water leak in passenger floor area - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, water leak in passenger floor area in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by loosend It should not be a problem at all especially if you take it while the carpet ...
    sampson is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Re: water leak in passenger floor area

Quote Originally Posted by loosend View Post
    It should not be a problem at all especially if you take it while the carpet is damp. Just don't leave it wet for too long.
    Catch 22. Do I leave it wet as proof of the leak or clean it up? I'm tempted to try fishing the clog through with string trimmer cord as was suggested in the thread but then I am destroying the evidence. But if I fix it then I don't have to worry about heavy handed mechanics clunking around with delicate interior materials. And the earliest appointment I could get is in 5 days.
    What to do, what to do?

WillK is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by sampson View Post
    Catch 22. Do I leave it wet as proof of the leak or clean it up? I'm tempted to try fishing the clog through with string trimmer cord as was suggested in the thread but then I am destroying the evidence. But if I fix it then I don't have to worry about heavy handed mechanics clunking around with delicate interior materials. And the earliest appointment I could get is in 5 days.
    What to do, what to do?
    I would suggest cleaning up the water. The dealer should be able to simulate heavy rain with a car wash, or better yet you could do that yourself as your appointment gets closer.

loosend is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DI RWD w/ Prem & Perf Pkgs Blk/Blk FE2

Like Will said, definitely sop the wetness up with a towel and blow a fan over it as you can't leave it wet or that long. I wouldn't fool with the trimmer cord until after the issue is fixed so you don't remove any blockages (destroy the evidence) like you said--LOL or make a possibly unhooked drain hose worse. After they fix your problem, you can do the trimmer cord as a maintenance to keep the drain hoses clear. I am going to do mine every six months and trickle some water down and make sure it drips out at each wheel well.

0-60n4 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS DI white diamond

Good luck. I was told it is not a warranty item and would not be covered even if you are still under warranty.

sampson is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Quote Originally Posted by 0-60n4 View Post
    Good luck. I was told it is not a warranty item and would not be covered even if you are still under warranty.
    I understand. I went out there and cleaned the drains with some teflon coated 12 gauge wire. Was a large compaction at the bottom of the passenger side tube but it's cleared out now. Blew some compressed air and about 2 gallons of water through both sides so it's good to go. A virtual waterfall behind the wheels with the inside staying dry. I'd like to get at the backs now for some preventative maintenance. Maybe a project for another day.

Surfstix is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 Coupe Premium & 2008 SRX4

I will never buy any vehicle with a sunroof they are nothing but problems my wife has that rattle trap on her SRX again Thank God for good stereo's and besides I've had enough problems already w/o a sunroof.IDK what the attraction is.

osorio181028 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS RED CHERRY

im currently having the same issues with my 2008 cts and the dealership is not budging to help any suggestion im in dallas texas

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

osorio181028,

We're sorry that you're having some leaking problems on your CTS; if you would like for us to check into this further with your dealership please don't hesitate to email us at the email in our signature with further details (include your name, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN,a summary of the situation, and the name of your dealership).

Sarah (Assisting Katie), Cadillac Customer Service

ojtopitges is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Re: rain water in passenger floor board

Same thing 2008 CTS, they said the water wells from the sunroof were an issue. Guess again. I looked at the door seals and one came loose. But not only were the floors wet on the passenger side but the seat belts were soaking from both sides. So I think I am going to look at those seals again and see if I have some defects and take it in again. I'm still under warrantee, and I'm not sure it that's covered.

whoppo is offline Cadillac Owners Member

My Wife's 2008 CTS has joined the leaker's club. With every rain storm we wind up with gallons of water in the trunk's spare wheel well and the interior of the car.
    The dealership was happy to sell us every form of extended warranty available and we were happy to spend thousands of dollars extra for the peace of mind that comes with being "covered", but alas... water leaks of any kind are not covered according to the dealer's service department. We've owned Caddilac's for the past couple of decades, but this experience is making me re-think that our future automotive purchases. We're very disappointed with our after-the-sale service.

Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    My Wife's 2008 CTS has joined the leaker's club. With every rain storm we wind up with gallons of water in the trunk's spare wheel well and the interior of the car.
    The dealership was happy to sell us every form of extended warranty available and we were happy to spend thousands of dollars extra for the peace of mind that comes with being "covered", but alas... water leaks of any kind are not covered according to the dealer's service department. We've owned Caddilac's for the past couple of decades, but this experience is making me re-think that our future automotive purchases. We're very disappointed with our after-the-sale service.
    Hello whoppo,

I apologize that you are experiencing a leaking issue with your wife’s CTS and that you are dissatisfied with the service you have received after the sale. I would like to look into this issue more on your behalf. Could you private message me your name, contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealership you have been working with? Thank you very much for your time, and I look forward to assisting you with this concern.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

whoppo is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Hello whoppo,

I apologize that you are experiencing a leaking issue with your wife’s CTS and that you are dissatisfied with the service you have received after the sale. I would like to look into this issue more on your behalf. Could you private message me your name, contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealership you have been working with? Thank you very much for your time, and I look forward to assisting you with this concern.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care
    Thanks much! PM sent

Hello whoppo,

Thanks for responding! I have received your PM and I will continue our conversation through that. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Jezaco is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Quote Originally Posted by wesiii View Post
    If you decide to try to clear out the drains lines yourself, you can use thick monofilament or weed wacker line to run through the 4 drains.

Open sunroof.

Front: Take a cup of water and carefully pour into front drain channel to gauge initial drain rate. Use weed wacker line and rod out front drains from roof. The front drain lines run down the "A" pillars and exit out the side (behind the fender) about a foot below the top of the dash (about 3.5 feet). Pour more water and observe draining. Run weed wacker line again. Repeat until satisfied. You should notice the run off puddling behind the front wheels and may also observe dirt/sludge/algae that was in the lines.

Rear: As stated in other replies, the rear drain lines run down the "C" pillars into the trunk and exit out the rear wheelhouses. Peel back the sides of the trunk liner to access the drain lines. The right rear drain line can be seen by removing the battery access cover, but it is difficult to work with unless you peel back the liner. Detach the rear lines from the wheelwell grommets and run weed wacker line up the drain lines. The distance from the end of the line to the drain in the sunroof is about 4.5 feet. Place the drain line in a bucket or bottle. Carefully pour water into the side drain channels of the sunroof. You may want to have someone else pour water in the channels while you observe the flow going into the bucket/bottle. Run weed wacker line again. Repeat until satisfied.

All sunroofs leak some water and that leak off is normally handled by the drain lines. IMO this sunroof is a flawed design for two reasons. (1) The fixed portion of the sunroof uses the same type of perimeter seal the moving portion uses and therefore doubles the amount of leak off compared to a standard sunroof. (2) The drain lines are undersized even for a standard sized sunroof. As a result of this, the drain lines at best, are barely adequate for a light rain. Throw in a little bit of clogging and a little more rain and we get what we all complain about. After getting frustrated with constantly cleaning lines and still living with leaks, I removed my headliner to see if I could resolve this problem. I ended up replacing all four lines with 1/2" id tubing (in place of the factory 1/4" id) and since then have had zero leakage even in a total downpour (I live in Florida).

Hope this helps, good luck.
    Thank you so much. This Forum and this answer gave me information and confidence to try and do this myself. Surprisingly, I got everything apart and back together the way it is supposed to be. I didn't have the right filament to clean out the front sunroof drains, but I ended up using air. Now the front floor area doesn't fill up with water when it rains. I did take the covers off the A pillars to check the lines.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Good for you. I hope you did not suffer any headliner damage.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.