water leak in passenger floor area
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, water leak in passenger floor area in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; 2008 CTS Everytime it rains hard, water leaks into the passenger floor area. Has anyone else had it happend? Can ...
    0-60n4 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS DI white diamond

rain water in passenger floor board

2008 CTS Everytime it rains hard, water leaks into the passenger floor area. Has anyone else had it happend? Can anyone help?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

water leak in passenger floor area

2008 CTS: Everytime it rains hard, water leaks into the passenger floor area. I assume a drain must be clogged somewhere around the windshield/hood area. Can anyone help?

Joe
    Joe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS blk/blk

Re: water leak in passenger floor area

I just went through this. I took it to a Cadillac dealer. They removed the head liner, replaced the rubber around the glass. Then they removed my seats and put in all new rugs. They replaced or cleaned all four drain hoses and put back the headliner. This was a $2000.00 job for GM and it cost me very little. I also got a loaner for 4 days for zip. Thank you GM and Long Cadillac for taking responsibility for a an engineering error. My car had 50k on it when it was repaired about 3 weeks ago. Best of luck

MontrealFire is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Had a similar problem with my 2009, they traced it back to a blocked sunroof drain. The water would leak down behind the A pillar and pool on the passenger side.

reciprocity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2009 CTS Premium (RWD w/3.6DI & FE2)

Does anyone know if there's a simple way to clean (or at least inspect) the drain hoses? Or do you just cross your fingers and learn of an issue at some inopportune time when you find your car full of rain water?

Even though my cars are almost always covered when they're outside (and I rarely park under trees that could clog up the drains), after reading several reports of this happening, I'd like to make sure I don't run into this issue. This is yet another reason I'm disappointed I chose a car with this poorly engineered UltraView moonroof.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Have you contacted the dealership yet? I recommend talking to them. Let us know how it goes there.
    Breanne
    Cadillac Customer Service

Delta is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Some kind of CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I just went through this. I took it to a Cadillac dealer. They removed the head liner, replaced the rubber around the glass. Then they removed my seats and put in all new rugs. They replaced or cleaned all four drain hoses and put back the headliner. This was a $2000.00 job for GM and it cost me very little. I also got a loaner for 4 days for zip. Thank you GM and Long Cadillac for taking responsibility for a an engineering error. My car had 50k on it when it was repaired about 3 weeks ago. Best of luck
    Which means the tech reached his hand up under the headlining and reattached the drain that came off, replaced the sunroof seals,replaced the carpet and charged GM 8 hours
    Quote Originally Posted by MontrealFire View Post
    Had a similar problem with my 2009, they traced it back to a blocked sunroof drain. The water would leak down behind the A pillar and pool on the passenger side.
    that's exactly what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    Does anyone know if there's a simple way to clean (or at least inspect) the drain hoses? Or do you just cross your fingers and learn of an issue at some inopportune time when you find your car full of rain water?

Even though my cars are almost always covered when they're outside (and I rarely park under trees that could clog up the drains), after reading several reports of this happening, I'd like to make sure I don't run into this issue. This is yet another reason I'm disappointed I chose a car with this poorly engineered UltraView moonroof.
    you can really only test the front ones unless you want to remove your back glass. Just open your sunroof, get a glass of water and pour it on the frame in the corners and make sure it's draining. when it drains, make sure there is no water pooling in the floor boards and that it's draining into the wheel well. If it's not draining, then you obviously have a problem.

loosend is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DI RWD w/ Prem & Perf Pkgs Blk/Blk FE2

Delta is right on in what he is saying and besides blowing air up from where the hoses drain, there doesn't seem to be a good answer. The rear two drains exit the rear wheel wells in a grommet under the side panels in the trunk. If you use air, you have to make sure you don't blow the hose off the drain fitting under the rear sunroof glass--then you have to drop the headliner like was said to re-attach. The front drain hose exit behind the inner fender wells and can be seen if you remove the bottom two attaching push tabs and pull the inner fender well out to see behind it. I know that the hoses also tend to have a muck build up inside over time and thought of using a light bleach solution to pour down the drains to remove it BUT if the solution accidentally hits any interior or headliner parts, they will be ruined so it might not be a good idea after all. It might not be so good for the hoses either. I had this same issue with the right rear drain and my car flooded under the rear seats and rear footwells. It took some convincing for the dearler to replace the rear carpet just today because of lingering odor but they are going to order it thankfully. Thanks Delta for your knowledge on this.

I called the dealer where we purchased the car..."Arnold Palmer of South Charlotte" in Pineville, NC. The car has been in numerous times for other warranty items. Since the car now has over 50,000 miles, they said it would not be coverd. I am very dissapointed in this Cadilac and with the ARNOLD PALMER OF SOUTH CHARLOTTE dealership.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Have you contacted the dealership yet? I recommend talking to them. Let us know how it goes there.
    Breanne
    The service dept. at ARNOLD PALMER OF SOUTH CHARLOTTE, in Pinevill, NC where we purchased the car in 2009, said that since I am out of warranty on miles (still in by months) that they can not help me with the cost of repair. They said if I took it a dealer where I have been getting my service work (oil changes) they might be able to help me out. I have always taken the car to these guys for repairs, which has been way too many times, but only a couple times there for oil changes because they are too expensive. So I guess that means they have an option to help me if they want to. But because I don't take the car to them for all my routine oil changes they have to desire to help me out. How's that for customer service.

wesiii is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS Performance

If you decide to try to clear out the drains lines yourself, you can use thick monofilament or weed wacker line to run through the 4 drains.

Open sunroof.

Front: Take a cup of water and carefully pour into front drain channel to gauge initial drain rate. Use weed wacker line and rod out front drains from roof. The front drain lines run down the "A" pillars and exit out the side (behind the fender) about a foot below the top of the dash (about 3.5 feet). Pour more water and observe draining. Run weed wacker line again. Repeat until satisfied. You should notice the run off puddling behind the front wheels and may also observe dirt/sludge/algae that was in the lines.

Rear: As stated in other replies, the rear drain lines run down the "C" pillars into the trunk and exit out the rear wheelhouses. Peel back the sides of the trunk liner to access the drain lines. The right rear drain line can be seen by removing the battery access cover, but it is difficult to work with unless you peel back the liner. Detach the rear lines from the wheelwell grommets and run weed wacker line up the drain lines. The distance from the end of the line to the drain in the sunroof is about 4.5 feet. Place the drain line in a bucket or bottle. Carefully pour water into the side drain channels of the sunroof. You may want to have someone else pour water in the channels while you observe the flow going into the bucket/bottle. Run weed wacker line again. Repeat until satisfied.

All sunroofs leak some water and that leak off is normally handled by the drain lines. IMO this sunroof is a flawed design for two reasons. (1) The fixed portion of the sunroof uses the same type of perimeter seal the moving portion uses and therefore doubles the amount of leak off compared to a standard sunroof. (2) The drain lines are undersized even for a standard sized sunroof. As a result of this, the drain lines at best, are barely adequate for a light rain. Throw in a little bit of clogging and a little more rain and we get what we all complain about. After getting frustrated with constantly cleaning lines and still living with leaks, I removed my headliner to see if I could resolve this problem. I ended up replacing all four lines with 1/2" id tubing (in place of the factory 1/4" id) and since then have had zero leakage even in a total downpour (I live in Florida).

Hope this helps, good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by wesiii View Post
    All sunroofs leak some water and that leak off is normally handled by the drain lines. IMO this sunroof is a flawed design for two reasons. (1) The fixed portion of the sunroof uses the same type of perimeter seal the moving portion uses and therefore doubles the amount of leak off compared to a standard sunroof. (2) The drain lines are undersized even for a standard sized sunroof. As a result of this, the drain lines at best, are barely adequate for a light rain. Throw in a little bit of clogging and a little more rain and we get what we all complain about. After getting frustrated with constantly cleaning lines and still living with leaks, I removed my headliner to see if I could resolve this problem. I ended up replacing all four lines with 1/2" id tubing (in place of the factory 1/4" id) and since then have had zero leakage even in a total downpour (I live in Florida).

Hope this helps, good luck.
    What a wealth of information. Can you elaborate as to how you were able to change the drain nipples in the sunroof to 1/2" size and how you routed the lines in the wheel wells? Also, did you use the original rubber grommets and what type of hose did you use? Rubber hose, surgical hose, or the clear hose you can get at Home Depot? I guess you could do it in 3/8" line as well and thanks for your help.

wesiii is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS Performance

I did use 1/2" id-5/8" od clear hose that I got from Lowes. I considered 3/8", but I pictured kicking myself some time in the future for not using the largest size that would fit. There are several other hose options and I really wanted something that had a little more rigid thinner wall. I originally bought the clear hose because it was a cheap experiment, but as I started to work with it, it came together so well I just went with it.

The 4 drain nipples on the corner of the sunroof are 1/2 od. There is a grommet on each corner that reduces them to 3/8 od to fit the original drain lines. The clear hose fit perfectly on the sunroof nipples once the reducer was removed. There are clips on the stock hose that keep them in place (2 in the rear)(3 in front-2 on "A" pillar, 1 under dash). Once I removed the clips from the stock hose, I taped precut lengths of new hose to them (roof side) and then pulled the whole thing through the trunk and underdash, respectively. I placed a grommet around the front lines and secured the grommet to the existing inner fender holes. The fronts were a pain to get to and I had to slightly enlarge the hole to accomodate the larger grommet. The rears were easy. I secured the new hose to a 1/2 nipple and pushed it through the existing wheelhouse grommet. After installing the new lines, I took the car to a "touchless" automated carwash. Those things put out a ton of water. With the headliner removed I had a blast watching water trickle through the new drain lines without ever approaching (flow) capacity.

Removing and reinstalling the interior parts (especially the headliner) takes patience and took the longest time, but is not overly difficult. I removed the headliner from my car, but I would recommend leaving it in and trying to work around it. There are two electrical harnesses that are glued to the headliner that I had to remove and then reattach when installing. I wish I had taken pictures. I would be happy to answer any other questions.

Quote Originally Posted by wesiii View Post
    There are clips on the stock hose that keep them in place (2 in the rear)(3 in front-2 on "A" pillar, 1 under dash).
    What so you mean about the 1 under the dash and how does that one come into play? Is it the AC condenser drain tube or related to the sunroof? How do you get to that one under the dash? I previously had a leak on the front passenger floor when using the AC and related to the AC condenser drain hose but the service writer at the dealership did not know how to access that. There will be tons of people interested in this thread if they plan on keeping their cars like I do. Thanks again.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

0-60n4,
    Can you please PM or email me your contact information (name, address, phone number, email address) along with your VIN number, and mileage of the vehicle. I would like to see what I can do to help you out with this issue.
    Breanne

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.