Oil Life Monitor seems stuck
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Oil Life Monitor seems stuck in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I just bought the car almost 2 weeks ago. I have about 600 miles on it and the oil life ...
    somedaycts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS4

Oil Life Monitor seems stuck

I just bought the car almost 2 weeks ago. I have about 600 miles on it and the oil life monitor still reads 100%. This doesn't seem normal after reading posts about people having it drop to 99% after as little as 50 miles. Any thoughts? Also, when resetting the monitor, does the car beep to acknowledge you reset it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: Oil Life Monitor seems stuck

when you reset it it will go back to 100% ... that is the acknowledgement

i would contact your dealer of choice to ask them about this
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, new engine Nov '13 @ 44Kmi.

somedaycts,

My '08 CTS...ECM was reprogrammed per recall (timing chain, bulletin no. 10287) three weeks ago, and >300 miles later the OLM was still stuck at 100% (>30Kmi. oil change interval? lol); warm engine idle was elevated to 700-750 rpm from pre-recall 600-650 rpm, plus some weird tachometer action - e.g., drifting upward during deceleration absent tranny downshift. Car is now back in the dealer's shop.

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

I had the recall done as well. After that the OLM was stuck on 100% for 200+ miles. Went back to the dealer, no faults found. Still they "re-flashed" the ECU. Right now I have driven 200+ miles and the OLM is showing 100%! There is something weird going on. Anyway, I will wait a thousand or so miles and see what happens.

exm22psu is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS DI AWD Premium

Did the recall and same problem ... stuck at 100%

Wow! It seems the "fix" created another problem! I am really getting sick and tired. A simple task and already two visits to the dealer. And no resolution!

Now GM supporters, tell me it is my own fault....

caddad08 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS4 DI Hot Lava Edition PDZ AWD FE2

I had my car in on March 10th and the reflash was done. The dealer reset my OLM to 96% which is what it was when I took it in. Now at 551 miles since the reflash, my OLM is done to 85%. Based on the 11% drop over 551 miles it looks like the system will have me changing every 5000 miles as has been mentioned in other posts. My typical daily drive is about 25 miles round trip. Approximately 14miles on the highway and 11 on secondary roads.

I asked the dealer I purchased the car from to perform the timing chain bulletin/recall before I picked it up, so it sounds like I'm in the same boat as some of you. In the least I'm happy to see I'm not the only person with this issue. If anyone gets their OLM properly fixed, I'd like to know if the dealer had to do something special.

Just wanted to update, I think my OLM may be fixed. I followed the reset procedure outlined in the manual. As Chris (RippyPartsDept) mentioned, the only acknowledgment is that it goes back to 100%; since mine was stuck at 100%, there was nothing to indicate it had been reset. Since resetting, the OLM dropped to 99% after ~50 miles and now it's down to 98% after some longer highway driving.

well that's good news...

what has me puzzled is why the dealers who are doing the timing chain recall/reflash are leaving the OLM at 100% and aren't setting your OLM back to the percent that it was when you came in ...
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    well that's good news...

what has me puzzled is why the dealers who are doing the timing chain recall/reflash are leaving the OLM at 100% and aren't setting your OLM back to the percent that it was when you came in ...
    I can't speak for others, but in my case the car had just gone through CPO inspection, and I asked them to perform the bulletin prior to purchasing it, so my car was legitimately at 100%.

Interesting. I will reset my OLM today (is still showing 100%!) and see what happens.

ah well that makes sense ... i have heard of other people not getting their percentage reset back to what it was, although i would hope that those are just isolated incidents

When I went to have the ECU reprogram done my OLM was at 100% as I had just changed oil. So I thought all was OK when I got the car back and OLM was at 100%.

Richard MacGregor is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Got our CTS Sportwagon...it is a vote for the home team!

Guys and Ladies,

You have piqued my interest; I changed oil yesterday so I'll keep tabs on the monitor.

With all of your talk about oil life and timing chains. perhaps it's not prudent to drive too long on old motor oil. Someone here said that the "unofficial" Cadillac dealer opinion was 5 months or 5,000 miles, which seems reasonable.

I'd been doing Mobil 1 that I got from Costco using the Amsoil site ratings, this oil doesn't rate as well as many other competing GM spec 4718M approved motor oil brands. This change I used Valvoline Synpower and a AC Delco filter. It was last done 5K miles ago and before Christmas. At some point we need to start doing oil analysis on what we change out. One idea could be to steal some experiences from the Camaro forums where they use our same 3.6 motor. Doing testing really helps to be more scientific about wear and the enviroment.

Richard

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.