2008 CTS DI Steering Noise or Whine....
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2008 CTS DI Steering Noise or Whine.... in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I have searched aroudn the various forums looking for anything similar to what I am hearing or feeling with not ...
    kelso1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 20008 CTS

2008 CTS DI Steering Noise or Whine....

I have searched aroudn the various forums looking for anything similar to what I am hearing or feeling with not so much luck. At low speeds 5-20mph when turning the wheel at times I will hear a rubbing or whining or almost a moan sound during turning. It is certainly not as bad as I have heard from other vehicles in which a power steering pump was on its way out but I can hear it and feel a little very little resistence in the wheel turn. I added a little power steering fluid last night just to top things off and see if the noise returns.

I guess my personal feelings with driving many different makes and models over the years, is that I have almost never had to add power steering fluid to a vehicle that is not so old. I have a call into the dealer as I have about 3 months left on my warranty and 1500 miles.

I am going to check the levels again this evening and dig into it more to see if by chance there is a leak

Any thoughts?

Scot

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

reciprocity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2009 CTS Premium (RWD w/3.6DI & FE2)

Re: 2008 CTS DI Steering Noise or Whine....

I had exactly the same thing happen intermittently at very low speeds when turning into a parking spot, a driveway, etc. It was a muffled groan/moan/grring kind of sound. To me, it sounded like it was coming from the steering column inside the car. Even with the windows down, I never heard a sound from the outside.

My service manager happened to be riding in the car to verify a previous concern had been fixed correctly (on the fifth trip to the dealership) when it made the sound. Fortunately, he heard it and the mechanic was able to reproduce the issue.

They ended up replacing my entire steering rack (!!) and I haven't heard the sound since. Apparently, the sound was being transmitted up the steering column into the car. They didn't say if there was a TSB related to this or if they diagnosed the issue on their own.

Definitely have this checked before your car goes out of warranty. I don't know what the long-term ramifications are (other than an annoying groaning when you turn), but it's definitely something they should fix. At the rate things are being replaced, I'm going to have a brand new 2009 CTS by the time my warranty runs out!

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Reciprocity,
    It is good that the dealer is taking care of you and getting these issues fixed. It is even better that you are still within warranty. Keep us updated and let us know if the sound comes back.
    Breanne
    Cadillac Customer Service

Kelso1,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Let us know what you find out about the levels and let us know what the dealer says.
    Breanne
    Cadillac Customer Service

kelso1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 20008 CTS

So here is a question...... Dropped of the 08 CTS and jumped in a 2011 or 2012 CTS loaner. Does anyone have an opinion on the steering being much softer on a new versus the 08 sedan?????? I mentioned the steering noise and coming from a BMW 550i I am used to some tigher steering more like my 08. Either there is a power steering problem or the newer loaner CTS has much softer steering and feel,

I am not sure the a 19" rim (2011) versus mine 2008 18' would make that much difference either

A\has anyone driven them both?

ctsfan2009 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4

I had a '10 as a loaner and the steering felt about the same as my '09.

loosend is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DI RWD w/ Prem & Perf Pkgs Blk/Blk FE2

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    I had exactly the same thing happen intermittently at very low speeds when turning into a parking spot, a driveway, etc. It was a muffled groan/moan/grring kind of sound. To me, it sounded like it was coming from the steering column inside the car. Even with the windows down, I never heard a sound from the outside.

My service manager happened to be riding in the car to verify a previous concern had been fixed correctly (on the fifth trip to the dealership) when it made the sound. Fortunately, he heard it and the mechanic was able to reproduce the issue.

They ended up replacing my entire steering rack (!!) and I haven't heard the sound since. Apparently, the sound was being transmitted up the steering column into the car. They didn't say if there was a TSB related to this or if they diagnosed the issue on their own.

Definitely have this checked before your car goes out of warranty. I don't know what the long-term ramifications are (other than an annoying groaning when you turn), but it's definitely something they should fix. At the rate things are being replaced, I'm going to have a brand new 2009 CTS by the time my warranty runs out!
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but my dealer has my car for other problems and this specific steering noise but told me today there is a TSB, which he will supply, that advises them not to take any action. He said GM acknowledges the noise and it is considered normal which is a bummer.

mahands24 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac - CTS (2003)

loosend, did you ever get the TSB for the noise? I am hearing the noise on my '12

Quote Originally Posted by mahands24 View Post
    loosend, did you ever get the TSB for the noise? I am hearing the noise on my '12
    Hello mahands24,

Iím sorry to hear that you are experiencing a steering whine on your 2012 CTS. Have you by chance been able to visit your local dealership in order to diagnose this issue? I would be happy to assist you by looking into this further. If this is something that you would like to do, donít hesitate to send me a private message with your name, contact info, VIN, mileage and preferred dealership.

Regards,

Shane M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

loosend is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DI RWD w/ Prem & Perf Pkgs Blk/Blk FE2

No, they did not print the TSB but it is supposed to be a belt slippage. Mine still does it but it never got any worse.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.