Front Speaker cuts in and out - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Front Speaker cuts in and out in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Yes Katie Customer Assistance then if needed I start going up the ladder usually the 1st. call gets me a ...
    Surfstix is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 Coupe Premium & 2008 SRX4

Re: Front Speaker cuts in and out

Yes Katie Customer Assistance then if needed I start going up the ladder usually the 1st. call gets me a reference number for the issue and a call to the dealer to setup an appt. I used to just back down most of the time before this car, I just refuse to spend the money and not have the Manufacturer back their products any longer.

jkfcb01 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS
    Pyromaniac

I'd be interested to hear what you did for your aftermarket system...

Jason

tman19 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS 2012

Same issue on 2012 CTS, left side would cut out and or drop in volume considerably, when hitting bump. Took to dealership with no help, they initially were going to
    replace front speaker but then could not get to duplicate so gave up. Followed instructions above (amp was in same place for 2012 and very easy to access). It seems to have addressed issue. Thanks for help.

----------

Disconnected and reconnected and added electronic jelly.

DobisPR is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 Luxury

Same issue on my 2011 CTS4 Luxury. I will follow the same as tman19 and try out the disconnect + jelly + reconnect.

RAB
    RAB is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by tman19 View Post
    Same issue on 2012 CTS, left side would cut out and or drop in volume considerably, when hitting bump. Took to dealership with no help, they initially were going to
    replace front speaker but then could not get to duplicate so gave up. Followed instructions above (amp was in same place for 2012 and very easy to access). It seems to have addressed issue. Thanks for help.

----------

Disconnected and reconnected and added electronic jelly.
    ^ I'm not sure what the term "electronic jelly" actually represents (googling the term yields nil results), but the proper lubricant-corrosion inhibitor to use on electrical/electronic connectors is silicone dielectric grease. I don't support using petroleum grease/jelly (such as vaseline) due to its very low melting point - most brands liquefy at about 100 deg. F. Another issue is that petroleum jelly releases flammable vapor, even at low temperatures.
    /RAB

tinman is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Speaking of petroleum jelly, the inventor of Vaseline ate a spoonful every day of his long life.

I know you need to know this.
    RAB likes this.

dyalenti is offline Cadillac Owners Member

2010 CTS

I have the same problem, I've had it back to the dealer 5 times too. They replaced the speaker twice, changed the coax cable and the last time they said there was a short in the wiring which blew the speaker??? So they replace the wiring harness, replaced the speaker and guess what? 1hour later it did it again. I called them up and returning the car for repair. I'll let you know how it turns out!

----------

2010 CTS

I have the same problem, I've had it back to the dealer 5 times too. They replaced the speaker twice, changed the coax cable and the last time they said there was a short in the wiring which blew the speaker??? So they replace the wiring harness, replaced the speaker and guess what? 1hour later it did it again. I called them up and returning the car for repair. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Hi dyalenti,

I’m sorry that you are dealing with this speaker issue in your CTS and I can understand how frustrating the lack of a resolution could be. If you would like an additional layer of assistance while working with the dealership, please feel free to PM me with your VIN, mileage, dealership, and personal contact information. If not, please keep us updated on how the repairs go.

Enjoy your weekend,

Austin J.
    Cadillac Customer Care

HurstGN is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony

dyalenti,
    A speaker is a mechanical device. It has no power source on it's own. Shorting the leads of a speaker does nothing. It's equivalent to taking a piece of wire and forming it into a loop. Nothing happens. A short would affect the amp powering the speaker, but not the speaker itself, unless the short was to a direct DC source of sufficient amperage to damage the coil. But if that happened, a fuse should have blown on the circuit if the short was going to draw that many amps. Plus you should have noted other issues with the car and not just the speaker cutting out

dyalenti is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hi Austin J., thanks for offering help.

I finally took it upon myself to resolve the problem and I applied the procedure suggested here as to unplug the connections to the amp in the trunk and it has been working perfectly since.

I find it amazing that I can find the solution here and the dealer can't.

I've had two issues with the car, one with my radio and one with my seat and both solution were found here in a few minutes. I strongly suggested to change the seat's frame at the last visit (4th time) and they finally did. As for the radio, well........

dyalenti

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Hello dyalenti,

You are welcome. Thank you for providing an update for us and letting us know that you resolved the issue on your own. I do apologize for any inconvenience you encountered throughout the process of working with your dealer. If additional questions or concerns arise, please feel free to contact us via private message.

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.