08 W / Bluetooth and Onstar Mylink App WORKING! - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 08 W / Bluetooth and Onstar Mylink App WORKING! in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by Poopie D It's pretty easy. Take out glove compartment and remove and replace old unit... After the ...
    Wag-O-Neer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-4 Wagon Premium 3.6 w/FE2

Re: 08 W / Bluetooth and Onstar Mylink App WORKING!

Quote Originally Posted by Poopie D View Post
    It's pretty easy. Take out glove compartment and remove and replace old unit...
    After the install, should I hit the Onstar button and register with them, or should I wait and have my dealer do the programming? The unit I bought is supposedly a virgin VCIM, so I would think that it would need some programming to do anything, right? Hell, I wonder if the Onstar button will even work, since it's a brand new unit, and not a previously installed (and programmed) unit from a donor car.

If by chance I'm able to reach Onstar without any programming, what should my story be? I just bought the car used, and already registered with them, so now they're going to see it as a completely different unit, correct? I wish I understood more how this system worked. I'm just kinda going at this blind. Remember, my car already has working bluetooth, remote start (w/ keyfob) etc...., I'm really only looking for the MobileApp compatibility, since my 2010 isn't compatible.

Aww hell, who knows......

Poopie D is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V **sold**, 2009 CTS4

I highly doubt you will get the mylink working. If you do, it will be the dealer that programs it...and I hope you get exact details so I can tell my dealer how to do it.

Onstar will have no way to get it to work if the dealer doesn't do their part first. You can always try though...just hit the emergency onstar button (the blue won't work) then ask to be transferred to tech support as your button won't work. Then tell tech support that you had a new module installed and they need to update the software. They will try to send the software down and will more than likely tell you to bring the car into a dealer as they put the wrong module in. You have a 2010 so maybe it might work...but I doubt it!!!

I highly doubt you will get the mylink working. If you do, it will be the dealer that programs it...and I hope you get exact details so I can tell my dealer how to do it.

Onstar will have no way to get it to work if the dealer doesn't do their part first. You can always try though...just hit the emergency onstar button (the blue won't work) then ask to be transferred to tech support as your button won't work. Then tell tech support that you had a new module installed and they need to update the software. They will try to send the software down and will more than likely tell you to bring the car into a dealer as they put the wrong module in. You have a 2010 so maybe it might work...but I doubt it!!!
    But wait, you got the MyLink App to work correct? Well, except for the remote start stuff, right? I'm hoping that since I purchased the superceded VCIM from a 2011, that I get lucky. If it doesn't work, at least we'll all have a difinitive answer.

If nothing else, I can sell it to a member that wants to add Bluetooth to his/her car. We know it'll work for that.

Michael_atDell is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS 3.6L DI AWD
    Yep, he's patiently waiting...

;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_atDell View Post
    Yep, he's patiently waiting...

;-)
    Lol....yeah, you've got dibs.

BTW, here's the part that will probably be yours in the near future. The Bluetooth adapter is still wrapped. I pictured it next to the wagon, so you'd see that I'm not a scammer that's conjured some elaborate ploy to separate you from your cash.

Forgive the messy garage.

Gonna go ahead and swap out the VCIMs tomorrow, push the OnStar button and hope the world doesn't end. I'm curious to see what's gonna happen, or not happen. If there's no joy, I'll schedule something with the dealer to and have them attempt to program it. If all fails, I'll need your address, Michael.

I'm not the one that got the app working. Still hope you get yours running so you can share!

dsteinmann is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Lux - 2008 CTS DI Luxury Performance II <-4 Sale

I Did And It worked but it wasnt new. Im going to try and go to the dealer today to have them turn on my rearview camera, and im going to see if they will Add Remote Start to my VCIM That way it should pop up on my phone.

I'm not the one that got the app working. Still hope you get yours running so you can share!
    Oh right. For some reason, I thought you were the Original Poster......

Quote Originally Posted by dsteinmann View Post
    I Did And It worked but it wasnt new. Im going to try and go to the dealer today to have them turn on my rearview camera, and im going to see if they will Add Remote Start to my VCIM That way it should pop up on my phone.
    I hope I have similar results. It's awfully cold up here in DC today, but I'm gonna still try the swap today in my garage. Since the VCIM is a virgin, I kinda doubt anything will work, but we'll see.

Please let me know as soon as possible what results you get from the dealer today.

Update:

I swapped out the VCIM this afternoon. The install was easy enough, using the information found in this very thread. Only took me about an hour or so, and I needed very few tools. As the original poster stated, the new module only has two antenna connections, and the one coming out of my car has 3. So, I did what he did, and left the GPS cable unplugged. I buttoned it all back up, fired up the car and didn't receive any alarms, warnings, or smoke. Phew! So, first thing I did was the bluetooth pairing with my iPhone. All worked seamlessly, and without issue. I could place and receive calls, just like I could prior to the swap, so all good there. One small thing to note, is that with my original VCIM, my bluetooth paired up with "General Motors" and with the new VCIM it paired with "Your Vehicle". Not really anything to worry about, but I thought it noteworthy. It might be because the unit is a factory fresh virgin VCIM that has had zero programming done......yet. I say "yet" because it will certainly need that. That brings me to the next thing I tried, the OnStar button. I pushed the BLUE button that we all know and love, and nothing, nada, zippy. Uht oh, I thought...this will be a no-go. So, I tried the RED Onstar button and sure enough, I got connected to Onstar's emergency line. I asked to be transferred to tech support, and they did that without question. A tech support rep greeted me and told her that I swapped VCIMs, and needed to have this new one connected to my account. She informs me that it's not a problem and that she's going to put me on hold for 7-10 minutes while she programs the unit. I was informed that I'd hear a series of beeps, a telephone ringing, clicking etc..., but don't hang up, it's all part of the process. Well, about 5 minutes later she comes back on and states that she's unable to connect to the new VCIM. She mentioned that from her side, it appears that the dealership who installed it (HA!), didn't program it correctly and that it will need to go back to them for initial programming. I didn't offer any information to the contrary, and she offered to give me an additional 2 months free service to my already 3 months of free service, for my inconvenience. I thanked her, and she hung up.

Drove the car around for a while and everything seems right with the world. The keyfob remote start still works, NAV works as it should, XM works, bluetooth works, everything works except that little blue button. So, what have we learned? Well, it certainly appears that the model VCIM I purchased, which is a superceded part number from what the original poster purchased, is indeed compatible. We also learned that it will need some sort of initial dealer programming to allow Onstar to connect to the VCIM. We still don't know if this will give me what I want, which is the RemoteLink mobile app functionality that the 2011s get. So, I'll be scheduling an appointment with the dealer for them to attempt to get this thing working with the features I desire. If not, it's a simple swap back to the original one, and I'll be sending this one to Michael, if he still wants it. It will without doubt add the bluetooth functionality that he's looking for.

Will update....

general21 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cadillac cts 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Wag-O-Neer View Post
    Update:

I swapped out the VCIM this afternoon. The install was easy enough, using the information found in this very thread. Only took me about an hour or so, and I needed very few tools. As the original poster stated, the new module only has two antenna connections, and the one coming out of my car has 3. So, I did what he did, and left the GPS cable unplugged. I buttoned it all back up, fired up the car and didn't receive any alarms, warnings, or smoke. Phew! So, first thing I did was the bluetooth pairing with my iPhone. All worked seamlessly, and without issue. I could place and receive calls, just like I could prior to the swap, so all good there. One small thing to note, is that with my original VCIM, my bluetooth paired up with "General Motors" and with the new VCIM it paired with "Your Vehicle". Not really anything to worry about, but I thought it noteworthy. It might be because the unit is a factory fresh virgin VCIM that has had zero programming done......yet. I say "yet" because it will certainly need that. That brings me to the next thing I tried, the OnStar button. I pushed the BLUE button that we all know and love, and nothing, nada, zippy. Uht oh, I thought...this will be a no-go. So, I tried the RED Onstar button and sure enough, I got connected to Onstar's emergency line. I asked to be transferred to tech support, and they did that without question. A tech support rep greeted me and told her that I swapped VCIMs, and needed to have this new one connected to my account. She informs me that it's not a problem and that she's going to put me on hold for 7-10 minutes while she programs the unit. I was informed that I'd hear a series of beeps, a telephone ringing, clicking etc..., but don't hang up, it's all part of the process. Well, about 5 minutes later she comes back on and states that she's unable to connect to the new VCIM. She mentioned that from her side, it appears that the dealership who installed it (HA!), didn't program it correctly and that it will need to go back to them for initial programming. I didn't offer any information to the contrary, and she offered to give me an additional 2 months free service to my already 3 months of free service, for my inconvenience. I thanked her, and she hung up.

Drove the car around for a while and everything seems right with the world. The keyfob remote start still works, NAV works as it should, XM works, bluetooth works, everything works except that little blue button. So, what have we learned? Well, it certainly appears that the model VCIM I purchased, which is a superceded part number from what the original poster purchased, is indeed compatible. We also learned that it will need some sort of initial dealer programming to allow Onstar to connect to the VCIM. We still don't know if this will give me what I want, which is the RemoteLink mobile app functionality that the 2011s get. So, I'll be scheduling an appointment with the dealer for them to attempt to get this thing working with the features I desire. If not, it's a simple swap back to the original one, and I'll be sending this one to Michael, if he still wants it. It will without doubt add the bluetooth functionality that he's looking for.

Will update....
    i actually know about this 2 week ago when i asked poopie d how everthing was going. the same thing that just happen to you is what I've been dealing with for the past 2 weeks. but i didn't think about asking for the emergency tech support( smart idea ). I've been asking around and have gotten mix statement on bring it to the dealer, some said it worked but most said it didn't. so please let me know how it goes

Went down exactly as I said!!! Now...hopefully your dealer will have the answer to all our problems. If you can get it working, please ask for details from the tech to share with the rest of us!

Went down exactly as I said!!! Now...hopefully your dealer will have the answer to all our problems. If you can get it working, please ask for details from the tech to share with the rest of us!
    Yup. Your magic 8-ball hit the nail on the head.

Well, D-Day is here. Car is at the dealer getting some warranty work done and they've agreed to attempt VCIM coding. It's new territory for them, so there's plenty of unknowns. I'll doubt I'll have the car back before the weekend, so look for an update early next week.

Initial report coming in, is No Joy. This updated unit, as noted in prior posts, doesn't have 3 connections, but rather only 2....1 for the bluetooth module and 1 that is for a diplexed GPS/Cellular connection. I've left the GPS cable unplugged like the others, but the dealer is stating that without this connection, the unit cannot be programmed. They're looking into other solutions to see what can be done, if anything. I gotta tell you, the dealership, FitzGerald Auto in Frederick, MD. has been great about the whole thing. I've got a few cars, by a few different marquees, and so far, they rank right near the top. Well, the loaner they gave me leaves much to be desired, but that's not the service dept's fault.

Will update...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.