Coupe VS Sedan
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Coupe VS Sedan in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I need input on which new CTS to buy. I have always owned sportier cars to include an Allanti and ...
    71MonteCarlo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Coupe VS Sedan

I need input on which new CTS to buy. I have always owned sportier cars to include an Allanti and a STS. I am 69 years old and currently drive a Monte Carlo SS that I will keep for my grandson. i have several collector cars also. I drove a coupe yesterday and was surprised by the lack of vision and stiff seats. I have not yet driven a sedan. I decided against a preowned V due mainly to fuel prices. I really like the looks of the Coupe but not sure I will be satisfied with it. Another consideration, if I have passengers my age, is them entering and exiting the back seat.
    Any input would be appreciated. Thanks, David

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

louiefl99 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe

Re: Coupe VS Sedan

I had a '05 CTS, a '08 CTS, and now an '11 CTS Coupe. Comfortable seats were never the CTS line's strong points, I don't think the sedan's are any better. Concerning the back seat, it is a bit of a pain to acccess since you need to slide the seat forward (rather slow - wish there was an express button) and then climb over or under (not sure which works better) the seat belt. My two kids 10 &15 that whine climbing back there, the youngest one is the worst. Lack of vision you get used to after a while, but found myself heavily depending on the back up camera instead of using mirrors and looking over my shoulder. On the positive side, my 15-year old loves when I pick him up / drop him off at school or related activites as his friends absolutley love the car. I got the coupe this time around just to do something different for a change, but next car I am going back to 4 doors - I occassionally drive 4 adults, and it is a bit cramped. Make sure you test drive both for an extended period to make sure you are happy.

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

I have had an '09 sedan and now an '11 coupe. I do not carry backseat passengers, but if I did I would go with the sedan as stated above. It is inconvenient for rear passenger getting in/out. Sometimes I miss the ease of putting groceries in the back seat with the coupe, but the looks make up for it. Seats are the same in both cars. Haven't treied the optional Recaros though.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Buy the Coupe V. If you can afford it, the fuel wont be a huge issue. Drive it a little sparingly at first, thatll keep fuel bills down. When you have people who cant squeeze into the car, take the Monte Carlo. Im sure your grandson will loan it to you, if he gets the V in return.

MotownPimp is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS Coupe Performance Stick

Monte, I'm exactly your age & bought the Coupe for two primary reasons:

- Fell in love with the looks; it basically replaces a 350Z
    - We have a SUV when we need more than two seats.

I look at the Coupe as a 2 person car. The back seat is funtionally useless in my opinion. If you really need a back seat, go for the sedan. Anyone over 2'6" and 10 years old is going to have a hell-of-a-time getting in/out. Further, leg room in back is very limited. The Coupe backseat is for excess luggage when we go on car trips.

Yes, the seats are a bit hard but I solved that issue with a $37 car cushion.
    Yes, vision is somewhat impared by design. But I had lots of practice with the Z which also was "vision challenged". LOL!

TrimThis is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 TG CTS Coupe

I consider this car a 2 seater. In the looks dept. it is the best bang for the buck. Car does have blind spots and you need to pay close attention changing lanes, backing up etc. Seats are a little hard, but not that bad. Never have driven for more than a hour at a time so far, so a long trip is ???. If you need to put people in the back make them suffer or buy the sedan.

71MonteCarlo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Thanks guys, excellent feedback.

12 CTS Touring is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS 6DH35 AWD 1SH Touring

If you want beauty, the Coupe wins.

If you want practicality, go with the Wagon.

If you want anything else, go with the Sedan, or go in peace.

greyghost04 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '14 CTS 2.0 Luxury AWD, '12 SRX 3.6 AWD

No one will ever stop you while driving the sedan (I had 2) to tell you that is the hottest car they have ever seen. In my coupe it happens all the time.

MotownPimp is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS Coupe Performance Stick

By the way, I've seen posts on here stating backseat leg room in the Sedan is not much better than the Coupe. I have no idea if such is the case. If you go test drive the sedan, check out leg room.

Leg room in the front seat of the Coupe is the best I've ever had. I'm 6'2" with long legs. I can get the drivers seat back far enough where I can stretch my legs completely straight; a plus when driving long distances. It allows more positions. These old bones need to move around!

Loveldos is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillacs: '13 CTS Cpe, '01 SLS, '71 Eldo Conv

Coupes traditionally have greater re-sale value than their Sedan counterparts--something to consider at trade-in time! The CTS Coupe has sold around 16,000 vehicles so far, many more than Cadillac had predicted at this time, and it dominates the competitive luxury Coupe segment (A5, E-Class and Bimmer 3-Series) in sales ("way to go, Cadillac!"). On top of all that, a CTS Coupe looks better than anything else on the road! Of course, if you want practicality, forego the foregoing (small concessions to look great) and get the Sedan!

noel48 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe

I've taken several 5-6 hour trips in my coupe and the seats didn't bother me.A friend who's a disabled Iraq vet(IED messed up his back)went with me to a Ranger's game,a 3 hour trip,and felt comfortable.

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

The Coupe certainly looks great and that's the main reason of course why some folks choose that bodystyle over the Sedan.
    My wife and I only have the one vehicle, our '11 CTS4 Sedan. I/we happen to prefer the look of the Sedan, and prefer its better outward visibility, usable back seat and overall practicality. We're often going into the back seat area of our car to remove or place items on the floor or seat. This activity would be a bit of a pain for us if we had a Coupe.. or pretty much any 2-door vehicle for that matter.
    As far as the look of our '11 CTS4 FE5 is concerned, we always get a lot of attention from passersby in and around town. It's a sharp car and it's a Cadillac, so people look (people of all ages). It helps too that our CTS is usually clean and detailed.

As info.. I checked out trade-in values on CanadianBlackBook.com today and discovered that the highest trade-in price for a 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sedan (with 4,000 KMs on the odometer) exceeds by $2,400 the highest trade-in price for a 2011 CTS Premium AWD Coupe with the same mileage. I'm not familiar with Coupe new-car pricing, but this trade-in price disparity <at least here in Canada> suggests a greater level of depreciation may be occurring on the Coupe compared to the Sedan. Results at the site may be skewed by a low number (or total absence) of trade-in's (in Canada) where the '11 CTS Coupe is concerned.
    I was pleased to learn today that the current trade-in value (in Canada) of my 'used' '11 CTS4 Premium (with 4,000 KMs currently on the odo) is higher than the price I paid for the vehicle.

MKWAGON is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 AWD Sportwagon, Diamond white, 3.6 DI

I really think they all look pretty sharp, sedan, coupe and wagon, in their own right. They all turn heads, especially "clean and detailed". But, I'd think that if rear seat passengers are going to be a regular ocassion, the coupe wouldn't be the best choice, especially when your not losing any of the other great traits of the car going to the sedan. And in the sedan your passengers can get more than a mere glimpse of the scenery if they're so inclined. Never sat in the back of mine yet, but my 5'-10" son says it's as comfortable as the 2nd row of my brother's Acadia, which I find to be a very comfortable spot to ride in. Only, the Acadia is a little easier to get in and out of than the caddy. He's spent long rides in both.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.