water leak in passenger floor area - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, water leak in passenger floor area in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Just purchased a used 2009 cadillac cts...love it! However, when rained water was coming in back and front soaking my ...
    mommy653 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 cadillac cts

Re: rain water in passenger floor board

Just purchased a used 2009 cadillac cts...love it! However, when rained water was coming in back and front soaking my carpet! Made my car smell like wet dog, and electronics started acting crazy, during rain storm the back window rolled down by itself and we could not get it to roll back up...very heavy rain...luckily I had several trash bags could block window with from outside to stop furthur damage. This was the first week we owned the car...during storm, we could see water leaking in several places. Dealer in Panama City Fl said knew exactly the issue, very common. The design flaw is the drain tubes for sunroof have flaps on ends and they get stuck shut or clogged. So they clipped the ends of the drain plugs to remove the flap, blew out the tubes, replaced and rearranged them and said I will never have an issue again. No warranty, cost $168.

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

Re: water leak in passenger floor area

Hope they got it fixed up for you.
    You do realize to get the water out you really should pull the carpet out.
    Dry it and treat it for mold mildew.

I found this informative.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: rain water in passenger floor board

Quote Originally Posted by mommy653 View Post
    Just purchased a used 2009 cadillac cts...love it! However, when rained water was coming in back and front soaking my carpet! Made my car smell like wet dog, and electronics started acting crazy, during rain storm the back window rolled down by itself and we could not get it to roll back up...very heavy rain...luckily I had several trash bags could block window with from outside to stop furthur damage. This was the first week we owned the car...during storm, we could see water leaking in several places. Dealer in Panama City Fl said knew exactly the issue, very common. The design flaw is the drain tubes for sunroof have flaps on ends and they get stuck shut or clogged. So they clipped the ends of the drain plugs to remove the flap, blew out the tubes, replaced and rearranged them and said I will never have an issue again. No warranty, cost $168.
    Hello mommy653,

Congrats on your 09' CTS! I am glad you are loving it so far. I am sorry to hear of the rain effect on your carpet. I see you were able to have the work done and repaired at a dealership. I hope the issue does not come back for you, as it shouldn't after being repaired. If you ever have any questions or concerns, please contact us via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

athielking is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS

I'm having this same issue except on the driver's side.

Any How To's for dropping the headliner and fixing / replacing the drain hoses?

ClaasI is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS DI Crystal Red

First of all before I start with my post I'd like to thank each and every one of you in this thread. I've been a long time visitor but only now decided to register on these forums. The community here is excellent! I especially appreciate the DIY fixes and explanations. I may be having to do this particular fix on my own here soon.

So here's my particular situation:

I purchased my 08' CTS maybe a couple months after it was introduced. For the first 3 years that I owned it it was garage kept. About 2.5 years ago I moved and no longer had a garage. Since 90% of the time I drive with the sunroof open and windows down I believe this dried out any dampness in the rear passenger headliner too quickly for me to notice this issue. Over time a slightly darker tint began developing on the fabric. Soon after noticing I had a couple buddies in the car with me and the friend who was sitting in the rear passenger side said he felt dampness on the fabric.

Well at this point it wasn't something I could ignore. The next rainstorm that came through (I'm in FL so this was within a week), I waited 30 minutes and then went out and entered the car. Sure enough a dark wet stain was developing in the exact spot. The next day I called my local dealership and notified them of the situation. My Bumper to Bumper warranty was over due to mileage (only by a couple thousand at this point). I asked if they could make an exception since this has been an issue for sometime but because the vehicle was garage kept the first 3 years, it had eluded me. They quoted me somewhere around $700 or $800 and told me they'd see what they could do. I bit the bullet seeing as I didn't have much time to take care of it myself back then. So as not to be disappointed I went into it without any expectations of having the cost covered.

The dealership (Sam Taylor Buick Cadillac of Fort Walton Beach, FL) had to take out the rear seats and dry them for a couple days because they were so soaked. The drainage tubes had grown algae in a few places and this caused pressure which detached a segment of the tubes and in turn caused the leaking. After everything was said and done (3-4 days), Sam Taylor paid for half of the repairs because my father had purchased an XLR from them in 2005.

Last week after a particularly nasty rain storm I went out to my car to grab something in the back seat. I've been paying attention to the leak area and about once a week I glance back at it. So this time I look up after grabbing some paperwork and it's wet again. Not soaked, but wet. Unaware of the warranty length for the repair I called Sam Taylor today hoping it hasn't been too long. I was informed that the repair was done on August of 2012 and the warranty is only good for 1 year.

Excellent...

So at this point I'm thoroughly annoyed. I'll be damned if I'm going to have to dish out $700-$800 only to have this happen a third time in a year or two. I'm going to have to tackle this on my own since the dealership didn't solve it. I'll be installing the 1/2" tubing like wesiii did. Now to find the time...

In any case, I'll document it all with pictures and/or video for any future DIYers.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

There's a thread on this. I may have it . Hopefully I can remember tomorrow to find it.

dutchess is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS

I am new to this forum and found it as I googled to find out if anyone else was having issues with their sunroof leaking and I see it's a very common
    problem. I have a 2009 Cadillac CTS and purchased it 2 years ago. About 4 months after I purchased the car it was raining and I stopped at a traffic
    light and took off and when I did water poured in on my foot. I was like what just happened? Along with that rain it was leaking in the back onto the leather seat. Took it to the dealer and they fixed it, or so we thought. Next rain same thing. I have had my car at the dealer 11 times for this issue ( it's at the
    dealer right now again for this). I park under no trees so am not sure why this keeps happening over and over again. I am currently looking to get rid of this car and am so disappointed in this issue and tired of running to the dealership. The carpet had to be replaced because the smell wouldn't go away and when I took the car yesterday I was told it's out of warranty but he would see what he could do about taking care of it. Really?? This has been an ongoing problem with this vehicle. So we will see what happens when I go to pick it up. Sure has put a bad taste in my mouth for purchasing another Cadillac. So glad I found this site and to see it's not just me that has had this issue.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

First, welcome to the forum, and we are all proud you have made an effort to find out information all by yourself. Kudos. Now...

Your dealer is a moron.

They have tried - and failed - a dozen times to fix what they should have taken care of in one effort. They need to make this right, and they need to do it now. IMHO they owe you carpet and headliner gratis. If all else fails, are you any good at DIY? There are lots of informative threads as you have discovered. I think I have that covered in my own document (CTS Knowledgebase) that I would be willing to send to you if you PM me your personal email (which you can't do yet as you haven't posted enough).

Right now I believe you need the help of Laura or Greg who are the Cadillac Customer Service reps who troll, er, I mean monitor this sight (just kidding, Greg and Laura). They actually can help you out with this and provide some assistance. Hopefully they will pick up on this and reach out to you. They have help a few of us here, including me.

Meanwhile hang in there. You have way more patience that me.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by dutchess View Post
    I am new to this forum and found it as I googled to find out if anyone else was having issues with their sunroof leaking and I see it's a very common
    problem. I have a 2009 Cadillac CTS and purchased it 2 years ago. About 4 months after I purchased the car it was raining and I stopped at a traffic
    light and took off and when I did water poured in on my foot. I was like what just happened? Along with that rain it was leaking in the back onto the leather seat. Took it to the dealer and they fixed it, or so we thought. Next rain same thing. I have had my car at the dealer 11 times for this issue ( it's at the
    dealer right now again for this). I park under no trees so am not sure why this keeps happening over and over again. I am currently looking to get rid of this car and am so disappointed in this issue and tired of running to the dealership. The carpet had to be replaced because the smell wouldn't go away and when I took the car yesterday I was told it's out of warranty but he would see what he could do about taking care of it. Really?? This has been an ongoing problem with this vehicle. So we will see what happens when I go to pick it up. Sure has put a bad taste in my mouth for purchasing another Cadillac. So glad I found this site and to see it's not just me that has had this issue.
    Hey dutchess,

I am very sorry you have experienced so many problems with your sunroof leaking. I would like to look into this issue further if you could please PM me your VIN, contact, and dealer information we can discuss this further. If you cannot send a PM, you can also email me at socialmedia@gm.com with “Attention: Austin” in the subject line. Hope to hear from you soon.

Austin J.
    Cadillac Customer Care

0-60n4 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS DI white diamond

Well I'm back again. I'm the one who started this thread in 2011. Sorry to see so many other CTS owners having the same issue with water leaking into their "top of the line" GM cars. I was never able to get this problem resolved and never received any assistance from the selling dealer, Cadillac or GM. Next the truck started getting wet. I could not find the source of the leak but carpet would be wet after a rain. Then last weekend my wife pulled her suite case out of the trunk and it was wet. She lifted the cover off the spare tire and the spare tire area had about 8" of standing water. That was it. Took it to the local dealer. Oh, it was just the seals around the back of the sunroof. Have to pull the sunroof out and replace the seals. Only $450.00. Oh, the drain tubes? Yea we have a maintenance program where many CTS owners come in about every 3rd oil change so we can clean those drain tubes out. We've been doing this for several years now. It's a common problem.

You know, that's total B.S. that Cadillac let a piece of junk like this reach the market place and now not stand behind it. I've had much older Fords, Mercs and multiple trucks with sunroofs and never once had a problem with water leaks. I'm paying the bill to have this fixed and then filing a civil suite. Who wants a piece of it. PM me and I'll put you on the list. I'll post this on as many forums as I can find. Wonder how many CTS owner are fed up with this crap? It's time to force GM and Cadillac to step up and take care of us. They have not have a good recall in a while. It's about time.

----------

Just got the call from the dealer that it's ready to be picked up. Total cost to fix all the leaks and dry it out (did not replace any carpet) plus recommended service, tire rotation, and alignment comes to $1,193.00. But they will clean those drain tube back out at no charge this fall!

Douglas Rome is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-4 3.0 Base sedan black/black

good for you, go get 'em!! I too have had many cars with sunroofs and never, ever,
    a single leak, makes you wonder? I suppose it's just dumb luck on my part, Linda's CTS
    has no sunroof; one, all the cars she had it never used it, two, I thought the huge
    sun/moon whatever they call it looks cheesy on the inside, three, it's about a $1000
    option. I do feel sorry for you guys who have them. thanks, douglas

loosend is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DI RWD w/ Prem & Perf Pkgs Blk/Blk FE2

Quote Originally Posted by dutchess View Post
    The water on your foot might be from the AC drain hose being clogged and the condensate box filling. The AC runs when it is raining/humid to remove moisture from the interior so it should be draining the water and this was one of my many leak issues. The hose is to the right of the accelerator pedal and drains in the transmission tunnel.

0-60n4 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS DI white diamond

OK, talked to an attorney. I guess it will actually be a class action law suite and not a civil suite. In addition to going for reimbursement on repair cost, we will be going for damages in loss of vehicle value. 1. If repaired at a dealer it will later show up on a CarFax. A potential buyer will then know you had water damage. The vehicle will be worth less. 2nd, the word has spread about the all so common complaints of water leaks in the CTS and the market value has and will decline as a result. Estimated loss in value may be between $5,000 and $10,000 depending on vehicle age, mileage and condition. I will discuss further then decide if I want to pursue it.

Douglas Rome is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-4 3.0 Base sedan black/black

I applaud you for your diligence and if ever there was a case to be made, this
    sounds like it has merit. However, if I could play devil's advocate, I wonder how
    many CTSs with moonroof actually leak; is it all of them, is it some of them? The
    only ones we know about are the ones posted here, and there are plenty of them,
    but I have a hunch many of the leakers are not reported here, probably many more
    are never reported anywhere; you'd be surprised how many folks are never aware of
    a problem, if they are aware, they dump the car, etc. I guess what I'm saying is could
    you make a blanket statement that all CTS moonroofs leak? They probably all do leak,
    after-all, they're all made the same. One would think that after a known reported condition,
    that the engineers would have come up with a cure, apparently not? It sounds like a
    lawsuit to me. thanks, douglas
    loosend likes this.

silky17 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS Black Cherry

Hi, I just purchase a 2008 Cadillac CTS with less than 17,000 miles on it. I thought I was getting a great deal on a 6 year old car, until I noticed water in the truck area and the rear headliner was leaking as well. I was able clean all 4 drains with a 10' Cobra 00054 Dryer vent Brush that I purchased on Ebay. Not I'm not getting anymore water in the trunk area but the rear headliners are still leaking. Do anyone know how to replace the sunroof seals? Thanks!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.