Carbon fiber "look" wrap on dash and console
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Carbon fiber "look" wrap on dash and console in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I have never liked the brushed "aluminum" look of the trim in our cars. I wanted a carbon fiber look ...
    wesiii is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS Performance

Carbon fiber "look" wrap on dash and console

I have never liked the brushed "aluminum" look of the trim in our cars. I wanted a carbon fiber look and started searching dash kits. After some research and receiving samples, I realised that a dash kit was not going to make me happy either. I then came upon a vinyl material, by 3M, called Di-Noc. This stuff is textured and has the look of "dry carbon fiber". It is sticky backed and when heated, can be stretched around compound curves. Customizers have recently been using this stuff to wrap parts and even the exterior of cars.

Here's a link: This guy does some awesome stuff.
    http://www.mazdasnw.com/showthread.p...nterior-pieces

It looked really cool, so I decided I would try it myself. Bought a 2' x 4' roll from ebay at a cost of about $60. Took a little time and a lot of patience, but WOW, this is the look I wanted! IMHO, this is what it should have looked like from the factory. You cannot tell that the part is wrapped with vinyl. It really looks and feels like the part is actually molded with this texture. Going to continue with the console, steering wheel and maybe the door trim. What do you think?
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

08 CTS4 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 AWD

Re: Carbon fiber "look" wrap on dash and console

I was just talking to my girlfriend the other day, wishing they would have added a carbon option to the interior. From what I see, yours came out great, but im sure it took quite a bit of patience.
    How about some pictures after the console has been re-installed ?

MotownPimp is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS Coupe Performance Stick

Be on the look out. The Good Taste Police should be showing up any time now to repocess your Caddy. It is a clear violation of the provision in your purchase agreement not to add anything to the car that has goo on the back.

If you want carbon fiber, have a custom shop craft you the pieces out of real carbin fiber.

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

Kevin @ ocarbon.com does real C-F overlay on stock pieces. Can have shiny or satin finish.
    That being said, you did a good job with that center piece!

HansK is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS4 Blue Chip

I would like to see how that looks installed, I can see that carbon fiber looking good w/ black interior

Quote Originally Posted by MotownPimp View Post
    Be on the look out. The Good Taste Police should be showing up any time now to repocess your Caddy. It is a clear violation of the provision in your purchase agreement not to add anything to the car that has goo on the back.

If you want carbon fiber, have a custom shop craft you the pieces out of real carbin fiber.
    A "Pimp" is trying to school someone on taste......really? I'll post more pictures as I complete this project.

Finished the console and the steering wheel. I really like the way it looks and I'm very happy with the way it turned out. May look at doing the silver slashes on the doors next. Sorry about the quality of the photos; gave my camera to the GF (now ex) so I'm using my phone.

Also, while I had the shifter plate out I performed this mod and it looks great! Thanks to exm22psu!

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...t-night-3.html
    Attached Images

streetfast is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 cts coupe

Very nice!

medicCTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Love the look! Great job. In total... How much wrap did it take to do this? Might be my next weekend project

GT!
    GT! is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Silver 2010 Sedan 3.6 AWD

Looks like you did a great job with the installation, but I'm sorry to say I prefer the stock look.

-GT

jeffc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by GT!
    Looks like you did a great job with the installation, but I'm sorry to say I prefer the stock look.

-GT
    I loved the look of what he did a lot and slept on the idea of possibly doing something similar. Went to work and while sitting in traffic, I couldn't believe that I liked the OEM better as well. I popped on the forum once more to look at the pics and still felt the same way about the stock look. It's all preference...,

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    Quote Originally Posted by wesiii View Post
    Finished the console and the steering wheel. I really like the way it looks and I'm very happy with the way it turned out. May look at doing the silver slashes on the doors next. Sorry about the quality of the photos; gave my camera to the GF (now ex) so I'm using my phone.

Also, while I had the shifter plate out I performed this mod and it looks great! Thanks to exm22psu!

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...t-night-3.html
    How hard was it to do the steering wheel? Does the bottom piece just pop off or do you need to pull the air bag?

Quote Originally Posted by medicCTS View Post
    Love the look! Great job. In total... How much wrap did it take to do this? Might be my next weekend project
    I bought a 2' X 4' sheet from eBay and I still have some left. Search for 3M Dinoc, it comes in different colors also.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp View Post
    How hard was it to do the steering wheel? Does the bottom piece just pop off or do you need to pull the air bag?
    Had to pull the airbag to get to the retaining screws, after that it was really easy.

Dano636 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe RWD Black
    I love it... Except for the wood next to it but good job on the wrap.

Nyuni is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS: DI, AWD, FE2, PDQ Black Raven

That looks great. Can't say I'm digging it with the wood trim, but that stuff would be -fantastic- as a replacement for the terrible looking faux-carbon fiber trim if somebody doesn't have a wood package. I still can't believe how crappy that plastic faux carbon fiber from the factory looks. It's even worse seeing that on a CTS-V.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.