2008 CTS Timing chain recall? - Page 9
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2008 CTS Timing chain recall? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Mofex, unfortunately I picked up the car at 5:45 so the only service advisor still there didn't have any details. ...
    SpeedracerZ06 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS-4 DI FE2

Re: 2008 CTS Timing chain recall?

Mofex, unfortunately I picked up the car at 5:45 so the only service advisor still there didn't have any details. I didn't even get a copy of the paperwork that showed what had been done.

Breanne, Is there a way to send you the VIN number other than on the public message board? I don't see a way to send a private message on here. Thanks

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

you should be able to gain PM access/abilities very soon ... just keep posting ...
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

TheNardDog is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS DI Fully Loaded

About to take my 08 with almost 90K miles in for this today. No problems with the car at all though engine wise, seems to be driving beautifully. I have an extended warranty with this, but my vehicle before this was a Range Rover that I ended up dropping 5-8K when all was said and done extra into it for repairs....so really in my mind anything is better than that.

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

As I understand the manufact process, factory buys parts at lowest bid.
    1. Car factory buys umpteen thousand chains.
    2. Factory installs these.
    3. Customers experience problems with certain parts over the next few years.
    4. Car factory then tries to resolve issues.
    5. Supplier loses contract.

My thoughts and I may be simplistic and naive, but... I got one more post.

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

Quote Originally Posted by z06bigbird View Post
    As I understand the manufact process, factory buys parts at lowest bid.
    1. Car factory buys umpteen thousand chains.
    2. Factory installs these.
    3. Customers experience problems with certain parts over the next few years.
    4. Car factory then tries to resolve issues.
    5. Supplier loses contract.

My thoughts and I may be simplistic and naive, but... I got one more post.
    Your view may be simplistic but from what I have seen in many industries the purchasing department is the king. And they are assessed based on "savings"...short term savings. This unfortunately negatively impact the LCC (life cycle cost), not to mention consumers (for consumers products)......

JBsZ06 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS AWD FE2 DI 304hp

I just got the P008 code on my oct 2007 build 2008 CTS 3.6 DI.

Car runs fine and I've been ignoring the recall notice to have the vehicle's computer reset because I thought personally it sounds really stupid to shorten the oil change intervals as a solution?

That does not quite seem to me as a proper solution for a stretching timing chain. Sounds like we as consumers are getting hosed. I would feel a lot better if the drivetrain warranty as far as timing chains should be extended for 100,000 miles....otherwise replace the dam timing chain..

Otherwise the car runs great except tommorow is thanks giving and this is a pain in the @ss.. LOL Don't use the car is what Onstar said to me? I was like listen girlie...tommorow is thanksgiving and my other car is a vette..

Its not like the whole families fitting in there so this CTS can blow up for all I give a sh 1 T

P008 is missing a number - should be four digits after the P

the recall does shorten the oil change intervals but that's just part, the more important part is to recalibrate the tolerances for the chain stretching so the light will come on sooner than before to hopefully prevent catastrophic failure

ignore the warning signs at your own risk... it's your prerogative
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    P008 is missing a number - should be four digits after the P

the recall does shorten the oil change intervals but that's just part, the more important part is to recalibrate the tolerances for the chain stretching so the light will come on sooner than before to hopefully prevent catastrophic failure

ignore the warning signs at your own risk... it's your prerogative
    The night before thanksgiving and the light goes on? I'm sure I'm not the first person to wait until the dealer opens and someone can properly fix the vehicle...

I'd say I'm annoyed that the vehicle engine light came on this evening.

The sensors picked a hell of a time to chose to light up.

Shortening the oil intervals makes no sense to me. Thats pretty much because people are too stupid or too lazy to check the oil which I don't agree with.

Changing the sensors parameters to allow greater variance before the check engine light isn't that impressive to me either.

Fix problem not the cars ability to sense that one is coming..

GM should cough up the cash to replace the timing chain if in fact its stretching...

Altering th parameters to allow more chain stretch is not my personal favorite way to drive a vehicle.

As far as I'm concerned thats bullsh t..

Happy thanksgiving and if the car goes kaboom between now and when the dealer sees the vehicle......GM will pony up for a repair at no cost to me... I can assure you of that. And it will be done right..

One last fantastic item is that in the owners manual...it says....if this light comes on...then I need to double check the gas cap...and drive the car a week as it could just be a bad tank of gas.....or it could be some wires just happened to get wet ...and that when the dry off...the light could go off...

so according to the owners manual...since the check engine light that went off this evening...I have either a week or a tankful of gas to run empty before I'm being negligent.. if the light doesnt go out...

P0008 is only because I'm so annoyed with this car...I looked into this issue even further...

JB

One more thing...

I like the caddy but knowing that I'm out of drivetrain warranty in 10 months.. with a timing chain thats not up to spec to the point that GM wants to reprogram my computer to hide the issue until the vehicle is out of warranty really pisses me off.. (and I'm a big GM fan but this is really pissing me off)

If I had the option of buying a GM PP warranty right now I would with the problem being I'm a month past the allowable date....so basically 10 months warranty left on the drivetrain nonsense.
    If I don't get satisfaction with a drivetrain warranty extension or a timing chain replacment prior to the drivetrain warranty I' feel as if I need to sell this vehicle and move to a different brand...and thats after more than a quarter of a million dollars spent buying GM cars in the past decade or so.......

Nothing pisses me off more than being a big proponent of GM and suggesting GM vehicles to others and having to sell my vehicle because GM wants to change the parameters of the computer to keep the check engine light out as a bad batch of timing changes stretch to allow engine failures.. (or whatever they want to do) Just replace the timing chain to a part that doesn't stretch would make more sense to me as the owner of the vehicle....and it should be covered under an extended warranty..

33k miles and this nonsense should not be my concern...

I don't really want to explain this to others either..

UGH...

JB

33k miles and you should be under warranty and not have to be concerned at all - powertrain warranty is 6 years right?

and now that i'm thinking about it... is your car really involved in the timing chain PCM calibration recall?
    i thought that was for 2006-2007's ...

care to PM me your vin so I can look into this a bit for you?

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, new engine Nov '13 @ 44Kmi.

"Customer Satisfaction Program - Premature Timing Chain Wear - Reprogram ECM/OLM" recall includes all 2007-09 Cadillac CTS, SRX, STS equipped with a HFV6 engine.

Powertrain warranty is 5yr or 100Kmi, whichever comes first.

Thanks Chris. I appreciate your efforts. I shot my GM tech an email wednesday evening and he got back to me that he can take the car in next week. I'm trying to see if I can get a GMPP warranty for this vehicle and if I can. Then I will keep it as I planned to. Even if I buy a third vehicle (another cadillac but a V coupe either ATS V or CTS V) I was planning on keeping this CTS AWD sedan because its such a nice car.

Great vehicle otherwise as meets all my expectations. Thanks again.

sorry if I seemed a bit pissed...it was just the night before thanksgiving and I really didn't want to hear my better half and her family go on and on about how Japanese luxury or German luxury cars that they own are better built.

I'm sure you understand my concern. I just played it off as it was nothing to my wife and the inlaws were none the wiser...

I'm like the only person who admires american vehicles around here and I would hate to hear that the CTS Engine goes kabooeeee..

I'm sure it will be fine since the light just went on yesterday evening. I'll probably only put on 200 miles until it gets its service appointment and it really is running fine.

well i'm glad you're not totally disrought over this and it seems that cooler heads have prevailed

good luck getting it all sorted out

To have a thanksgiving dinner cancelled (because of a car) and having to tell your better half that you can't go to your
    in-laws because your Cadillac isn't working and hear that I should have bought either a Lexus or a BMW is not a good sound to hear.

FWIW..

I'm the only person in that family who believes or will even consider buying an American vehicle. I'm not kidding. There are literally families who adamantly will NEVER BUY AMERICAN VEHICLES..and this has been a 20 year discussion on why Mercedes or BMW's or Lexus are better vehicles to own...and To have to explain the nonsense that is going on with the car over Thanksgiving Dinner wasn't worth it to me.

Let the dam thing blow up on the way down... oh...and btw....i forgot to mention that I am considered very selfish because my personal car is not a four seater but rather a beautiful new 2 seat corvette....(which I just smile and laugh)

That cadillac was making the 40 mile drive back and forth with my family in car or it was going to blow up trying...The Valet was trying to tell me the check engine light was on and I just slipped him a few bucks as I always do and thanked him.

The holidays are stressful in general for so many of us.....I don't need a "don't drive the car light at all" coming on the night before Thanksgiving..

thanks for your help. The car will get repaired and hopefully this will be the end of it.

If the car would have been immobilized. It would have been replaced with a german or Japanese luxury vehicle. Too bad too because I really would have liked to add in a ATS V coupe or CTS V coupe..

Thankfully (In my opinion as I dig GM products) ....thats still on the table. The Cadillac did not let me down during the holidays so we're still good to go.

Thank you for your assistance. I hope you too had a nice holiday.

JB

rockhound66 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Black

OK, I've read till my eyes are about to bleed and haven't seen my question answered anywhere so here goes. I am planning on buying an 08 CTS 3.6L DI. The car fax report showed my car as being serviced at a Saturn dealership exclusively. The report shows that the timing chain was replaced at about 50K miles, June 2010, it has 73K now. So can I stop worrying about the chain, I.E. was a better chain used for replacement?
    Also it's a bit off topic but the fuel rails, injectors and coils were all replaced with less than 50K miles as well, this causes me some great concern, these are some major items and very expensive when the power-train warranty runs out. The dealer is fixing a dead power tilt column with a short and AC compressor that blew out now and it looks like a TPMS sensor is also on the blink.

Should I walk away?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.