Seat Belt Pilling Solved!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RAB
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Seat Belt Pilling Solved! in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Dont know if anyone else has this problem with their seat belt, I would think so, where the side of ...
    jghiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Sedan Lux Silver Coast

Seat Belt Pilling Solved!

Dont know if anyone else has this problem with their seat belt, I would think so, where the side of the belt 'pills' and has worn loose fabric from rubbing against the bracket when you pull the belt out to attach it. I dont think there is anyway to prevent this unless you put some sort of protective cover over belt.
    Wife had been looking for something to take care of 'pilling' on clothing and she found a 'Fabric Shaver' in Walgreens.
    I ran it along the one side of the belt wear it was chafing and it removed all the ugly loose 'pills' on the belt. Problem Solved!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BlGHUMMER is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS4 3.6 D.I. Hot Lava Edition

Re: Seat Belt Pilling Solved!

I noticed this on my CTS as well. I always seem to forget about it though. So it doesn't really bother me to much. I only notice it every once in awhile. I didn't even know there was a word or term for this. Thank you for teaching me a new word lol. I am sure of one thing though, everybody on here will be checking their seatbelts for 'pilling' after they read this thread!

just ask the better half about pilling

Helmutk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4, 1996 Eldorado ETC

Quote Originally Posted by jghiller View Post
    Dont know if anyone else has this problem with their seat belt, I would think so, where the side of the belt 'pills' and has worn loose fabric from rubbing against the bracket when you pull the belt out to attach it. I dont think there is anyway to prevent this unless you put some sort of protective cover over belt.
    Wife had been looking for something to take care of 'pilling' on clothing and she found a 'Fabric Shaver' in Walgreens.
    I ran it along the one side of the belt wear it was chafing and it removed all the ugly loose 'pills' on the belt. Problem Solved!
    Is that one of those mini fabric shavers that shaves the loose fabric fibers and captures the shavings? I have been meaning to do that to my pilling belt too.

Quote Originally Posted by helmutk View Post
    is that one of those mini fabric shavers that shaves the loose fabric fibers and captures the shavings? I have been meaning to do that to my pilling belt too.
    yup.

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by jghiller View Post
    In addition to 'pilling'.. seat belt fabric edge 'fraying' (particularly the driver's seat belt) is a problem on all or most '08 CTS's as well as early model-year build '09's. I had the driver's seat belt replaced (on warranty) on my '08 CTS4 for this very reason. Haven't had this issue at all on my late model-year build '09 CTS, so it appears GM eventually took care of the problem, one way or another. There may be a TSB on this.
    ncqd9x likes this.

Didnt see a TSB on it but if you got yours replaced under warranty, I may do the same. It had fraying on the edges from rubbing on the bracket housing as well. Will check TSBs again.

GrayGhost is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

Just had mine replaced under warranty earlier this week. I didn't need a TSB to reference...just showed them. Those out of warranty...I'm not sure if they'd fix it or not.

reciprocity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2009 CTS Premium (RWD w/3.6DI & FE2)

RAB: could you please post a picture of your later model seatbelt surround? I'm curious to know if there's really something different about the design or if it's just good luck that's kept yours from fraying along the front edge. If there's truly a difference in the surround, maybe the dealer would replace the piece that's causing the trouble at the same time they replace the belt. The plastic surround seems surprisingly sharp and must have been a design oversight.

I never realized how much I liked the "in the seat" belts of the first gen. CTS (and its seats in general) until after I'd bought my 09.

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    RAB: could you please post a picture of your later model seatbelt surround?
    reciprocity.. here are a couple of photos taken today of my later model (i.e. my late model-year build '09 car).
    The plastic surround edge is quite smooth, with a rounded edge where the belt fabric runs against. I seem to recall my previous '08 CTS4 had a slightly sharper edge on the surround.

Unfastened seatbelt hanging naturally from the B pillar:

Seatbelt pulled up to expose more of belt running surface/edge at surround:

Helmutk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4, 1996 Eldorado ETC

Quote Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
    Just had mine replaced under warranty earlier this week. I didn't need a TSB to reference...just showed them. Those out of warranty...I'm not sure if they'd fix it or not.
    They may repair/replace a seatbelt issue even if the car is out of warranty because of it being a potential safety issue. Of course one should ask first so there are no surprises.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.