Random No Sound from Radio/Turn Signals
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Random No Sound from Radio/Turn Signals in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; New to the forum and to Cadillac. Just got a 2008 CTS 3.6Di with both the Performance and Luxury Packages. ...
    stl09 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6di & 1964 Cadillac

Random No Sound from Radio/Turn Signals

New to the forum and to Cadillac. Just got a 2008 CTS 3.6Di with both the Performance and Luxury Packages.
    On several occasions the radio has not worked when it was working just fine an hour before. Have also noticed that the turn signals have no noise. Have had at the dealer twice now luckily once they got to see what it was not was or was not doing. They are telling me it has to do with bluetooth and a blackberry being paired and gave me some multi-page tech bullentin that does not apply. I tried to tell them that while I do own a blackberry it has not been paired with the car at any time only my iphone. It appears the previous owner or lease had a motorola bluetooth device added not sure if this has any bearing on the issue?
    Does anyone have any idea what might be going on so I can get the dealership on the right track to fix?
    Each time it has happened the radio works again just fine after several hours or the next morning. It's not doing it every day and at no set pattern just very random which makes all the more odd.
    Thank you in advance....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Re: Random No Sound from Radio/Turn Signals

Check your build date. If it was built before May 2008, then it's definitely not factory installed bluetooth.

Loveldos is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillacs: '13 CTS Cpe, '01 SLS, '71 Eldo Conv

My '08 CTS-4 was built in November 2007, and it has done this a handful of times through almost 48 months of ownership. My Service Writer at the dealership found nothing wrong, but said that it is similar to re-booting a computer, and to stop the car, re-start it, and the problem should not persist. As I said, it happened maybe twice when I mentioned it during a routine service visit, and then the next time it occurred, I did as he said, and everything went back to normal. It was strange, because the turn signals quit "clicking" as part of the irregularities. My car has "self-corrected" since it has not occurred in the last two years, or so. I don't know what triggered it when I had a similar situation to yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Loveldos View Post
    My '08 CTS-4 was built in November 2007, and it has done this a handful of times through almost 48 months of ownership. My Service Writer at the dealership found nothing wrong, but said that it is similar to re-booting a computer, and to stop the car, re-start it, and the problem should not persist. As I said, it happened maybe twice when I mentioned it during a routine service visit, and then the next time it occurred, I did as he said, and everything went back to normal. It was strange, because the turn signals quit "clicking" as part of the irregularities. My car has "self-corrected" since it has not occurred in the last two years, or so. I don't know what triggered it when I had a similar situation to yours.
    I've done what your dealer told you to do already with no difference. The last time this happened it was at the end of a work day the car had been sitting for more than 8 hours...the radio was just fine that morning. Knowing the dealership was still opened I drove by and got a service writer to come out to see the issue. He verified it by starting and turning the car off several times with the same condition. We went inside to write it up and schedule it. I come back out about 15 minutes later start the car and the radio is working again...it makes no sense. I've only owned the car for 30 days and it has done this 5 times now...clearly something is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    Check your build date. If it was built before May 2008, then it's definitely not factory installed bluetooth.
    Thanks...I'm about 99% sure this is not a factory install. A book was included and it seems to work ok with the car via verbal commands. I'm thinking the original selling dealer might of installed it.

dsteinmann is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Lux - 2008 CTS DI Luxury Performance II <-4 Sale

What version is your radio at. Probably needs the software upgraded

Loveldos is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillacs: '13 CTS Cpe, '01 SLS, '71 Eldo Conv

Quote Originally Posted by dsteinmann View Post
    Good advice. I recall my Service Writer telling me on at least three occasions that they upgraded the software, or my Navigation unit, during routine service visits. The dealership also informed me of Technical Service Bulletins on a few occasions, too. You should check whether these updates have been performed for your vehicle.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Stl09,
    Welcome to the forum! If you would like to PM me your VIN number I can send you your vehicle build.
    Breanne
    Cadillac Customer Service

Cadillac Tony is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

November 2007 build means it absolutely does not have factory Bluetooth. The problem is either your radio needs to be updated (there have been bulletins for intermittent no sound) or the aftermarket BT device is interfering with the radio.

Have your dealer check both those items, starting with the software update.
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

fwiw, you said you had a motorola bluetooth kit? I have used those, and found them to be problematic. The one I had was constantly dropping the bluetooth connection. Parrot kits are much better. If you can/are willing to replace the motorola with parrot, you will be much better off. Or you can try the bluestar unit, which basically you unplug the onstar box, and plug in the bluestar. So you will lose all onstar functionality. And I have heard the bluestar is not completely reliable also.

dsteinmann is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Lux - 2008 CTS DI Luxury Performance II <-4 Sale

Stl09 are you from St Louis, and if so im in wentzville so if you dealer wants to charge you for the updates I can help you out

reciprocity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2009 CTS Premium (RWD w/3.6DI & FE2)

STL09: I've had exactly the same thing happen in my car (2009 w/Bluetooth). This sounds like the known issue with the 2008-09 CTS (that's also unrelated to Bluetooth). There's a radio software upgrade that is supposed to fix this specific problem and I believe there's a related Tech Service Bulletin.

Turning the car off, opening the door, and letting the electronics *completely* shut down should "fix" this issue when it randomly happens. If you don't let the car completely shut down (i.e. just turning it off and turning it back on again), the problem continues. By leaving the car and coming back a few minutes later, yours had a chance to completely itself shut off and reset itself.

FYI, I lost all the radio presets in my car when they upgraded my software, so you might want to take pictures of your presets if you have a lot to lose. It's MUCH better (it went from once a month to maybe once every six months). However, I do still have the issue happen occasionally since the reprogramming.

My theory (although I have no proof) is that it's caused by changing sources or XM stations immediately before opening the door and canceling the retained accessory power. This is the only thing I can think of that I could have done consistently prior to my system having this problem.

As I've posted previously, this inevitably happened to me when I was carrying passengers. "Hold on, let me pull over and restart my car so the stereo works correctly," just isn't the best way to show off GM quality. I have every hope that the new CUE system (running Linux instead of Windows) will be more reliably and full-featured, similar to the flexibility of the features offered in the first-generation CTS.

jghiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Sedan Lux Silver Coast

As for no turn signals and loss of radio - intermittent - there's an ancient TSB on this that I had put on to fix the problem a couple of years ago. Will check it and update this thread. Its for the 08 CTS.

jghiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Sedan Lux Silver Coast

Here you go:

Bulletin No.: 08-08-44-031A
    Date: March 24, 2009

Subject:
    No Audio from Radio, Door Ajar Chime and Turn Signal Click Clack Inoperative During a Key Cycle - Audio Returns After Vehicle is Turned Off For Several Minutes (Reprogram Audio Amplifier)
    This TSB should fix your turn signal/audio issues. Worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by dsteinmann View Post
    Hope I'm providing the right information.

App Vers = 1.04.0000
    Database = 8.63.12.022807.19

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.