J55 Brake Pads
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, J55 Brake Pads in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Before we all jump up and down and say READ THE PAST THREADS, I have. My question is, of the ...
    Brooks is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

J55 Brake Pads

Before we all jump up and down and say READ THE PAST THREADS, I have. My question is, of the available J55 pads from EBC, Pep Boys, O'Rreilly's, etc. which ones appear to be the better value ? By value I mean cost versus performance and customer service. I know some of you have received pads that were not as advertised and totally wasted your time.
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

GrayGhost is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

Re: J55 Brake Pads

I purchased 'Wearever' brand ceramics from Advance Auto Parts online (fronts only). They've only been on a week, but no dust, no noise and very little loss of stopping power. I got them on sale for under $50 (reg $53.99). Very happy so far.

zen
    zen is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS CPE

Most of the ceramic pads are made by the same company in Canada. I bought mine from Pep Boys. "ProStop" #PR1331-C for about $70.00. I have them for about 5 months and no dust or squeel.

Front wheels only.

TeamZambo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 CTS FE2, Pearl 2010 ESV Plat

Are the J55 pads on the FE2 or FE3 package? Its time to replace mine and I cant recall what I ordered last time. All the sites im looking at just give the option of with or with out sport/perf pkg's.

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

On '08 & '09 CTS's, the J55 heavy-duty brake system came with the FE3 package as well as the FE2 package - but only if FE2 was combined with AWD on the vehicle.
    TeamZambo - if your '08 FE2 CTS doesn't have AWD, then your car has the standard brake system (RPO code JE5). To verify this you can check the RPO code sticker attached to the underside of your spare tire compartment cover.

Thanks, No not a AWD FE2. So what about when websites ask about the Sport and Performance Pkg? My car has every option and the RPO sticker is missing. For example - http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A3070A0A0.aspx they have a drop down for "submodel" with only 2 options 3.6 258hp or 3.6 304hp? They dont provide enough info to make the correct choice. Hawk brakes help even less with the drop down talks about the suspension option. Thanks for the help again, I just dont feel like paying the dealer 300+ for soemthing I can do.

RAB

TZ - okay, so you have a RWD FE2 CTS, therefore your car is equipped with the standard JE5 brake system, just as a base model '08 or '09 3.6L 258hp FE1 CTS would have. I have the same JE5 standard brake system on my '09 RWD DI FE2 CTS, and I find the brakes to be excellent. And no brake dust problem!

Since your RPO sticker is missing.. if you'd like to know all the RPO codes that went into building your car, along with the build/ship date of your vehicle, visit CompNine.com - http://www.compnine.com/vid.php - and enter your VIN in the search box. After some 15-20 seconds you'll be presented with a list of all RPO codes (and their descriptions) that went into the assembly of your vehicle, along with build date info and rarity stats. The only little glitch on the site (in the search result) is that it refers to your vehicle as a Deville rather than a CTS. Everything else is 100% accurate at the site - I've confirmed this by entering the VIN of several known vehicles, 3 of which I have owned.

The standard JE5 brake system on the CTS comes from the factory with ceramic brake pads front & rear.
    When you go to purchase brake pads online for your CTS, stick with the 3.6L 258hp engine / FE1 base suspension choice and you'll be fine for choosing the correct model brake pads for your JE5-equipped car.

Thank You Sir!!

TheShadow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS Black Raven/Ebony 3.6DI FE2 6-speed manual

Quote Originally Posted by RAB View Post
    On '08 & '09 CTS's, the J55 heavy-duty brake system came with the FE3 package as well as the FE2 package - but only if FE2 was combined with AWD on the vehicle.
    TeamZambo - if your '08 FE2 CTS doesn't have AWD, then your car has the standard brake system (RPO code JE5). To verify this you can check the RPO code sticker attached to the underside of your spare tire compartment cover.

RAB - one point on this- I have an FE2 with 6spd manual (which couldn't have AWD) that has J55 from the Y42 package

Y42
    18" (45.7 cm) All-Season Tire Performance Package - $1,740
    Projector beam lens Xenon bulb headlights; High pressure headlight cleaners; Front fog lights; Front and rear alloy wheels with 18 inch rim diam and 8.0 inch rim width; Front and rear all seasons tires with 235 mm tire width, 50% tire profile, V tire rating and black sidewall; Rear limited slip differential; Sport alternate suspension; Performance braking system; Auxiliary transmission cooler; Requires: [MX0] Transmission, 6-speed Automatic; Excludes: [Y43] 18" (45.7 cm) Summer Tire Performance Package

RAB

Shadow, that's interesting. Are you certain your car is configured with FE2 equipment.. and not FE3?

Per the (GM Canada) 2008 Cadillac CTS sales brochure...
    http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/2781...m-3-7-meg?da=y

PERFORMANCE PACKAGE (Y42/FE2)
    Includes performance-tuned suspension (FE2), limited-slip differential,
    18" x 8" with premium multi-coat painted aluminum wheels, P235/50R18 V-rated
    all-season tires, fog lights and Xenon High-Intensity Discharge (HID)
    headlights with adaptive forward lighting system and headlight washers,
    (performance braking system [J55] included with AWD automatic transmission only),
    (performance cooling system included with automatic transmission only).

SPORT PACKAGE (Y43/FE3)
    Includes performance handling suspension (FE3), automatic rear-level
    control, performance braking system [J55], speed-sensitive steering, limited-slip
    differential, 18" x 8" high-polished aluminum wheels, P235/55ZR18 Y-rated
    summer performance tires, fog lights and Xenon High-Intensity Discharge (HID)
    headlights with adaptive forward lighting system and headlight washers
    (performance cooling system included with automatic transmission only).

JoeEXT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS4

I am swapping out mine for the Carbotec pads. Is/has anyone swapped out their rotor's. Since I am doing the pads I started to look at new rotor's but not much out there for our car. Looked at Brembo, Bear, DBC but no luck.

Hmm, I seem to remember maybe an old discussion about how for GM Canada there may have been a "typo" for Y42 :-) I'll check the build codes tonight to see what it says again as you have me wondering now...

exm22psu is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS DI AWD Premium

I put the D3 Cadillac drilled slotted rotors on my 09 CTS with AWD and upgraded to the J55 brakes, calipers, etc in the process. The rotors have made a big difference in the feel of the brakes and look great ... no problems so far.

RAB - mind must be slipping - yes, RPO list says JE5 with FE2...

GrayGhost is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

Nearly two weeks and my front rims are still silver!!! Woohoo!!!

Now that I've had a chance to break them in (or should I say 'brake' them in) a bit since my rotors weren't turned (they were only driven a few hundred miles since new), I don't feel any loss of performance. I'm sure there is, but I don't feel it...absolutely no problems here. We'll see how they stand the test of time now.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.