GM recomended gas - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, GM recomended gas in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Top Tier is pure B.S. It's a marketing ploy devised by several oil companies, nothing more. Any national brand and ...
    The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

Re: GM recomended gas

Top Tier is pure B.S. It's a marketing ploy devised by several oil companies, nothing more. Any national brand and most regional brands are equally good, and there is absolutely no credible evidence to the contrary. Don't get sucked in by advertising.

Richard MacGregor is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Got our CTS Sportwagon...it is a vote for the home team!

I'm not a scientist and don't profess to be one. I also don't see why I'd justify using cheaper gas in my car just to "save" $.03 a gallon. (I have a Costco card and also hate waiting 10 deep in line for the aforementioned 3 cents savings)

I used to use Techron additive but it dawned on me that: A) it was a pain buying it and installing it and B) it is easier to just buy the right stuff for peace of mind and have to do nothing. I have no reason to spring for that $$ Cadillac intake cleaning service because according to Top Tier Gasoline manufacturers, I don't need it.

This is like the motor oil argument.......I do not think that they are all the same either.

Choose your rationale,

Richard

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, new engine Nov '13 @ 44Kmi.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Judge View Post
    Top Tier is pure B.S. It's a marketing ploy devised by several oil companies, nothing more. Any national brand and most regional brands are equally good...
    C'mon...the performance standard for Top Tier gasoline was "devised" by 6 automakers BMW, GM, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen/Audi, and the product is now sold by 27 gasoline brands at retail locations throughout the U.S. and Canada.

Apparently gasoline retailers lacked incentive to incur added cost for undisclosed additives and testing beyond that required by EPA minimum industry standard. "We've felt for a long time that the minimum detergency level set by EPA was not adequate for many fuels on the market," Andrew Buczynsky, fuels engineer at General Motors. So along came automakers' higher performance standard Top Tier, offering participating retailers the incentive of competitive advantage/quality brand image; hopefully, for automakers and owners, the incentive of fewer warranty claims/out-of-warranty repairs related to engine deposits and stuck valves - and longer reliable engine performance.

I'm with Richard MacGregor, above, on this one.

somedaycts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS4

Quote Originally Posted by 928S View Post
    I'm with Richard MacGregor, above, on this one.
    The owner's manual on my previous GM car told me to use "Top Tier" fuel. I purchased the car at 26k and sold it about 5 years later with 160k miles. I didn't care where I filled up. I put Techron in about twice a year, typically mixed with two tanks of premium fuel to make a hotter burn. I never had problems with engine deposits or engine performance or stuck valves. Ever. I'll be doing the same with my CTS.

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, new engine Nov '13 @ 44Kmi.

Quote Originally Posted by somedaycts View Post
    ...I put Techron in about twice a year...
    Yep...Chevron Techron is reportedly the same as "GM Fuel System Treatment Plus," and that's GM's recommended alternative for those not using Top Tier gasoline.

You're right about the origin of the Top Tier concept -- like President Bush II, I "misremembered." It was the brainchild of several auto makers.

However, it remains that oil companies PAY to use the Top Tier label, and some simply refuse. That does not mean, however, that their gasoline is inferior in any way. Companies like Mobil use the same types and amounts of detergents as do the Top Tier brands.

Bottom line -- buy the least expensive national brand available, and don't waste money on labels. Where you buy gas is far more important -- avoid stations with old rusty, leaking tanks that may contaminate the fuel with water and dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by somedaycts View Post
    ... I put Techron in about twice a year, typically mixed with two tanks of premium fuel to make a hotter burn....
    Premium fuel doesn't "burn hotter." It's simply capable of being compressed to a greater degree without igniting. The octane rating is merely a measure the fuel's resistance to detonation -- that is, the higher the octane rating, the harder the gas is to ignite. The compression ratio of your engine determines what grade of gas is needed to prevent knocking.

Good discussion here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1825247

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

So how does one find out if a brand uses this "top-tier" gas? I use Speedway. Mostly because it's right on my commute (I refuse to go even a 1/2 mile out of my way to get gas) I think I generally pay 5 cents more than other gas stations near my house.

st4422 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Premium Black Ice, 2009 CTS DI Thunder Gray

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.