Hi, I'm an engineer, tell me about your sunroof - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Hi, I'm an engineer, tell me about your sunroof in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by blackonblackNYC my sunroof started creaking about a month ago when I would go over bumps, noise was ...
    Bandit1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS 3.6DI

Re: Hi, I'm an engineer, tell me about your sunroof

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblackNYC View Post
    my sunroof started creaking about a month ago when I would go over bumps, noise was coming from the rear. No leaks or windnoise, took it to Pepe Cadillac in Yonkers, NY...they replaced the seals and drainage liner (I think)...ALL IS GOOD! No more creaking...awesome. They left my car dirty but the job was well done. If someone is interested I can photocopy the WO so you all can see exactly what was done.
    I would be very interested in a copy when you get the chance. Thanks

TeamZambo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 CTS FE2, Pearl 2010 ESV Plat

Quote Originally Posted by WillK View Post
    The Bravo Cadillac dealer in El Paso seems to have more experience with CTS Sunroof repairs than the Bravo Cadillac in New Mexico, so they should be a good alternative. As far as a warranty on the repair, I would suggest sending a PM to Cadillac Customer Service on here - I don't know those policies well enough to comment.

As a customer, I know what you're talking about as far as a goodwill repair, and my experience was with Ford and it was explained to me that it's something they can do to cover an out-of-warranty repair and they'll only do it once in your lifetime. That was Ford, so for all I know GM could be different, and either way I don't know whether or how the repair warranty applies.
    I know IT WILL be covered under the warranty, I was wondering if this sister dealer will repair the damage the other dealer made. I am goin in this Wed, hopefully they care of.

Poopie D is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V **sold**, 2009 CTS4

Thanks for coming on the site and trying to help. I fixed my sunroof creak by removing the trim piece all around it and applying friction tape. No wind noise on my 09.

But...if you can tell your co-workers at GM to come on the site regarding all the other squeaks and creaks, I would be happy. My door panles, dash, seats and console squeak like crazy. My car hesitates and shifts too early unless I reset the throttle position sensor and TPS module...and that only lasts for a few days. The awd system binds on tight slow turns and chirps the tires. This car is the biggest piece of junk I have ever owned and I can't afford to replace it. I spent a fortune on it, hate driving it...and nobody cares.

Brian M is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

I just posted this on a similar thread about sun roof wind noise.

I just returned from a 900 mile round trip along I-95. The last service adjustment on 10/13/11 seems to have improved the situation from what it was, but the issue is still not cured. Each time the sun roof is used either in the vent position or in the sun roof open position it does not appear to close to a repeatable position. If while traveling at greater than 60 MPH you close the sunroof from the vent position the noise is terrible. If you then tap the switch quickly (fast enough that it does not activate the auto open) it will improve the wind noise condition a little. If you close it from the sun roof open position while travelling at higher speeds it is better but still not gone. You can then tap the switch in the vent direction quickly and get it to close a little better. It appears to me that there is too much of a hysteresis band in what is sensed as the "closed" position and the aerodynamics of the speed you are travelling also affects the position where it stops. Not sure how the system senses an acceptable closed position (micro switch??) but it is not precise enough or the seals do not have sufficient compression/flexibility to accomodate that range. On several occasions while stopped I looked at the relative position of the front glass vs. the rear glass and could not see any significant difference using just eyeballs.

My opinion is that this will not ever be solved by just adjustment alone as the local dealer has now tried this multiple times with no long term success. New seals would proably improve the situation for some period of time but there are design issues related to sensing a repeatable closed position that need to be addressed for a permanent solution.

blankster is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Premium AWD 3.6 DI (Sold)

I just finished getting my 2010 CTS ready for winter. Part of that was to apply silicone to all the weatherstripping including the sunroof and fixed glass seals and all is well so far. On the fixed portion I sprayed the seals with the tube inserted in the sprayer and wiped off the residue with a damp rag. On the sunroof I applied the silicone to the seals with a rag which also removed some dirt. I first tilted it up to get the back portion and sides of the seals and the cross member then opend the roof partially to do the front and sides. I'm hopping to avoid future problems.

WillK is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I just posted this on a similar thread about sun roof wind noise.

I just returned from a 900 mile round trip along I-95. The last service adjustment on 10/13/11 seems to

My opinion is that this will not ever be solved by just adjustment alone as the local dealer has now tried this multiple times with no long term success. New seals would proably improve the situation for some period of time but there are design issues related to sensing a repeatable closed position that need to be addressed for a permanent solution.
    So as I had said in the other thread, it sounds like adjustment and seal replacement may be needed. Regarding the last comment, I don't know the details of what changed but I believe I've heard it said that there is a new revision level of the drive motor. IIRC the motor has the electronics and software that controls what you're talking about, so it may take a motor change as well to resolve your issue.

blankster is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Premium AWD 3.6 DI (Sold)

Is there a design revision for 2010 models and up? Have the part numbers changed? I seem to remember reading something regarding the sunroof motor(s) being more sensitive to resistance (thinking the sunroof is closed when is is not fully). There seems to be less issues with later models but then again they have not been in service as long.

The new part would be the part that was used in the build for 2010 models and newer, I don't know for certain exactly when it went into effect but it is probably also in 2009 model year vehicles but maybe not some of the earlier model year 2009 production. As a service part, it would be available for all 2008 and later model years (until the point where next generation CTS goes into production) so the system should not be able to allow an order for a new part of the old style.

I don't know the service procedure well enough to know what would trigger them to do a motor replacement. As a non-service lay person, I don't think I'd normally associate sunroof stop position with the motor so it seems like something that would be understandable if it was missed, but if I'm wrong and you tell the dealer to replace the motor, the dealership might swap in a new motor and if the problem still existed then they might not get waranty reimbursement from GM and they would charge for a headliner remove and reinstall.

So again with the caveat that I'm speaking as an individual who does my own work on cars, and not as someone making a statement officially representing an official position of GM:

If I needed to do the repair myself, I would pull the glass panels and replace the seal then adjust the glass panel. At this point I've done everything I can without removing the headliner.

Then I'd test to see if the condition was corrected. If not, I'd drop the headliner and change the motors. If the sunroof is reversing, and if reversing was corrected, I would have a reason to have done that. If there was no change, I'd put the original motors back and return the new motors (if it is allowed).

If the motor swap still didn't fix the problem, I'd look at the frame. Not much else left at this point.

The headliner wouldn't go back in until the sunroof issue is found and repaired. Any road testing will be noisier because of the absence of the headliner making it harder to hear sunroof noisesr

somedaycts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS4

No wind noise with mine, plenty of squeaks and creaks from the sunroof seals and plastic ring around the headliner.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Super 8 View Post
    I just purchased my certified 2008 cts-4 with 26,000 miles 7-18-11, if I pushed up on the center bow the wind noise was better. I took it to a dealer who added the center seal, now besides it being worse the rear pillars vibrate over road bumps, even the bass from the radio. The mechanic had such filthy hands, now the whole inside top is full of hand prints, including windshield, I will not go back to that dealer.
    I own 4 gm vehicles with sunroofs, this one is not in the same league as the rest, I am tempted to silicone it shut. Keep in mind all the local Cadillac dealers were deleted, I now have to travel 80+ miles, so return visits are a pain.
    I am sorry to hear about your experience. I would like to get more information from you if you would like. Please feel free to contact us privately. Thank you.

Tricia, Cadillac Customer Service.

08 CTS4 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 AWD

Good New !!!!
    I have an 08 CTS AWD, that was just put in the shop due to the 4 year bump to bump warranty getting ready to expire this week. I have a couple of minor issues that i wanted them to fix while still under warranty, one of them was the wind leak in the sunroof.
    After reading all the hit and miss fixes from dealer to dealer, i was a bit skeptical about my dealer fixing the problem.

well i just got it back, and found that they replaced all the seals around the shield as well as the center brace seal, and that took care of the wind noise, even up to 100 mph....quiet as it can be.

so all of you that cannot seem to get this issue fixed, it just seems you dont have knowledgable techs ?

OnboardError is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I've bought my 08 CTS AWD 3.6DI in March and I have brought it in 8 times for this issue. I even contacted GM about it and it still its ongoing. I'm now out of warranty and stuck with the problem. I live in Ny the car is outside all the time. The roof will bind on closing sometimes and back up even the shade will do this sometimes, it creaks and cracks on bumps, and I do have a wind noise at 60 (in a head wind) or 70-80ish otherwise. It seems if I press the center bar up the noise goes away and the car is totally silent. The dealer has tried just about everything adjustment wise and replaced seals and cleaned the gutters. The only thing I can see that they never did was replace the rubber in that is attached to the glass panels. I can see little cracks in that rubber from it getting dried out a little. Nothing terrible though.

Have they replaced the center water channel? Have you asked them if they can do anything else, because there should be a warranty on the repair even if you're a little out of warranty.

And see my post above, response #83. If or when you get enough posts that you can send PM's you can send me a PM to discuss.

Brian M is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by WillK View Post
    So as I had said in the other thread, it sounds like adjustment and seal replacement may be needed. Regarding the last comment, I don't know the details of what changed but I believe I've heard it said that there is a new revision level of the drive motor. IIRC the motor has the electronics and software that controls what you're talking about, so it may take a motor change as well to resolve your issue.
    For info - The dealer finally conceeded to change the seals on my 2008 CTS sunroof. I have now made several high speed trips on I-95 and must say that the new seals are a dramatic improvement. Occasionally after closing the sunroof there will be minor noise but I can usually reopen or place it in vent and then reclose again and it will seal better. It may not be 100% but it is much better than it was prior to the replacement seals.

waynej is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS DI

I have a 2008 CTS. My problem is water leaks down into trunk and puddles under the back seat. All four drains are clear and are draining. Using a water hose on the sunroof will cause water to run inside at the right rear within 15 seconds or so (my drive is not completely level and the right rear is the low side). During this time water is running from all four drains. I have pulled the headliner down enough to see water on the top side of the headliner on the right rear side of the sunroof. The seals around the glass look ok, but do not seal completely at the four corners and at the center of the joint where the glass panels meet. I tested this with a strip of paper and by running Armor All around the seal and observing where it disappeared. My question is, are the seals leaking enough to run water over the top of the trough? Is it possible for the trough to develop a leak? Can one of the drain hoses be leaking? What must I do to trouble shoot this?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.