer offered on models after the recall? The reason I ask is, my new to me 2010 wagon, doesn't have that button on the center stack.<<<

From what I've read, the option was dropped early in the 2009 MY due to the supplier going out of business as later '09 models didn't offer it. The recall wasn't until June 2010. We are actually supposed to get the coldest weather of the season the next few days, I'm almost tempted to leave the car parked outside so it will be covered in frost and I can try the feature out some morning!
    Do it! And video, please.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.