An introduction and a vehicle request
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, An introduction and a vehicle request in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I figured I should probably introduce myself before I ask my first question. I work in the transportation industry primarily ...
    cb1111 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS Wagon

An introduction and a vehicle request

I figured I should probably introduce myself before I ask my first question.

I work in the transportation industry primarily on the legal/regulatory side. Over the last ten years, I've driven two Yukons, an Audi A6, an Audi S6, a GTI, an R32 and currently a 335ix.

My most reliable cars have been the S6 and the R32.

My least reliable - and the most fun to drive - is the BMW. in the last year, I've gone through two fuel pumps and a vanos solenoid. This engine has had an issue since the model intro in 2007 that they havent been able to fix.

It has never stranded me to date but I just got finished with a 1700 mild drive (in two days) and a few days afterwards I got a SES light accompanied bh longer than normal cranks - anindicator that the fuel pump isn't happy.

I've come to the conclusion that a reliable car, combined with a reasonable dealer experience is more important than bleeding edge technology.

So, my question:

How is the overall dealer experience? While there will obviously be extremes in both directions, is it safe to assume that most dealers are reasonable and willing to help? Are loaners generally available or are they a hassle to get.

For comparison, BMW dealers are generally considered bad and getting a loaner is often problematic - then it is often an Enterprise Kia or Nissan. For two solid months last year I drove a Mini loaner.

How is the reliability of the 2011 CTS and CTS wagon? From lurking and searching here I haven't found any serious issues that requires an immediate visit to the dealer or leaves people stranded.

Is the overall ownership experience pleasant or is it like the BMW - love the car when it is running, hate the dealer and the frequent visits.

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cbloveday is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: An introduction and a vehicle request

cb,

Personally, I have had very few problems with my V. I have held this car the longest of my last 3.

My last car was the 2007 BMW M6.

In regards to your dealership. I have always been given a great Cadillac loaner, current year with 2,000 miles or less.
    I have heard stories of othere who get loaners from National etc.

I guess it is something you need to discuss with the dealership before you buy.
    Make sure they understand this is important to you and it is something they need honor.

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

I do not want to comment on the CTS reliability as I have a very strong opinion. But I will comment on the dealer experience - it's been exceptional! I have always been treated with respect, always got a loaner (CTS or better), always been listened to. The fact that I still have the CTS GM owes to the dealership.

But others have had different experience. My understanding is the Cadillac has rise the bar for dealers, so shop around and I am pretty sure you will fine one that you will be happy with.

Thanks. That's validated what I'd heard.

housewolf is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS Sport Wagon

IME dealerships vary but not so much based on make.
    That said; my wife’s last car (before this CTS Wagon) was a MINI. The local (suburbs of large city) BMW dealership was literally like a Three Stooges episode. They could do nothing right, absolutely nothing. There were only a couple of minor warranty items that ever needed to be taken care of. In the process of taking care of them, they created a dozen other issues. They even managed to damage the interior before delivery when new! Right in front of my wife! I wouldn’t buy another car there if it were 50% off. – But she did always get a nice loaner.

We bought the wagon from a dealership in a nearby relatively small town. The car was “Certified Pre-Owned” with 2600 miles. I made it clear to the salesman I wasn’t interested in the car if it wasn’t “as new”. We were really looking for a new car but this car had the exact options we wanted and nothing we didn't want. There aren't exactly dozens of wagons to choose from even in a large city. After driving the car a couple of days my wife noticed a couple of items that weren’t “as new”, and we all probably expected that. I made arrangements to bring the car in on my next day off. I was greeted by my salesman and the service manager before I could open the door of the car. They took the car around the line that was developing at the service center and had me out of there in less than an hour. Everything was taken care of and they made sure I was satisfied before I left.

Should the need arise, I'll drive the extra thirty minutes to the dealership we bought the car for the service they offer.

The dealership (GMC/Buick) I bought the car & truck I drive is in the city. While they don’t have the down-home personalized service I found at the Cadillac dealership, they are very efficient and customer satisfaction oriented.
    Quote Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post

Is the overall ownership experience pleasant or is it like the BMW - love the car when it is running, hate the dealer and the frequent visits.

Thanks in advance.
    So, in my small sample, it’s night and day difference. If service is really that important to you, I would do a little research on the particular dealership you will be using for service. I didn’t, because after our experience with BMW, I felt confident in my ability to deal with anyone, no matter how difficult or incompetent they are to work with.

ByMW is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS coupe 6-speed

My experience is similar to the OP’s…drove BMW for 20+ years but the new 335Xi (perhaps the PERFECT car when new, under warranty and not in the shop) just became impossible to keep without a BMW dealership next door. They used to be fun to drive and fun to own – they are still fun to drive.
    So my choice of CTS coupe was based on the fact that I do indeed have a dealer next door. Even if the care is no more reliable than the Bimmer, at least I won’t lose an entire day to take it to the dealer 40 miles away. (And the CTS coupe was the only 2-door, manual transmission luxury car other than BMW that tickled my happy spot). I am hoping that the reliability will be better, since I ordered the car with zero electronic options. Is there such a thing as a bare-bones Cadillac?
    I guess the OP’s answer depends on his local dealer – the owner of my local dealer is actually my neighbor, and the dealership has always been friendly and professional. But we live in a small town – that helps.
    Perhaps this will help also: the CTS coupe is very similar to the recent 3 series in performance (power to weight, tire grip, brakes, etc.) The seats are not as comfortable. The stereo is better in the Cadi. Even though it has direct injection, the 3.6L engine is not as fragile as the otherwise spectacular turbo job in the Bimmer. Runs great on regular unleaded. I think the new CTS coupe is about where BMW was 8-9 years ago – hopefully that means better drivetrain reliability (I don’t mean it as an insult to GM). NOBODY engineers a suspension like BMW, but the CTS is still a very capable car, and fun to drive.
    Good luck with your decision.

mdscad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS Prem 3.6 DI-FE3 / RWD / Wht Dmd / Ebony Recaro Seats

My previous car was a 530i. Reliability has been slightly better for the Cadillac than it was in the bimmer, but overall both cars have been very dependable. The 530i had the N/A straight six, so fuel pump failures were not a problem.

Service at both dealerships has been excellent for me as well, but I am sure this will vary from dealer to dealer. At the BMW dealership I received 20% bmw/80% enterprise loaners. At the Caddy dealership it's been 100% enterprise. My Cadillac dealer has a nicer waiting area, and the Service Advisers come right out to the car to greet me rather than my leaving the car, finding them inside, and then waiting in line.

So really, after s little thought, I give a slight edge to Cadillac.

The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

I've leased CTSs from two Cadillac dealers here in the L.A. area in the last 39 months, Martin Cadillac in June 2008 West L.A. and more recently with Penske in Torrance. Both deals were very pleasurable compared to my past dealings with Mercedes and most others.

As for loaners, the last two times I've had my car in for service at Penske I was given a new-model DTS to drive (I do believe the "D" stands for Dreadnought -- made me appreciate my CTS all the more).

The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

Duplicate post -- please delete.

GMFAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Premium w/20" chrome

cb,
    I've had my Sport Wagon now closing in on the two year mark. I had a right rear tail light replace due to a slight gap at the top near the roof...other than that the car has been flawless. Had it serviced
    at two different Caddy dealers and they were both outstanding. Treated us like royalty, both wash the car even if it's in for just an oil change.

Until you actually take your car to your local dealer, it's difficult to determine how good their service dept. is and I realize your just trying to get a feel of Cadillac service for the members. It wouldn't hurt to visit your Caddy dealer(s) and hang around the service waiting area and talk to the customers...there's nothing better than getting the info directly from the 'horses' mouth. You'll also get good (or bad) feeling just looking around and seeing how the operation runs. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by GMFAN View Post
    cb,
    I've had my Sport Wagon now closing in on the two year mark. I had a right rear tail light replace due to a slight gap at the top near the roof...other than that the car has been flawless. Had it serviced
    at two different Caddy dealers and they were both outstanding. Treated us like royalty, both wash the car even if it's in for just an oil change.

Until you actually take your car to your local dealer, it's difficult to determine how good their service dept. is and I realize your just trying to get a feel of Cadillac service for the members. It wouldn't hurt to visit your Caddy dealer(s) and hang around the service waiting area and talk to the customers...there's nothing better than getting the info directly from the 'horses' mouth. You'll also get good (or bad) feeling just looking around and seeing how the operation runs. Good Luck
    Hanging out at the dealership is a great idea. I wouldn't have thought of that.

I'm amazed at how many people came from3 and 5 series. I can relate to the three stooges comment about the BMW dealerships

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

I'll give you my theory; there are two types of cars you can buy. The reliable kind, and the entertaining/interesting/fun kind.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    I'll give you my theory; there are two types of cars you can buy. The reliable kind, and the entertaining/interesting/fun kind.
    Unfortunately you are correct. There are a fun little cars like the Miata but there isn't anything luxury that's fun and reliable.

I've got to say that the BMW has been the most unreliable car I've ever owned. My 1985 Jaguar XJ12HE VdP was a zillion times more reliable and never had an unscheduled dealer visit. The BMWhas also been the most fun to drive.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

I have made my peace with the fact that my great handling, high horsepower cars are eventually going to break. It is the way of things, the way of the Force.

MotownPimp is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS Coupe Performance Stick

I've noted since I've been a regular here that references to cars owned, if not Caddy or at least American, run heavily to European; e.g. MB, BMW, etc. When I moved away from American cars in the early 90s I moved to Japan largely based on my experience with motorcycles and Consumer Report reviews showing Japanese vehicles being more reliable than US or Eropean and better values.

Being from Detroit, I had what I call the "Rice Grinder" mentality (noisey little cheap bikes from Japan). I spent the 60s & 70s on British (BSA & Trumps) and German (BMW) bikes. Then in 1981 I bought a Honda 900F based on what the cycle rags were saying. Within a year my idea of Japanese vehicles changed dramatically. The 900F did 140 MPH right out of the crate, ran like on a rail, felt rock solid, and never did (Gasp) leak a drop of oil. Plus as opposed to the "Prince of Darkness" Lucas electronics of British bikes, the electronics were never an issue.15 years and 60,000 miles later the same was true. Even the chain out performed the European bikes.

In 1990 I bought my first Japanese car, a Acura Legend. It replaced an Audi sedan that leaked, over heated, etc. The Acura was bullit proof...just like the 900F. But b-o-r-i-n-g. Then in 2002 I fell in love with the Nissan 350Z. Japan finally designed a car with sex appeal & performance. It too ran hard (160 MPH), cornered on a rail, and cruised effortlessly. When I gave it to my daughter in law this year the Z had 45,000 miles; it never leaked a drop of oil and never saw a service shop except for normal maintenance and tire repacement. It was maintained by the book & I doubt I spent a grand in 8 years...again, except for tires (same low milage summer performance tires the Caddy uses). As an aside, I prefer the steering in the Z to the Coupe; much more feedback.

My point is, perhaps if you can't find what you want in an American vehicle, consider looking east instead of west.
    Those former "rice grinder" folks are putting out some damn fine vehicles.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.