08 W / Bluetooth and Onstar Mylink App WORKING!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 08 W / Bluetooth and Onstar Mylink App WORKING! in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; All Right so I’ve done it. I Bought a 2011 Onstar Module from a CTS AWD w/Bluetooth and transplanted it ...
    dsteinmann is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Lux - 2008 CTS DI Luxury Performance II <-4 Sale

08 W / Bluetooth and Onstar Mylink App WORKING!

All Right so I’ve done it. I Bought a 2011 Onstar Module from a CTS AWD w/Bluetooth and transplanted it in my 03/08 RWD 2008 Pre Bluetooth CTS.
    Something’s to note the 11 Onstars (I believe across the entire GM line up)
    They only have 2 antenna connections 1 for Bluetooth and the other feeds both the Cell/data connection to onstar and the GPS They have a built in diplexer.

http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/2...on-issues.html
    I only did this mod for the Bluetooth but now I have a working Mylink App!
    So since I Have individual connections for the Cell and GPS antennas I only plugged in the thicker one the Cell antenna and I left the GPS one off. This works I Can call onstar. My Nav Radio has its own dedicated GPS Antenna. So the Only Down side is Onstar probably won’t be able to locate you with GPS they might be able to do it with the Cell towers?? But if you’re still conscious after an accident I guess you could tell them where you’re at. You could eliminate that whole issue by purchasing a 2011+ roof mount antenna.

A little side note on the Onstar install I Saw other people struggling with the nut that holds the VCIM down that just spins. Once I had it loose I just held the bolt up with my finger nails while I spun it off and after I Had the VCIM out of there I took a 10mm Nut and spun it back down to hold the bolt in place and then I just put the VCIM back in place and took another 10mm nut and tighted it on top of that same nut.

So once I had it in I tested the Bluetooth and It works great Numbers pop up on the Cluster with my EVO. I can voice dial pick up and reject call using the nav or the steering wheel buttons. I also double checked the Nav GPS and its working fine along with the XM.
    So Now I decided to call up onstar from inside the car and Get my free 3 months. But once I hit the button I knew it was never activated so she’s like congrats on your new CTS (Sweet now I just got a free 1year trial) So after that was done I set up the online part Downloaded the android app

Everything seems to be pulling the right info the only problem I have with it is the Remote start keys are not on my phone I’m not sure if the 11 had Remote start or not. I’m sure it’s probably just a Program issue with the VCIM so if anyone wants to help me out in the STL area with a tech2 let me know please. Also the Oil % monitor does not match the Car so I think this may correct its self once I change my oil/reset it.

I Tried running the VIN through compnine but I guess it’s too new to see if it had Remote start
    If someone could please run the VIN for me that would be awesome 1G6D5EY2B0112667
    Also everything else seems to still work fine in the Car I Have the EZkey’s my FOB RS still works. I saw some possible issue over in the Camaro Forums about their cruise control not working after pulling the VCIM. No Problems!

PS: My next project is the Rearview Camera so if someone could send me the files/Maps that would be awesome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

TeamZambo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 CTS FE2, Pearl 2010 ESV Plat

Re: 08 W / Bluetooth and Onstar Mylink App WORKING!

NICE!!!! Iv been wanting to get this done but no hope in finding a 2011 Onstar Module. Where did you get yours? Whats the part number?

cafpaf is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

As and aside, today I had the Bluetooth/OnStar antenna replaced in my 2998. I was shocked when I saw that the tech had to essentially disassemble the entire rear interior of the car. The entire seat had to come out as well and the package tray, and the two interior panels on either side above the seat. What a PITA. It took the tech slightly over and hour to accomplish.

Megathumper is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS-4 Luxury Sports

Great job with the upgrades...GM should offer this as an off the shelf upgrade!! Might help with selling ONSTAR services ...

Quote Originally Posted by TeamZambo View Post
    NICE!!!! Iv been wanting to get this done but no hope in finding a 2011 Onstar Module. Where did you get yours? Whats the part number?

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

fwiw, getting remote start activated has nothing to do with onstar. I think (I think) the onstar module will just look to see if it's present.

remote start can be activated in the BCM. At least it can be on the camaro. There is a guy here, GTPprix, who does programming, and he got it working for guys with Camaros who didn't get it from the factory. All they had to do was buy fobs with the remote start button and get them paired to the car. I would think the CTS would be similar.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    fwiw, getting remote start activated has nothing to do with onstar. I think (I think) the onstar module will just look to see if it's present.

remote start can be activated in the BCM. At least it can be on the camaro. There is a guy here, GTPprix, who does programming, and he got it working for guys with Camaros who didn't get it from the factory. All they had to do was buy fobs with the remote start button and get them paired to the car. I would think the CTS would be similar.
    I already have Factory remote start working with OEM FOBs - Just onstar doesnt see it wasnt sure if theres a option in the tech2 for programing VCIMs.

If someone could run that VIN then we should know if its compatible

Ok So I did a little checking out on my VIN using this GM Document
    http://service.gm.com/dealerworld/vi...2011%20car.pdf

And the donor 2011 Did not have remote start. So I guess I Just need to have the VCIM programmed to let it know that I Now have it.
    Anyone near St Louis with a Tech2??

lanceomni is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS 2008

I so want this done. Nice Job

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

fwiw, ABT electronics is now selling an onstar retrofit kit

http://www.abt.com/product/55423/Onstar-DQ2999.html

NRich is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade ESV

Where did you get the 2011 onstar module? I have 08 Escalade that I would love to have bluetooth AND Onstar/MyLink app working. But I can't find a 2011 vcim module. Did you go thru salvage yard?

Yes on ebay, I think it didnt even have any miles on it the car must have fallen off the transport truck or something (I got a free year of onstar)
    Still waiting to come across someone with a tech II to fix the Remote Start

If I could only get my hands on a 2011 module. That'll make me feel better about OnStar & GM. I just don't like there being functions available (with mod) that I don't have bc of something as simple as this to install. Right now on ebay I can only find new ones which don't appear to be 2011/gen 9.

TeamZambo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 CTS FE2, Pearl 2010 ESV Plat

I found this http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm...-22739392.html but it does not give any info on it.

Im trying the "Live Chat" option but the guy doesnt seem to know anything.

Ok so got 2011 module. After struggling to get old one out from those clips, install went smoothly. Bluetooth works great. Onstar is another story. Can call them with a button push (although the light is red) and they think I'm driving the donor car instead of my car. Could not get them to associate this module with my car. Tech said that the dealer installed the wrong hardware for my model year (yup, a 2011 VCIM in a 2008 car just doesn't compute to Onstar). The app is sorta working. It remote started my car but doesn't show any diagnostics. I am going to give this a few days to see if it all works itself out. If not, I'll call them back & try again. Would love Onstar to just work. Any other success stories out there?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.