Need some help finding a problem... amp/sub blown?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Need some help finding a problem... amp/sub blown? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; So, I added an aftermarket Subwoofer and Amplifier to the Bose Amp in my 2011 CTS Sedan. Everything was perfect. ...
    bphillips is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade 2008, Cadillac CTS 2011 Premium

Need some help finding a problem... amp/sub blown?

So, I added an aftermarket Subwoofer and Amplifier to the Bose Amp in my 2011 CTS Sedan. Everything was perfect. Today, I decided to swap the aftermarket amp for another one that I had that came with the subs, and what I did not notice was the the Negative and Positive were very lightly labeled on the amp and opposite than the other amp. I assumed (foolishly) that Positive was on the left and Ground was on the right (like the other amp), so I connected as so. I reconnected the battery, and upon starting the car, there was no sound from the stock Bose amp and the Parking Assist was turned off. I checked all the wiring, and realized where the problem was, but seeing as the previous amp worked, I put everything back the way it was before, reconnected the battery, closed it all up, and started the car. Same problem!

I tried putting a new fuse in the "Audio System/Subwoofer" fuse location with no dice :-/

What should I do!?

Any/All help is VERY appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Need some help finding a problem... amp/sub blown?

really? no one?

tonyfort is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Former owner 2008 CTS

No promises that I can help, but I think I'd need more detail on how you have it connected up to everything to even try. Do you have a dedicated line running from the battery for the aftermarket amp? Are you using line-level inputs on the aftermarket amp or low-level RCA?

chagrin falls is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 srx perf, 2010 cts4 prem

Sorry I can't help your amp problem but I'm curious that you have a CTS Platinum. I didn't realize Cadillac offered the Platinum Package on the 2011 CTS. Would appreciate how you ordered same. Thanks!

So, here's an update.

It seems that accidentally reversing the polarity did a lot less than I thought. All it simply did was blow the one fuse I read over in the manual.

In the manual, I saw the "Audio Speakers/Subwoofer" fuse as 15A and replaced it with no avail. I pretty much stopped there with the fuses. Well, after checking everything, seeing as the problem was no power to the amp itself, I decided to re-read the manual and saw that I had (VERY STUPIDLY) skipped over the fuse labeled AMPLIFIER. (D'OH!)

So, replacing that, everything was perfect. It seems as if the Amplifier and the Park Assist are the same fuse? They both went out, then were both fixed with a simple fuse replacement.

Agh, my own stupidity!

Also, in response to Tony: I simply spliced into all the wires going in/out of the Amplifier. I connected all the necessary wires to a Re-Q5. I spliced into the + and - Subwoofer connection for the signal, then + and - 12v current, then + and - front-left tweeter (for signal detection). This allowed the Re-Q5 to have an always-on power supply, but only turn on when a signal was being sent from the Bose Amp to the front-left speaker. Then, when it was on, it sent a remote signal to the aftermarket amplifier, allowing it to turn on. The Re-Q5 also supplied to Equalized RCA Subwoofer Signal. The Aftermarket amp + and - 12v was connected in parallel with the Re-Q5 + and - 12v going into the Bose Amp.

In response to Chagrin Falls (Ohio?): My mother, who bought the car, told me it was a 2011 CTS Platinum, but it appears that it is not. OnStar said it was, but a VIN lookup states that it's just a premium. Ah, I shouldn't have looked it up and just kept the feeling of "yeah, it's a platinum. be jealous." Haha!

tonyfort is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Former owner 2008 CTS

glad you got it figured out!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.