Cadillac Owners Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Class action suit for heated windshield washer malfunction

45K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  JimmyH 
#1 ·
One of the main reasons I purchased our CTS was for the safety of the heated washer fluid.

Now they have decided to rip it out and give me a token payment.

I don't accept that...I want a far better solution. Fix it or buy my car back.

Anyone care to join me in a class action suit? I'll pay the attorney fees!

doug
at
windsong.ws

#5 ·
Are you serious when you say that one of the main reasons that you purchased a CTS was for the heated washer fluid? I live in Vancouver and am quite use to frost on the windshield. I can say I used that feature twice. Is that not what the remote start is for? If you don't have that, warm up your car like most people do. No?

I can't see how it is a safety feature. By not having it are you going to drive around with frost on your windshield? I'd sure hope not. Sure it may be an inconvenience if you can't be bothered to warm up your car, but I'd hardly call it a safety issue. In fact, the real safety issue was the possibility of these things catching on fire - for someone so concerned with safety such as yourself you should be happy such a risk is no longer present in your car.

And buy the car back because they removed a feature? I'd like to know what planet you are living on? Have you discussed this with anyone in person? Did they also laugh at you?

Best of luck in litigation. I see you getting nowhere fast.

#6 ·
C'mon guys. It is a joke, or is it?

I would join a class action for something else - timing chains issue. What I want from GM is just power-train extended warranty let's say 10 years/140,000 miles. That would have a merit. But the washer fluid heater? No...............waste of time.....

#7 ·
So after the recall is done, it is easy to install the alphatherm heater? I thought I read they cut the plug off the wiring harness or something stupid like that. I told the dealer to not do the recall, but if I can get the thing re-installed easily then I would rather do that. Can someone elaborate on the re-install please? Thank you!

#8 ·
Read the previous threads on this. I bought the Alpha Therm unit and installed it in 15 minutes. Works like a charm. The only problem I had was my idiot dealer removed the mounting bracket! I had them order me a new one and put it back on, at no cost to me since that was not part of the recall. Alpha Therm sends new hoses with the unit. Couldn't be easier.

#15 ·
Anyone care to join me in a class action suit? I'll pay the attorney fees!
Frivolous lawsuits like this is one reason why stuff is so expensive. According to the Pacific Research Institute, a family of four has to pay $9,827 a year due to legal fees for companies that have to defend themselves. It is much different in Germany and other industrialized countries and their products are statistically safer than ours.

The problem is suddendeath9 won't pay the legal fees, the lawyers will settle with GM for a $20M payment for legal fees, and everyone in the suit gets a $5 off coupon on their next oil change. However, since this recall was done to correct a known deficiency (and not having heated washer fluid is not a deficiency), GM would win and the lawyers would agree to drop the case for a $7M in legal fees. The lawyers win either way, that is why these are so prevelant.

Anyway, this thread is a dead horse, sorry to stretch it out.

#17 ·
Just my two cents. What a huge waste of time and money this entire process would be. I had the recall performed a few months ago. Last week I ordered a replacement unit from Alpha Therm. For less than $75 including freight and a new fuse I got everything in a few days. Yesterday I did the installation. It took less than 20 minutes and I am ahead of the game by $25. Everyone can do the even an attorney who can't distinguish one end of a hammer from the other.

#20 ·
AlphaTherm is the company GM used for this component. The company declared bankruptcy at some point in between the first and second, or after the second recall related to these systems. After the second recall GM probably decided it was best to cut their losses and remove this feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.