Cadillac Owners Forum banner

NU-CTS2 by PAC Audio or LockPick by Coastal Tech

34K views 101 replies 33 participants last post by  GrayGhost 
#1 ·
I understand this topic may be a bit :tisk: in the forum ... to be totally honest I want the DVD video unlocked so my Kid can watch her Dora the Explorer ... and because I cant seem to get enough dora during the evenings and weekends :banghead:...

Anyways, which is the better product? Figured this would be the place to ask as there are probably lots of users with both devices. Oh and btw, up here in Canada I could watch all the TV/DVD I want while driving down the road ... as long as its "handsfree" if that makes any sense :cookoo:.

Thanks ahead of time for your input.

#73 ·
Lockpicks do not change or modify anything in your vehicle. If you ever have a problem with your nav just disconnect it and they will never know. There wont be any warranty issues.

#78 ·
There are no video inputs on the PAC unit. If the CTS had a rear view camera option you can tap into the video in for the camera manually but the harder part would be trying to get your dealer to activate the rear view camera inputs on the navigation unit. To reprogram your radio you need a Tech II tool and dealers will charge anywhere from $60 to $130 to do this.

#79 ·
tomm said:
There are no video inputs on the PAC unit. If the CTS had a rear view camera option you can tap into the video in for the camera manually but the harder part would be trying to get your dealer to activate the rear view camera inputs on the navigation unit. To reprogram your radio you need a Tech II tool and dealers will charge anywhere from $60 to $130 to do this.
Tomm,

Any word on the new coastal CTS universal solution having a video input jack that can be activated by the steering wheel button.. If not, could you have them consider it. Tnx

#80 ·
The new CTS lockpick if released will have video input(s), There were some changes with many 2012 GM vehicles which causes compatibility issues with the new unreleased product so they are still working on it. They are working on one model that will work on different vehicles with different dip settings.

#85 ·
New Coastal CTS Lockpick is finally done and we will have pricing on Monday. It will be higher in price than the PAC Unit but the Coastal unit will be much better. Unlike the PAC unit there is NO wire splicing needed and is completely plug and play. Will also have multiple inputs (Pac Unit has none) I will post all the details tomorrow for those that have been waiting.

#86 · (Edited)
I am new to this board but have browsed heavily over the past week. I am likely to place a order for Pac unit soon. Based off what I have read here, the lockpick will allow you to play DVDs and utilize the navigation while the car is in motion but the device is not specifically designed to support video out from a smart phone as is.....correct? Does the PAC unit for a 2008 CTS have a video input at all? If so, would a device such as this http://www.skivatech.com/categories/av/mediaadapter/index.html work? It would be nice to stream netflix or slingbox home TV from my iphone. Sorry if already discussed, I have not seen reference to it in my reading here.

**Edit** I now see Tomm's post that a new Coastal unit is available but could not find one on his site for the CTS. Has anyone tested it with a iphone and video streaming?

#87 ·
We have the new Coastal Units in stock but we have not updated them on the site yet. If you go with the PAC Unit and you have a 2008-2009 it will require you to cut and splice a wire and the PAC units DO NOT have a direct video input. The new Coastal Unit does not require any cutting and it has 2 Video inputs.

#88 ·
Tomm, I am ready to purchase a lockpick. I have a 2010 CTS. I do not want to cut any wires, I do not need any additional video inputs, and I do not want watch DVDs while driving. I simply want to use the nav while the car is in motion. Would you recommend the PAC or Coastal Tech unit? Are your new Coastal Tech units ready for shipping? If so, what is the model number and what is the price? I am also interested in which is easier to use. I would prefer not to have to press a lot of setup buttons on the steering wheel to get it to work. Is it possible to have the unit active whenever the car is started? Thanks. Jim

#89 ·
When you say unlock the Navigation what exactly do you mean? Just unlock the menu's so that you can make changes to your navigation while in motion. If that is all you are after than the PAC unit would be the lower cost option at $199.95 shipped. We have not nailed down our pricing on the new Coastal unit which is why it has not been posted yet. Coastal has not nailed it down yet but based on what we paid on our initial shipment we received, the cost on the Coastal CTS Lockpick would be around $269 - $279 or so. Coastal is selling them for $319.95 right now. We do have them in stock and will try to get them on our site later today.

#91 ·
If you had a 2008 or 2009 I would definately tell you to get the Coastal Unit since you would have to Cut the VSS wire using the PAC unit in the early models. In any case I updated the site:

PAC NU-STS2
Coastal CTS Lockpick

We priced the new CTS Lockpick at $279.95 based on what they charged us on our initial shipment.

#93 ·
k as there are probably lots of users with both devices. Oh and btw, up here in Canada I could watch all the TV/DVD I want while driving down the road ... as long as its "handsfree" if tha
I understand this topic may be a bit :tisk: in the forum ... to be totally honest I want the DVD video unlocked so my Kid can watch her Dora the Explorer ... and because I cant seem to get enough dora during the evenings and weekends :banghead:...

Anyways, which is the better product? Figured this would be the place to ast makes any sense :cookoo:.

I have 2010 CTS Premium with factory nav without rear view camera. Can lock-pick camera plus something else from them allow me to install rear view camera?
http://www.coastaletech.com/LOCKPICK_CAMERAS.htm

Thanks ahead of time for your input.

#94 ·
I have sold a bunch of the new Coastal CTS Lockpicks. Did any of you guys try one yet? Curious how you like it and know if you have experienced any problems with it?

#95 ·
Tomm, can you detail the differences between the Coastal and PAC units? Is it just video inputs and wire cutting?

I have a 2012 V wagon.

Can you detail things like:

What does "accessing the onstar and Bluetooth" menus mean?
Beside from having the passenger use the navigation while driving, seeing the backup camera at any time, and playing a video while driving, which I don't plan to do b/c I did that once in my 2004 V and realize how distracting that is, what else can either of them do?
Do the separate units use the same buttons on steering wheel or door mirrors to control things or do you access features in a different way? It would be nice not to have to press a special button each time I want my wife to type in an address.

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.