2008 CTS Timing chain recall?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2008 CTS Timing chain recall? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Has anyone heard of a recall due to the timing chain on 2008 CTS? Im picking one up on saturday ...
    Dukeofbluz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

2008 CTS Timing chain recall?

Has anyone heard of a recall due to the timing chain on 2008 CTS?

Im picking one up on saturday that is having the timing chain replaced, the GM dealer said the recall went out on monday.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

caddad08 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS4 DI Hot Lava Edition PDZ AWD FE2

Re: 2008 CTS Timing chain recall?

Haven't heard about that yet. Several people on this site have experienced this problem

For what its worth, the CTS is not DI and has 58,000 miles on it.

snofun3 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS4

search for gawd sakes, search.........

Search for what? I did a search and found nothing about a recall.

ExtinctBird is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS AWD 3.6DI

I had my '08 in the shop yesterday, and they mentioned the recall. I had not heard of this recall before going in. Here is what the service order says:
    C 10287 Premature timing chain wear - Reprogram engine control module
    Cause: recall
    Completed recall 10287, programmed ECM

somedaycts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS4

Very interesting news, ExtinctBird, thanks for sharing. I Googled based on your results and found a copy of the full bulletin on EnclaveForum.net at this link: http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=7662.0 . Sounds like another "quiet recall" issued by GM as it is not appear to be a safety issue or mandated by the government. They had one for the ignition cylinder a few weeks back.

so by trying to help or gain information I get bitched at for not searching? Thank you ExtinctBird & somedaycts, I pick up my "new to me" 2008 CTS tomorrow and look forwarding to learning more and making new friends.

somedaycts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS4

You're welcome, and let us know how you like the new car!

I would ignore snofun3's comment, it's completely baseless. There is absolutely NOTHING in the 08+ CTS forum regarding this brand new recall. There's something in the SRX forum, but it doesn't mention anything about the CTS and I certainly wouldn't expect the average person to know certain model SRX's use the same engine as the CTS. I'm hoping to buy a "new to me" CTS by summer, and this has been one area of concern in looking for one. Thanks again for posting this .
    adman01 and adman01 like this.

Rahstyles is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): CTS

Ey so should i take in my 08 cts?

MoFex is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

This is a very interesting development. I had my timing chains replaced a couple of months ago. But the delaer did not mention recall and the work order only listed timing chains and guides if I am not mistaken.

Just wonder what the reporgraming accomplishes and how does it affect the engine performance.

It would appear from the link that this service bulletin is to reduce the replacement of timing chains that cause the engine light to come on by changing the parameters it takes to set off the check engine light and tell us to change the engine oil more often. ????? Seems like a way to reduce warranty costs for GM by not replacing the timing chains unless they break!

OneLapCoastie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DI FE3

Quote Originally Posted by caddad08 View Post
    It would appear from the link that this service bulletin is to reduce the replacement of timing chains that cause the engine light to come on by changing the parameters it takes to set off the check engine light and tell us to change the engine oil more often. ????? Seems like a way to reduce warranty costs for GM by not replacing the timing chains unless they break!
    This could be a quite reasonable and proper solution. To my knowledge, no one experiencing the problem to date has actually had a timing chain break. If the sensor/ecm tolerance is so tight that even normal stretching over time causes an engine code to throw (and subsequent "safe mode" initiation or other incorrect compensation actions by the ecm) regardless of actual mechanical impact on engine operation, then adjusting the parameters to reflect normal operation over time is the right thing to do.

I should hope GM is trying to reduce warranty costs across the board. It means they are paying attention to manufacturing processes, engineering and design issues, improving their products and looking to reduce costs for both GM and the consumer.
    samn and samn like this.

I understand your comments OneLapCoastie and hope that is indeed the case. Don't want to see people getting stranded if the chains do break down the road, no pun intended. GM should try to reduce warranty costs by improving their products. What they shouldn't do is reduce warranty costs by changing the acceptable parameters of the operations. And why would oil change levels have to be increased due to "normal" stretching? Wouldn't the engineers have figured that into the original equations and testing? I am by no means an engineer so I may be speaking incorrectly and if so, I am sorry.

MoFex is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

Quote Originally Posted by OneLapCoastie View Post
    This could be a quite reasonable and proper solution. To my knowledge, no one experiencing the problem to date has actually had a timing chain break. If the sensor/ecm tolerance is so tight that even normal stretching over time causes an engine code to throw (and subsequent "safe mode" initiation or other incorrect compensation actions by the ecm) regardless of actual mechanical impact on engine operation, then adjusting the parameters to reflect normal operation over time is the right thing to do.

I should hope GM is trying to reduce warranty costs across the board. It means they are paying attention to manufacturing processes, engineering and design issues, improving their products and looking to reduce costs for both GM and the consumer.
    Sorry but it seems to me as a cover up. As caddad08 said - you want to reduce cost - improve quality (engineering, manufacturing, design..). In this case unless somebody from GM can explain the details to the contrary I see it as a cover up. The secong generation CTS seems to suffer from at least there issues - vibrating steering wheels, drive shaft "drone" and timing chains. In all cases GM was quiet. I do not believe they found real solution for any of the issues. The TSB's issued were really making the issues "acceptable". I have no respect to GM. They need to learn to respect their customers.

"Customer satisfaction campain" - what an idiot in GM came up with this term? This is simply slap in the face of customers. Do they really think we are so stupid? I think they do.....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.