Flash-to-pass ??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Flash-to-pass ?? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hi all, 2011 CTS AWD Premium Crystal Red Tintcoat. This is my first post and I have a question. When ...
    Lockhart is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 3.6 DI Premium Sedan Crystal Red

Question Flash-to-pass ??

Hi all, 2011 CTS AWD Premium Crystal Red Tintcoat.
    This is my first post and I have a question. When you pull and hold the turn signal lever the high-beams are suppose to stay on until you release the lever. Mine don't stay on, they immediatly return to low-beam and will not stay on. Is this common?? The owners manual says they are to stay on....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rspreng is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Sedan RWD Radiant Silver|Ebony

Re: Flash-to-pass ??

Welcome

I posted the exact same thing because I like to drive occasionally with the switch pulled back. Contrary to the owners manual they only blink. Not fond of this change to the control module.

somedaycts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS4

08/09, maybe 10, the high beams will stay on. Forward from this they only blink. Yes, it is lame.

A Wilson is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium ('08 CTS DI Traded)

Yep, they only flash to high beam when the lights are on. At least the '11s have flash-to-pass when the lights are not on....my '08 HIDs would not flash during the day. Never really missed the feature, just thought it odd.

sfv41901 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Lockhart View Post
    Hi all, 2011 CTS AWD Premium Crystal Red Tintcoat.
    This is my first post and I have a question. When you pull and hold the turn signal lever the high-beams are suppose to stay on until you release the lever. Mine don't stay on, they immediatly return to low-beam and will not stay on. Is this common?? The owners manual says they are to stay on....
    When you "pull" the turn signal lever towards you, they will only flash the high beams. When you "push" the lever towards the front of the car, the high beams will stay on.

08, 09 & 10 did not have flash to pass when the lights were off. The 11+ have flash to pass when the lights are off.

Hope this helps.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Lockhart,
    Did you try to push the turn sign lever out? They may stay on that way. Try this and let us know what you find out.
    Breanne
    Cadillac Customer Service

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

HID's do not like to be switched on for a very short time and then off repeatedly. Hence the lack of this feature on 08' CTS. I do not really miss it anyway.

However, when the main lights are on this feature does work as the high/low beam switch utilizes a mechanical shutter to accomplish light control.

I am not sure how it is accomplished on 11’ year model.

somedaycts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS4

^You bring up a good point I neglected to clarify in my post. I do not have the HID system in my car, I have the base projector beam headlamps.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

I wish they would get rid of high beams altogether. At least once a week I get some moron driving at me on a dark road with his high beams on.

Lockhart is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 3.6 DI Premium Sedan Crystal Red

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Lockhart,
    Did you try to push the turn sign lever out? They may stay on that way. Try this and let us know what you find out.
    Breanne
    Cadillac Customer Service

YES, if I push the lever they do stay on but only if the lights are on. If it is daylight and someone starts to pull out and I pull the lever I only get a short flash.
    Thanks to all who repliede...

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    I wish they would get rid of high beams altogether. At least once a week I get some moron driving at me on a dark road with his high beams on.
    Lucky you.......I get some idiot doing that every night

Quote Originally Posted by Lockhart View Post
    YES, if I push the lever they do stay on but only if the lights are on. If it is daylight and someone starts to pull out and I pull the lever I only get a short flash.
    Thanks to all who repliede...
    Thats how they are designed. Wish mine had flash to pass. Oh well

MKWAGON is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 AWD Sportwagon, Diamond white, 3.6 DI

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH
    Give it 20 years, you may be glad to have high beams on a dark road. I used to think that too when I was a little younger, rarely used my highs, even way out in the sticks on moonless nights and made out just fine. Now, not so lucky anymore. I'm finding I really appreciate the light from my wagon compared to the older vehicles I drive daily, and out in deer country at this time of year, the highs are especially welcome. I now know what I've been missing the last few years and what some of my buddies have been complaining about for a while already. Just saying. MK
    RAB, RAB, MoFex and 3 others like this.

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

Quote Originally Posted by MKWAGON View Post
    Give it 20 years, you may be glad to have high beams on a dark road. I used to think that too when I was a little younger, rarely used my highs, even way out in the sticks on moonless nights and made out just fine. Now, not so lucky anymore. I'm finding I really appreciate the light from my wagon compared to the older vehicles I drive daily, and out in deer country at this time of year, the highs are especially welcome. I now know what I've been missing the last few years and what some of my buddies have been complaining about for a while already. Just saying. MK
    MK WAGON,
    absolutely agree! I rarely use the high beams now but as you said driving through a deer or kangaroo country they are priceless....we just need to educate the idiots that do not know what they are for.....and get rid of the idiots who install after market HID "upgrades" and blind everything around.....
    RAB, RAB, somedaycts and 1 others like this.

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

There's a 3-part CR article that provides some info about flash-to-pass on the 2008+ CTS. Links to these articles:
    Part 1: http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...illac-cts.html
    Part 2: http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...lash-pass.html
    Part 3: http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...ts-part-3.html

Bottom line:
    • 2008-09 CTS's equipped with base halogen headlamps have "daytime" flash-to-pass capability (i.e. headlamp hi-beam mode will activate and stay ON for as long as the stalk is pulled back - daytime or nighttime use).
    • 2008-09 CTS's equipped with optional HID bi-functional* xenon headlights do not have "daytime" flash-to-pass capability. Flash-to-pass will only operate at nighttime, when the headlamps are activated. With the headlamps ON, hi-beam mode will activate and stay ON for as long as the stalk is pulled back.
    • 2010+ CTS's equipped with either base halogen headlamps or optional HID bi-functional* xenon headlamps have "daytime" flash-to-pass capability, however the headlamp flash is only momentary (approx. 0.5 sec in duration). This momentary hi-beam mode headlamp flash works in the same manner whether it's daytime (headlamps OFF) or nighttime (headlamps ON). Any need for an additional flash(s) requires that the stalk be released and pulled back once again.

(*) The front & rear exterior lighting systems on the 2nd gen CTS are provided by Visteon Corporation (Van Buren Township, MI).
    From a Visteon Corp 2007 press release re the HID xenon adaptive headlamp system on the redesigned CTS.. "the bi-functional system delivers both high- and low-beam illumination from a single projector module, saving cost, weight and packaging space. Export models will also have a vertical light leveling feature".
    Link to Visteon Corp's 2007 press release: http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/3198...m-1-3-meg?da=y

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.