Front Speaker cuts in and out
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Front Speaker cuts in and out in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hello all, having an annoying issue with my 08 CTS4. I have had it at the dealer 5 times now ...
    silvalac08 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS-4

Angry Front Speaker cuts in and out

Hello all, having an annoying issue with my 08 CTS4. I have had it at the dealer 5 times now and they can't seem to solve the problem. Driver side front speaker cuts in and out, usually happens when I hit a bump or make a sharp turn. So far they have replaced the speaker, replaced the fuse box and replaced the radio unit. Every time it does the same thing. Hit a bump speaker cuts out, hit another pops back on. Dealer doesn't seem to have a clue how to fix it, so I figured I would reach out here to see if anyone else has had a similar experience. Any advise you can give would be much appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Re: Front Speaker cuts in and out

silvalac08, what model audio system do you have in your '08 CTS4? Four (4) different systems were available on the '08 CTS:

U2T: AM/FM stereo with single-slot CD player and MP3 playback with Radio Data System (RDS) and Bose audio
    U2R: AM/FM stereo with 6-disc in-dash CD changer and MP3 playback with Radio Data System (RDS) and Bose audio
    U2S: AM/FM stereo with CD/DVD player, MP3 playback and Bose 5.1 Cabin Surround Sound 10-speaker system with Radio Data System (RDS), 40GB Hard Drive Device (HDD), USB and audio connectivity with steering wheel controls
    UAV: Audio system with navigation, AM/FM stereo with CD/DVD player, MP3 playback, Bose 5.1 Cabin Surround Sound 10-speaker system and HDD-based navigation with XM NavTraffic/Real Time Weather, 8" pop-up screen, Radio Data System (RDS), 40GB Hard Drive Device (HDD), USB with audio connectivity with steering wheel controls

On my '08 CTS4 (equipped with the UAV system) I had intermittent problems with the center (front) audio channel, with the center speaker cutting out OFTEN, including when the vehicle hit bumps. It was annoying listening to The Beatles LOVE DVD-A disc with this problem, with most of the vocals on that particular disc assigned to the center channel.
    The problem turned out to be poor continuity involving a couple of pins/sockets on one of the connectors that plugs into the audio system's 300-watt multi-channel amplifier. The amplifier (on the UAV system) is mounted on the left side-wall of the trunk, behind the liner. To address the problem on my '08 the radio techies cut off the factory-original connector and applied a new one, in the process applying new pins/sockets to all wires for that connector. Problem solved - The Beatles never sounded better.

I'd recommend you instruct your dealer to check out the connections/pin continuity on the connectors to your audio system's amplifier. Note that some of the pins/sockets could have surface oxidation, which can degrade electrical continuity.

wmillar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

Rab, I did have the same problem you had the left front speaker, it would cut out and in when I would hit a bump. I have been to the dealer twice in the past, I finally fixed it myself.

I took off the left side padding in the trunk and there was the transformer. I bought some electrical spray and sprayed on each connector and have had no problem since. My car is a 2008 CTS, the same radio as yours.

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by wmillar View Post
    Rab, I did have the same problem you had the left front speaker, it would cut out and in when I would hit a bump. I have been to the dealer twice in the past, I finally fixed it myself.

I took off the left side padding in the trunk and there was the transformer. I bought some electrical spray and sprayed on each connector and have had no problem since. My car is a 2008 CTS, the same radio as yours.
    wmillar, that's great you were able to fix the problem yourself. The radio techs at my dealer also tried an 'electrical continuity enhancement spray' on the amplifier's connector pins/sockets on my (previous) '08 CTS4, but that action never fixed the problem (i.e. center channel/speaker cutting out).

The fact that two of us here have had the same/similar problem involving the connector(s) to the audio system's amplifer (both instances on a 2008 CTS) suggests perhaps a somewhat common problem area, at least on 2008 m-y cars. We'll see what the OP reports back after he brings his '08 CTS4 to the dealer for a 6th time (!) to fix his speaker/channel problem.

silvalac08 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS-4

Hi, looks like I have the U2R. Thanks for the advise. Dealer actually called me this morning and advised that they ordered a new Amp for me. I'll make sure to tell them to check the connectors as well when the part comes in. 6 times already this is getting to be nuts. They may have to throw in a free oil change or something for my troubles. I even left it with them for an entire week when I went on vacation...still couldn't fix it. They have had my car for a total of 12 days so far.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

I am glad that this issue is being resolved. Let us know how it goes with the dealer.
    Breanne
    Cadillac Customer Assistance

cspelletti is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS

I have the same problem. GM won't do anything about their defective model. There are a lot of us out there with this issue. Wanna join me in starting a class action lawsuit against GM?

thavil is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 Black Cherry Cadillac CTS4

Quote Originally Posted by cspelletti View Post
    I have the same problem. GM won't do anything about their defective model. There are a lot of us out there with this issue. Wanna join me in starting a class action lawsuit against GM?
    Before you start a class action lawsuit, have you tried the fix that RAB and wmillar described above. My dealer also couldn't fix my drivers side speakers cutting out over certain bumps. They replaced a few speakers in an attempt to correct the problem. I ended up pulling the left side padding in the trunk to access the amp and removed all connectors to the amp with the vehicle off. Plugged all connectors back in and haven't had the problem since.

cspelletii, I'd also be interested to hear what kind of repairs have been attempted! I'm sorry you've been experiencing concerns, and please feel free to email me at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com if you would like me to investigate this concern further on your behalf.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Pyromaniac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

This is quite interesting because I have an aftermarket stereo system, but this happens to me. Not on bumps, but when my bass hits sometimes my right speaker will go in and out. The left speaker used to do it, and is actually quieter than the right one. However, I figured it was a connection problem with my aftermarket install. It very well could be, but if this is happening to a lot of 08s, it just might be that. Where is the factory amp located? I might have to check the connections there.

jeffc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyromaniac
    This is quite interesting because I have an aftermarket stereo system, but this happens to me. Not on bumps, but when my bass hits sometimes my right speaker will go in and out. The left speaker used to do it, and is actually quieter than the right one. However, I figured it was a connection problem with my aftermarket install. It very well could be, but if this is happening to a lot of 08s, it just might be that. Where is the factory amp located? I might have to check the connections there.
    The amp is in the trunk on the left behind the liner.

Pyromaniac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Thanks. I'll have to check it out. Hopefully that's the problem and not a problem with my install. If it's my install, my shop will have to take apart my car and check it out.

Surfstix is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 Coupe Premium & 2008 SRX4

I think it's great fixing it ourselves but GM just squirms out of their own issues.My 09 CTS right/drivers side speaker does the same thing cuts in and out and the cover rattles like mad.Perhaps Katie can pass this along.I'm so fed up I'm just calling GM for everything the dealer can't fix or reproduce on my CTS and my Wifes SRX no more Cadillac for me after these 2 are gone.They should have the nearest cadillac dealers on the navigation system the hell with restaurants and gas stations and we all think why did Caddy fall on it's butt years ago self explanatory.I really thought they thought this out this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfstix View Post
    I think it's great fixing it ourselves but GM just squirms out of their own issues.My 09 CTS right/drivers side speaker does the same thing cuts in and out and the cover rattles like mad.Perhaps Katie can pass this along.I'm so fed up I'm just calling GM for everything the dealer can't fix or reproduce on my CTS and my Wifes SRX no more Cadillac for me after these 2 are gone.They should have the nearest cadillac dealers on the navigation system the hell with restaurants and gas stations and we all think why did Caddy fall on it's butt years ago self explanatory.I really thought they thought this out this time.
    I can definitely pass this along, Surfstix. Thank you for your candidness. When you say you're "calling GM" do you mean you're calling our Customer Assistance hotline? Email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com if you ever want me to delve into your concerns further!

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Joe
    Joe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS blk/blk

Unplug the connectors from the amp and pack them with good old petroleum jelly and re install. In fact any connector that is subject to moisture can have this applied, wont hurt a thing. GOOD STUFF CHEAP!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.