2012 CTS Grille ? Opinions ?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2012 CTS Grille ? Opinions ? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I was at the dealer today getting the oil changed on my 2011CTS Coupe and I took some time to ...
    cawengr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Performance Coupe -3.6 DI 6 Speed Manual

2012 CTS Grille ? Opinions ?

I was at the dealer today getting the oil changed on my 2011CTS Coupe and I took some time to look at the 2012's in stock.
    Not very many changes.
    The change I was looking for was the grille, much press about the new style. Is it me or does the new grille look cheap ?
    It looks like GM found another way to save some $$$ and made a 1 piece totally injection molded grille. Looks like it belongs on a $10,000 entry level car and not their $45,000 - $50,000 flagship top of the line offerings. The much touted raised emblem looks a lot cheaper than the 11 model.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rchern is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 Crystal Red CTS Coupe with Ebony Interior

Re: 2012 CTS Grille ? Opinions ?

I think they should have kept the old grill and just made the two horizontal pieces chrome or made the whole thing the body color. I just bought a 2012 and I don't think it looks worse than the old grill, but it doesn't look any better either. If they're going to go to the trouble of changing something, it should look a lot better than the old model and it doesn't. But, the 2012 does have some good new features; blind zone alert, rainsense, heated steering wheel, and a little more accent stitching on the ebony interior (which I didn't think I would like, but I do). It also has a Touring package (which I don't feel like listing everything) but one of the things is a special grill and you can't tell the difference from the regular grill.

chagrin falls is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 srx perf, 2010 cts4 prem

Excluding the V grills, I feel the design of all Cadillac grills is horrible. I love the rear design of all their cars but they miss the mark on the grills. They all look as cheap as the plastic they are made from. It is one of the reasons I replaced the grill on my STS and CTS with an E & G mesh. Just my opinion..............

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

If nothing else the '12 grille certainly looks bolder than the '08-'11 grille. To me the '12 grille looks pretty good from a distance... up-close not as much. The vertical bars seem a tad too wide to me, and I'm not a fan so far of the raised emblem. We'll see as time goes on.
    Beauty of course is in the eye of the beholder. There will be no mistaking a 2012 CTS, which was no doubt the designers' intent.

2012 CTS Sedan - Photo 1

2012 CTS Sedan - Photo 2

2012 CTS Sedan - Photo 3

2012 CTS Coupe

2010/11 CTS Sedan

somedaycts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS4

It looks like they took the Escalade grill and modified it for the 2012. It's not bad, but after seeing the 2012 rental I had side-by-side with an older model, I definitely like the older style.

cawengr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Performance Coupe -3.6 DI 6 Speed Manual

I agree with RAB " To me the '12 grille looks pretty good from a distance... up-close not as much. The vertical bars seem a tad too wide to me"
    From far away it is OK but don't get too close.

12 CTS Touring is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS 6DH35 AWD 1SH Touring

Arrow Re: 2012 CTS Sport Grille with the Touring Package

Quote Originally Posted by rchern View Post
    . . . special grill and you can't tell the difference from the regular grill.
    rchern, the 2012 sport grille is solid black with no "chrome", except around the outside . . . kinda looks sinister with black

2012 Cadillac CTS Wagon front sport grille.jpg

Loveldos is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillacs: '13 CTS Cpe, '01 SLS, '71 Eldo Conv

Although I liked the 2008-2011 CTS grilles, I like the 2012 grilles for the CTS's better. They clearly have the traditional Cadillac trade-mark "egg crate" pattern. The "raised" emblem in the center looks good, too. The CTS Sedans and especially the CTS Coupes are still very sharp looking on the road! (Now if Cadillac would just produce a few "special edition colors, as they did with the "Hot Lava" editions, it would really be the "icing on the cake!")

Re: 2012 CTS Sport Grille with the Touring Package

Quote Originally Posted by 12 CTS Touring View Post
    rchern, the 2012 sport grille is solid black with no "chrome", except around the outside . . . kinda looks sinister with black

Attachment 81174
    The car I saw with the Touring Package wasn't black and I don't remember what color it was but if the black has a grill that is totaly the same as the body color then the one that I saw should have had a grill that was totaly the same as the body color and it didn't because I would have seen it right off the bat just like the photo you posted. BTW, is that an actual photo or a computer rendering?

Quote Originally Posted by cawengr View Post
    I agree with RAB " To me the '12 grille looks pretty good from a distance... up-close not as much. The vertical bars seem a tad too wide to me"
    From far away it is OK but don't get too close.
    It's definitely a 50 foot grill. I wonder if E&G will come up with a new mesh grill? We went through this on a thread about a month ago and someone actually had a picture of a touring package car for sale on you tube and you could tell it was a touring package because of the suede steering wheel, recaro seats and dark wood trim but the grill didn't look different.

12 CTS Touring is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS 6DH35 AWD 1SH Touring

Arrow Re: 2012 CTS Sport Grille with the Touring Package

rchern, my previous pic is a cropped screenshot of the 2012 CTS Sport Grille with the Touring Package from

http://www.cadillac.com/cts-sport-wa...zipcode=83705#

then picking AWD, Premium, NEXT STEP >>, picking Black Diamond Tricoat, clicking on 19" WHEELS, picking CTS Touring Package - Premium, and then Ebony/Ebony, Leather Seating Surfaces - it's the EXTERIOR Front View.

While it's not an actual photo, it's the real deal and not a stock photo with a crooked license plate

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Re: 2012 CTS Sport Grille with the Touring Package

Quote Originally Posted by 12 CTS Touring View Post

The blacked-out 2012 Sport Grille (if that in fact is an accurate depiction of what the '12 Sport Grille will look like) looks good! - much sportier looking than the standard '12 grille with all the bright bits.
    If I was buying a '12 CTS I would definitely go that route. To be clear though.. I wouldn't go with the 'WBL' CTS Touring Package to obtain the TL1 Sport Grille (I wouldn't want the sueded steering wheel rim and shift knob, chrome door handles, etc., etc.).. I would either buy the '12 Sport Grille assembly as a stand-alone parts package from the dealer's parts dept (which will likely be quite expensive) or have the as-delivered standard grille assemblies (upper & lower) painted flat black in all the right places to achieve the same look as the Sport Grille (as it appears in the photo above).

Edit: Whether the 2012 TL1 Sport Grille comes blacked-out or not, I'd still want to go with the blacked-out look per the included photo.

caddad08 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS4 DI Hot Lava Edition PDZ AWD FE2

My personal preference is the old style grille for a more sporty appearance

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

I prefer the '08 grill, but I am biased

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, new engine Nov '13 @ 44Kmi.

I, too, prefer the 2008-11 grille...and, btw, 2008-09 rocker panels. Please, GM, don't morph the CTS into the proverbial Cadillac "old folk's car."

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.