Cadillac Owners Forum banner

NU-CTS2 by PAC Audio or LockPick by Coastal Tech

34K views 101 replies 33 participants last post by  GrayGhost 
#1 ·
I understand this topic may be a bit :tisk: in the forum ... to be totally honest I want the DVD video unlocked so my Kid can watch her Dora the Explorer ... and because I cant seem to get enough dora during the evenings and weekends :banghead:...

Anyways, which is the better product? Figured this would be the place to ask as there are probably lots of users with both devices. Oh and btw, up here in Canada I could watch all the TV/DVD I want while driving down the road ... as long as its "handsfree" if that makes any sense :cookoo:.

Thanks ahead of time for your input.

#39 ·
Just to let eveyone know I placed an order with Tomm for the Lockpick unit and recieved a PAC NU-CTS2 unit. The VSS wire in the factory harness has to be cut for the PAC unit to work on 08-09 CTS models. Apparently the Lockpicks have been back ordered for last 3 months and are still out of stock.

It took me about an hour to install the unit including gathering the needed tools. I took my time removing the wood trim pieces with plastic pry bars as not to chip or break the wood. The install was very simple including splicing into the factory VSS wire. The directions with the unit were pretty good.

I ordered the unit late Friday night and received it on Tues. Tomm was great to deal with as I had a few questions and he was very helpful through everything.

Thanks Tomm!!

#42 ·
Is one unit better than the other? Do you have to cut/splice any wires on install with both units or just with the PAC unit? I am in no hurry to install so I don't mind to wait for a "possible" better unit. Can I be put on a wait list for the lockpick unit for when they arrive?

Thanks

#40 ·
All Coastal CTS Lockpicks are no longer available. The only solution for the next few months will be the PAC units which work well and we have them priced at the same price. The problem is the CTS & STS Lockpicks use the same unit but with different programming. No other vehicle besides these two vehicles use these lockpicks so they stopped production on them. In the past the GXM322, Gen-5 Etc. all shared the same platform but when they moved to the newer Gen-6 and GXM-522's they move to a new platform. The new platform is not backward compatible with the CTS & STS so unless they over produce the newer units they will not stop production on the new models to build some old units. They will not offer any ETA except to say that if sales slow on the new units after the summer they might do a production run on the older lockpicks.

#46 ·
I had ordered the lockpick from Tomm he was helpful adnd adressed my concerns when my unit had not arrived after getting stuck at customs :( (during the canadian mail strike)
I have now recieved my unit I was really hoping for the lockpick one but recieved the PAC on for the reasons above.
I had to cut one wire for this PAC unit to function correctly Due to the year of my cts early 08 (really simple anyway).
the one thing that I would really like to see on the pac is the ability to add the aftermarket bluetooth connnections (mute and audio in)
does anyone know if this is possible on the pac unit??

#47 ·
The original CTS Lockpick just added leads for the wires that were already there so yes you should still be able to add bluetooth if you wanted to. On a different note the original CTS Lockpick is now being scrapped and will not return. Coastal is however working on an all new CTS lockpick on their newer platform that is shared with the Gen 6 and will work on multiple other newer vehicles that they have not supported in the past. The new CTS Lockpick will be going into testing soon and will be available in the next 1-2 months if all goes well.

#49 ·
New CTS Lockpick is still in Testing. It will not be called a CTS LOckpick when its released sometime in November because it will be a multi-vehicle lockpick that will work will all GM 44 Pin new Navigation units. For right now the Pac unit is the only one available.

#51 ·
I will keep everyone informed. We plan to be the first dealer with the new product as we speak with Coastal a few times a week and the first question we always hound them on is where the new lockpick is.

#52 ·
New Lockpick for the CTS has been pushed to Q1 2012 now... Sorry I was originally told they would be here by now but they are not ready. Until the new CTS Lockpick is out all we can sell is the PAC units until then.

#53 ·
Sorry Everyone but Looks like a Coastal Q1 CTS Lockpick is probably not going to happen. I speak with them weekly but the product is still not ready. Pac Unit is still all we can provide for the CTS at this time.

#57 ·
I just installed the NU-CTS2 on my 2011 CTS (can't speak for the 2012, but I know the vast majority of sites describing or selling the NU-CTS2 didn't even say it worked with a 2011), and it works just fine for me! Only notable thing is, I have to follow their usage instructions for a "V", since I have a heated steering wheel button where they say a "SRC" button can be found to press to enable it. I use the up-arrow button for the power mirror.

#58 ·
Thanks Kingtj - Glad to hear it's working for you on your 2011. I called Tom at Best Radar Detectors (.net), and he referred me to the PAC manufacturer directly. I called PAC, and they said the PAC NU-CTS2 unit hadn't been tested yet with the 2012 CTS-V. The gentlemen I talked with said that there were no reports of the unit not working with a 2012 V, but that it hadn't been verified yet. I'm still hoping someone on this forum has done it and can verify before I order one to try...

#59 ·
BlackOnBlackV said:
Thanks Kingtj - Glad to hear it's working for you on your 2011. I called Tom at Best Radar Detectors (.net), and he referred me to the PAC manufacturer directly. I called PAC, and they said the PAC NU-CTS2 unit hadn't been tested yet with the 2012 CTS-V. The gentlemen I talked with said that there were no reports of the unit not working with a 2012 V, but that it hadn't been verified yet. I'm still hoping someone on this forum has done it and can verify before I order one to try...
U should tell him ull test it out & let them know if it works or not

#60 ·
If we had access to a 2012 we would test it but we don't. We also do not have the service manuals available for the 2012's yet but if the connector is the same there should be no issue.

#61 ·
Just an Update.. Spoke with Coastal Again about the CTS Lockpick they have been working on and now told maybe a few more months. So if you have a CTS I am sorry but the PAC unit is still all we can supply you still.

#62 ·
kingtj said:
I just installed the NU-CTS2 on my 2011 CTS (can't speak for the 2012, but I know the vast majority of sites describing or selling the NU-CTS2 didn't even say it worked with a 2011), and it works just fine for me! Only notable thing is, I have to follow their usage instructions for a "V", since I have a heated steering wheel button where they say a "SRC" button can be found to press to enable it. I use the up-arrow button for the power mirror.
Any tipvs on intsall

#64 ·
OK - I am going to ask a really dumb question - what does the lockpick do? I see that I can view video - could this be a way to get a rear view camera to work? What about other features? I have the NAV but I really haven't used it because I commute such a short distance, and use a rental car for long business trips. What is the enhancement to the NAV? I look at the website, but maybe I am confused or just thick?

#65 ·
sliderule01 said:
OK - I am going to ask a really dumb question - what does the lockpick do? I see that I can view video - could this be a way to get a rear view camera to work? What about other features? I have the NAV but I really haven't used it because I commute such a short distance, and use a rental car for long business trips. What is the enhancement to the NAV? I look at the website, but maybe I am confused or just thick?
It unlocks the nav so u can enter info while driving. Also let's u play DVDs while driving.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.