6T70 Hydamatic Transmission
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 6T70 Hydamatic Transmission in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Here's one for you guys, The Mulroney sticker on the window of my car that listed the world content of ...
    Richard MacGregor is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Got our CTS Sportwagon...it is a vote for the home team!

6T70 Hydamatic Transmission

Here's one for you guys,

The Mulroney sticker on the window of my car that listed the world content of the parts, stated that the transmission was made in France. I reconned that it was a European Aisin but actually it seems to be a 6T70 made in Warren, Michigan.

Has anyone else more information on this subject that's you have unearthed? I like the way the transmission operates just fine, it is fairly smooth and quick. If I could change just one thing, I'd like to be able to hold it in 2nd gear for snowy conditions for short periods at stopped and slow speeds.

Thanks,

Richard

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: 6T70 Hydamatic Transmission

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

If your CTS wagon has the LF1 3.0L 270HP high feature V6, then your transmission model is 6L45 and was built at GMPT Strasbourg, France.

If your CTS wagon has the LLT 3.6L 304HP high feature V6, then your transmission model is 6L50 and was built at GMPT Strasbourg, France. (Other plant locations for the 6L50 are GMPT Ypsilanti, MI and Silao, Mexico).

FYI.. the 6L50 transmission in my 2009 CTS Sedan was built at GMPT Strasbourg, France.

For more information on your transmission (and engine) you can visit the GM Powertrain site.
    http://www.gmpowertrain.com/VehicleE...roduction.aspx

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

Richard
    you can do it. When stopped move the lever forward and you will see transmission switches to 2nd. I do it all the time getting out of my subdivision - very steep downhill drive after the stop sign. I stop, turn the tranny to manual, push lever so the tranny is in 2nd and press the gas. Car starts in 2nd and holds it all the way downhill.

Thanks Guys,

I see now RAB that the 6T70 is the STX combination automatic for AWD. I also saw other rear drive automatics but your link is an awesome one! So it is French it appears.

Mofex, when I started in Manual mode 2nd, it would downshift into 1st almost right away....perhaps it is a change in programming on a 2010? I will have to try it again when we have snow and I have my 4 snow tires on. Also, I had the traction control on which I have come to understand works against you in the ultra slippery times.

Richard

So we do have the french connections

Richard,
    I can stop at traffic lights, switch to manual, then engage 2nd and start moving. Even in summer time. Unless I florr it transmission will remain in 2nd. I like this feature.

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

A 6T(transverse)70 would be a front wheel drive transmission. The "L" designation would be used for longitudinal mounted trannys.

Yup,

A 6L50 French Transmission it is for sure. (I noticed that its cousin trans is a 6L45 used in the BMW 3 series for example)

http://www.modis.ispras.ru/wikipedia...smissions.html

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Richard MacGregor View Post
    ........I noticed that its cousin trans is a 6L45 used in the BMW 3 series for example.........
    http://www.modis.ispras.ru/wikipedia...smissions.html

Richard
    Yes, these transmissions have very good reputation. Several weeks ago I met with a GM transmission engineer who spent a year or two with BMW transferring knowledge and helping BMW to adopt these transmission to their cars. So we do have a world class tranny.

Mofex,

Earlier we had this discussion about manually holding the transmission back in a lower gear. You are right that it will do this in 2nd but here is EXACTLY what I want it to do: I shift it into the sport mode and select "2" from a standstill. I want to be able to start off in 2 for snowy traction reasons, and for reasons I don't comprehend, if I speed to 10 mph or so and slow to 5 mph, it downshifts to 1. I want it to start in 2 and stay in 2 not downshift. I have tried everything and I cannot mitigate this one.

Try it and tell me if you can duplicate this action. (traction control want to chop off all power when I spin, btw)

Thanks,

Richard

Richard
    the service manual says the downshift will occur when speed drops to 4 mph. Maybe this is what you are experiencing. But let me try this tomorrow or on Sunday.

Richard

I checked and it seems that the transmission downshifts from 2nd to 1st at approximately 4 - 5 mph. Similar to what you were experiencing.

Yes Mofex,

Too bad because when it is slippery out, it is neat to be able to stop and start many times with the car in 2nd. An idea would be a button to lock out the logic! I suppose GMs thought was that the car has traction control so.......................

Richard

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.