Hi, I'm an engineer, tell me about your sunroof - Page 8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Hi, I'm an engineer, tell me about your sunroof in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Thanks WillK, you are very helpful....
    waynej is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS DI

Re: Hi, I'm an engineer, tell me about your sunroof

Thanks WillK, you are very helpful.

cadillacmike68 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brg, 09 STS N* Platinum, 11 CTS Premium

Wow, that's a lot of reading.

First (i can't resist), sunroofs are for those who wish they could get a convertible. I can say that having and having had several convertibles including 3 Cadillac Convertibles.

But man did that Eldorado leak whenever it rained

We got my wife;s 2008 CTS4 premium about 1 yr ago. It was reasonably quiet then but about 6 months ago i noticed it was real loud even with it closed. Oh yeah, if you tilt it up, it a real PITA to get it closed properly - basically have to start the slide open procedure, stop that, and then close it by pushing the up button. Cumbersome but it's the only way to ensure the sunroof is closed all the way.

Other We finally got around to getting it to the dealer. I went with the shop foreman and demonstrated the issue to him (pushing up on the center seal / gutter / whatever quieted it down). He looked up some bulletined and ordered a "gutter", pn 25962187 and when it came in we dropped the car off. They called the procedure "sunroof window seal replacement"

This was on 6 Feb. It is quieter now. I'm taking my wife to work this morning and I'll see if it's held up.

The shade is NOT opaque enough to be effective. She complains about that all the time.

It was still pretty quiet today (much better than before). If fact if i pushed up gently on the middle seal, it got louder!

My STS is still MUCH Quieter, even at 125mph

waynej is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS DI

FYI UPDATE: Have finished installing new rear drain hoses, center gutter/seals and new seal on movable roof panel.

To install the drain hoses I purchased from Lowes a length of 1/4" plastic tubing and pushed it through the rear drain (this stuff is ideal to use for cleaning clogged drains) then pulled the old drain out from the top. Then I pushed the new drain tube down from the top over the plastic tubing. Easy, new drain tubes installed.

Next I installed the center gutter per WillK's instructions. About a ten minute job.

Then I tackled the movable roof panel seal. It was easier than I expected, took about an hour total from start to finish. This was done without removing the panel, just removed the old seal by pulling it out of the groove then start installing the new seal at the corners with the roof panel in the vent position. Install the seal as far as possible all the way down to where the seal and roof meet, then lower and slide the panel back to finish installing the seal.

I have yet to check for leaks, I certainly hope the gutter-to-end piece bond is not leaking.

Question: Does anyone have/share the procedure for replacing the stationary roof panel seal?

Super 8 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS-4

Just went through another dealer, now it's even noisier than before. I have an extended warranty for another year on my 08 CTS AWD, is there an actual TSB for wind noise. A cell phone conversation is almost impossible.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Super 8 View Post
    Just went through another dealer, now it's even noisier than before. I have an extended warranty for another year on my 08 CTS AWD, is there an actual TSB for wind noise. A cell phone conversation is almost impossible.
    Hello Super 8,

I was able to read previous posts of the last couple years. I apologize your vehicle issue is not fixed. If you would like to discuss your concerns, please private message me. Include your contact information, VIN, current mileage and the name and location of the dealership you worked with.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

tinman is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Super 8 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS-4

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Hello Super 8,

I was able to read previous posts of the last couple years. I apologize your vehicle issue is not fixed. If you would like to discuss your concerns, please private message me. Include your contact information, VIN, current mileage and the name and location of the dealership you worked with.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service
    I am currently trying another dealer that has been very informative who just ordered some more parts.
    Thanks for your concern, I will see how this turns out. Les....

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Super 8 View Post
    I am currently trying another dealer that has been very informative who just ordered some more parts.
    Thanks for your concern, I will see how this turns out. Les....
    Hello Super 8,

Thanks for responding and keeping us updated. Please let us know how the interaction with this new dealership turns out.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

FastCadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS Sport Sedan

Hi Will, Thanks for the info here. I just purchased a very nice 2009 CTS 3.2.14. It does have lots of wind noise at about 30 mph and above of course . In fact, it had wind noise at zero mph but due to wind gusts here in WYO. The dealer says there is a factory incentive and they pay 75% to replace gaskets and glass. When inspected it had small cracks around the edges. Looks like just dried up gaskets and glass to me. This is the first used car I have purchased in 14 years. Quite a few great GM products though since then.
    An awesome car though. I took it on a secret Wyoming Hockenheimring 120 mile course south of Rock Springs WY for a test. This older car is just awesome!! I think it might beat my '08 Corvette! OK maybe not enough grunt!!
    I can live with the wind noise though. This car is a keeper. Eddie

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

FastCadillac,

Hate to burst your bubble, but "Will" has not been around on this thread for about 2 years. Welcome, but pay attention to dates of postings!

Douglas Rome is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-4 3.0 Base sedan black/black

-- I've had one on every car I've owned for the last 30 years -- sun roofs are silly!

So here's how I'd fix the problem: offer sun roofs as a separate option only. I'll bet 95% of buyers would opt not to have them.[/QUOTE]

correct me if I'm wrong, I believe sunroofs are a line item and CTS can and are built without.
    It's referred to as sunroof delete. thanks, douglas

----------

I didn't realize how old this thread was either until I got to the last
    page. I wonder whatever happened to Will the engineer? You think
    he's still working for GM? thanks, douglas

arw1510 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD

so has anyone really found the right kid of fix for the center channel issue? even if i take a business card to check the gap, on the sides its tight, but in the middle it slides right in. this is mainly the front seal, the back is fine. 2012 cts, no warranty so I dont know if I should go and replace or try a retro fix.

rbcoats is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 cts

I have a 08 CTS Performance with the same sunroof air noise. I have had two dealers look up any service bulletins and they said that they could not find any. Thanks for the part number on the gutter, I think I will try to fix it myself.

milocoman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS AWD DI

Man for once I do not have a trouble car here. Good info for sure. My 08 CTS has no air or water leaks from the sunroof. Maybe the engineers should look at mine to see if it is different?

J Bubba is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX Sport, 2008 CTS

I'm good too on my 08. Have had some real downpours lately, and I park on a hill in my driveway and flat at work. No leaks. No wind noise either. Although I wish the tilt function would work better.
    1) it doesn't tilt open enough
    2) it's a pain to close the tilt. Every time I closet tilt it goes past the close point and starts to open the sunroof. So then I have to back it up to close it again. I like my 03 how you turn the dial to tilt open and then just put it to close position. Always worked flawlessly. The new one button for tilt / open / close is rather annoying.
    Other than that, I too am one of those who would prefer to just not have the sunroof. Especially the panoramic roofs. They always make noise and creak.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.