My 100 mile review, lots of irritations!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, My 100 mile review, lots of irritations! in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I just picked up my '11 CTS Coupe AWD Premium yesterday. Previous car was an 08 Lexus IS350 (before that- ...
    irfan is offline Cadillac Owners Member

My 100 mile review, lots of irritations!

I just picked up my '11 CTS Coupe AWD Premium yesterday. Previous car was an 08 Lexus IS350 (before that- 04 RX8,1999 Saab 9-5,1999 Mits Eclipse GS turbo'd)

This time I shopped between the 335xi Coupe, Saab 9-5 again, and a few others that fell out of the running. I took several test drives but they didnt expose many issues to me.

Things I love:
    --Remote Start (and the OnStar App)
    --Heated Steering Wheel
    --Appearance inside and out (Black on Black)
    --highway noise/lack of
    --turning radius

Things I like but could be better:
    --Ambient Lighting (but its not in the footwells)
    --intrument panel (wish it showed me ODO and temp and time at all times- even nav directions and radio like many other cars)
    --climate controls - the LCDs sit jsut a tiny bit too low but i like them, and the fact that not everything is thru a touchscreen
    --steering wheel - the glossy wood is very reflective. Feels nice, but can get sun right into my eyes.
    --Bose 5.1- Very good, better than expected, but not as good as the Mark Levinson i had in my IS350, but way better than the stock BMW or Saab systems. (didnt listen to the HK systems in those). Centerpoint sounds too echo-ey
    --Onstar. I called to have an address inputted, call took a full minute, and the address never made it to my car. Good concept, failure likely attributed to the fact that my car was activated just a couple hours prior.
    --Steering. i like the adaptive sensitivity, but when i punch it on the free way i can feel it stiffen up, i wish it was seamless, but its still cool.

Things that are so so:
    --Backup Camera. Not nearly as clear as my IS350 was. Also its off center and angled, and the top right corner is blocked by the camera casing. wish it had lines (moving ones better) but im used to the plain screen like the IS350 had.
    --push button exits
    --trunk size
    --handling. for a 4000+ lb car it does a fine job in the curves.

Things that kind of irritate me(stuff i can live with but still get aggravated with):
    --Nav screen wont go up or down just by hitting the Nav, info, etc buttons. Have to hit the Up/Down button first. If I hit "Nav" it should automatically raise the screen- whats the point of the prompt?. UNLESS: nav guidance was shown while screen was down... condensed to two lines and an arrow. The screen is capable of that, just isnt implemented.
    --radio info doesnt slide into the screen when i change stations or tracks while in Full map mode. in the IS, in nav screen mode if I hit the volume or track button a 1 line banner drops in to show what you picked. Very helpful In full Map mode. Currently if i change the station or track I have no idea of what im listening to unless im in split mode or audio mode.
    --Vertical AC vents, although cool looking... aim right into the steering wheel. Theres a reason every other Manufacturer uses center dash vents.
    --No sliding sunroof but I knew that going in
    --elongation through the back window. i can live with it, its expected, just not preferred.
    --tiny side view mirrors. I have them adjusted properly, just not enough viewing area. I also feel the Passenger Side mirror isnt convex enough.
    --trunk width. the battery takes up valuable space and cant fit my golf clubs without taking driver out. Silly since they fit in my old RX8 just fine.
    --Exhaust burns my legs on trunk use.. and you have to reach far to get to trunk to clear the deep and tall bumper.
    --stiff ride quality on pothole roads. I thought the all seasons and 4000 weight would ride a little smoother. The initially hit is hard, and the rebound is too much, starts to bounce and rock on bumpy roads my IS handled fine--gas mileage. averaging 20mpg in mixed driving. 4mpg less than the IS, 500 pounds heavier tho.
    --infotainment interface... why isnt the menu dial used a lot more? like spin it to zoom in?

Things that REALLY irritate me:
    --Nav screen hardly shows any street names, even in max zoom. I cant see the names of the next few streets even! its just stupid. I know i can hit the street button on the bottom and see the next street (very cool) but that doesnt help in a city where i need to know streets well in advance.
    --Nav Night mode isnt dark colors... just dimmer. No black/dark map mode? the screen in minimum brightness is way too bright with that yellow and green map. I have to lower the screen during night use since its too bright.
    --Chrome around the clock and dials and stalks... looks nice in the evening and overcast days like my test drive... today in the bright sun- wow that clock was blinding. and since they decided not to put a digital clock next to the temperature in the nav screen, or DIC, i HAVE to look at the blinding glare. even not looking at it i can see it in the corner of my eye.
    --center console cant even fit my sunglasses case
    --leg room width. i cant rest my right leg while cruising because the center console flares out so wide at my knee.

Things that seriously make me want to put my lease on Swap-a-Lease:
    --Seats. The worst ive sat in. on the test drive i shrugged it off thinking it just needed getting used to, and they would break in kind of fast. Reading the reviews, its common. They are insanely stiff and I just flat out cannot get comfortable. Stiff enough to cause aches and real pain going down my leg. My Lexus occasionally gave me the same issues just not as severe.. that car also had vented seats. Maybe there is a reason BMW doesnt put them in their sportier cars and holds off on them until you get to the REALLY pricey ones where they can afford to do it properly. Thigh length is way too short, and im not a tall guy. Im 5'9 165. My girlfriends $19,000 civic coupe has fantastic seats.
    --Bluetooth implementation. Call quality is great, but not being able to send contacts, and no incoming caller ID display is a deal breaker. I know it can do voice ID, but that is not nearly as instant as a quick pop up. I cant do a voice ID for every single contact.

All in all, im not thrilled. $629/mo all inclusive, first month up front only for a $50,500 vehicle isnt too bad. A day later im definitely regretting it, but without an overnight test drive id never have realized how some of these things really bother me. If I can get someone to take over the lease id be extremely tempted to let it go. Its a shame because the seats have been a big problem since they came out apparently and they havent been fixed. It has great styling, enough power, and tons of features, but damn they goofed on some things you'd think would be about as obvious as it gets!

we'll see where things go.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Liaury is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: My 100 mile review, lots of irritations!

Thanks for the input. Disappointing, but thanks.

Would be great if you can come back with a bit more driving time and let us know if anything has changed.

Loveldos is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillacs: '13 CTS Cpe, '01 SLS, '71 Eldo Conv

Thanks for the review. It might have helped some of your concerns if you could have gotten the 2012 CTS Coupe with the "Touring Package" (includes Recaro seating, darker wood trim and a few other features such as Blind Zone alert.) At least you still have the best looking car on the road!!!

I had considered the 12 with the touring, however that is not available with the AWD. I had the Dealer check, he pulled out the 2012 spec sheet and it showed just no touring available for the AWD. Sat in the Recaros in the V at the dealer, way nicer, love adjustable thigh bolsters!

snafu is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS DI AWD Luxury-Performance II ThunderGray/Titanium

Irfan,

I agree with Liaury, more time should be spent to form a opinion (IMHO).

"Flame suit on"
    Some of the items should have been determined from your test drive, did you take more than one test drive? Are you having buyers remorse? Can you return the car to the dealer (pay a penalty $$) and get out of lease? "Flame suit off"

My CTS (sport caddy) is nothing like my dads DTS (touring caddy).

Snafu

spind is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe AWD Premium
    I have 1000 km on my 2011 cts coupe awd premium. Have to agree that no storage for sunglasses is a pain( I keep mine in the rear cup holder since it's easy to reach) along with the nav not automatically raising the screen. Fuel economy not at all good, but at 1000km it is like a switch went off and every drive is returning better fuel economy. Traction on wet roads is fantastic. Can't wait for the break-in to be over so I can experience some upper RPMs

BMANN06 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08' CTS4, 02' Avalanche Z71, 09' Vibe, 05' R1

Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    My CTS (sport caddy) is nothing like my dads DTS (touring caddy).
    Interesting point, my grandfather has the DTS and you are right they are worlds apart!! He likes the look of my CTS but thinks its too tight (seating, suspension, roominess etc).

Gotta give it more time ... when on long trips I'm constantly adjusting my seat every few hours to remain comfortable. Find a "street/in town" seat set up you like get it programmed and start moving around when you get stiff on the longer trips. Isn't that the reason there are so many seating positions within luxury car seats??

Certainly having buyers remorse. Having my attorney look into getting out of the lease. If I have to eat the $629 I paid for 1st month up front i can manage that. its been just over 24 hours. If im stuck with it i'll ride it out a few months... still having issues then and i will put it on swapalease. i dont think i saw a single coupe on there. thanks for the tips. i end up adjusting the seats 3 times on a simple 16mile commute.

somedaycts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS4

I'm showing my girlfriend this post in the morning....and she thinks I'm a picky brother trucker!

snafu is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS DI AWD Luxury-Performance II ThunderGray/Titanium

Irfan,

Good luck to you to move your car (hopefully without to much out of pocket cash). Does the selling dealer have any other brands under the same ownership? I would start there as I would assume they would want to keep you as a customer (short term and for long term).

ladamas is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Lease (or fleece as Dave Ramsey calls it on his tv and radio shows) = perpetual car payments

David is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 3.6; 1992 Cadillac Allanté

My '10 CTS DOES have caller ID; the number shows in the DIC, not on the nav screen.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

I think you will that some of your irritations may lessen over time. I experienced this on my 2008 but by the time I got my 2010 some things were already accepted. I agree the seats are a major problem. I have never been comfortable in any one position for more than a few hours at a time and I constantly have to change the setting. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Quote Originally Posted by somedaycts View Post
    I'm showing my girlfriend this post in the morning....and she thinks I'm a picky brother trucker!
    its the dentist in me!

Quote Originally Posted by ladamas View Post
    Lease (or fleece as Dave Ramsey calls it on his tv and radio shows) = perpetual car payments
    I dont keep cars longer than a few years since I get tired of them, so id have perpetual car payments either way

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    My '10 CTS DOES have caller ID; the number shows in the DIC, not on the nav screen.
    The number shows in the DIC, but there is no way to associate and actual text name to the number. With a hundred contacts in my phone I cannot memorize them all. My girfriend and the office are the only ones i can actually remember. I lost my phone number memory when I got a cell phone 10 years ago

The Dealer has several brands, but no BMW or Audi. They have Lexus but I just got done with an IS350 and nothing else is appealing to me.

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

irfan,

you made a mistake getting the CTS. Certainly the CTS does have it share of problems, however what you describe are rather "features" or "characteristics". I would strongly advise get out of the lease as quickly as you can, cut the losses and get something that you will be happy with. Otherwise you will be unhappy for the reminder of the lease. And no, it will not grow on you. It will progressively get worse.
    Homerjay71 and Homerjay71 like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.