2008 CTS Timing chain recall? - Page 8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2008 CTS Timing chain recall? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept very few engines have needed the camshaft shims I did last year - now I had ...
    jghiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Sedan Lux Silver Coast

Re: 2008 CTS Timing chain recall?

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    very few engines have needed the camshaft shims
    I did last year - now I had the ECM recall done out of the blue. I would not wish the grinding noise I had with my camshaft problem on anyone.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

there's tons of info on this forum about this recall/bulletin

at least 3 thengthy threads (and many other shorter ones) with lots of people complaining and speculating (sometimes wildly)
    might even be some threads in the first gen forum since it does affect 2007 vehicles also (i think)

as far as i know your OLM should have been set back to what it was when you came in for the recall ... might be something you could mention to the service manager
    "I read that this recall for my ECM/OLM was supposed to have my OLM percentage set back to where it was but when i got my car back i was 12% higher than when i came in. Was I misinformed or was there a mistake made? and if so, can it be corrected?"
    something like that
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Now that I know what the recall was - will be going back to discuss with service manager - maybe like check the timing chain? Getting ready for my routine trip up north and certainly dont want any surprises.

Rippy,
    After reading all the posts on the issue I suspect 'dealer error' for the setting of my OLM to 83%. If their doc says to set to OLM back to where it was, then this seems to be the only reason someone 'guessed' it was around 83% rather than setting it back to 71%. The reason I am coming into this issue late is that I never got a letter and some initial posts on the timing chain appeared to be from those with DI engines so I assumed issues didnt apply. Fortunately in my case I regularly change my oil early(dont think I was ever well below 50% and was done twice a year.)

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Dukeofbluz View Post
    so by trying to help or gain information I get bitched at for not searching? Thank you ExtinctBird & somedaycts, I pick up my "new to me" 2008 CTS tomorrow and look forwarding to learning more and making new friends.
    Life is tough, man. Try the BMW forums; those members would have crucified you. Caddy owners are just a little nicer, not much, man; but they are 10 times better the BMW people. Actually, Caddy people here are fantastic. A few of us irritate each other. On the other hand, be very careful of the words you use on the BMW forums. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by jghiller View Post
    Rippy,
    After reading all the posts on the issue I suspect 'dealer error' for the setting of my OLM to 83%. If their doc says to set to OLM back to where it was, then this seems to be the only reason someone 'guessed' it was around 83% rather than setting it back to 71%.
    that's the only reason it could be

when the recall/service is performed your OLM will be at 100% ... the tech is then supposed to go back in and set it back to whatever it was at... if they didn't write it down or don't remember it (or never looked) .... well then they'd have to guess
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Went back to dealer - service manager couldnt answer question although he never can - but checked with mechanic and sure enough, OLM should have been set back to 71% where it was and not 83%. I asked if the 71% was now 40+% if you use the new accelerated program and maybe I should change oil but he said no. So given oil color looks fine and is full, I will leave it as is for upcoming trip. He also said he does alot of timing chain work but its for those who wait for the DIC to tell them to change oil. That I believe, even though we're talking about CTS owners.

it's my opinion that most of the timing chain problems are due to people always running low on oil (not checking the level periodically between oil changes)

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    it's my opinion that most of the timing chain problems are due to people always running low on oil (not checking the level periodically between oil changes)
    And the emphasis is on "most".......there is no proof for that. In my case the cause was different. I still do not know what it was. In my personal opinion it was GM design.

yes... i try and couch my statements with words like 'opinion' and 'most'

i really get annoyed when people speak in absolute terms when they shouldn't

there was a bad batch of chains ... i think... that might have been what you experienced

i don't think it's design... it does seem similar to the northstar headgasket situation where there's a lot of unknowns and people jumping to conclusions about the causes without having enough data to make any kind of claims as to the root cause

remember, there's tons of 3.6L engines (in cadillacs and other gm vehicles around the globe) without oil loss/consumption problems or timing chain problems

SpeedracerZ06 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS-4 DI FE2

I had my second timing chain replaced on my 2008 CTS DI 3.6 engine 65K miles. The ECM reprogram was done when the second timing chain replacement. I'm concerned that when they do have to change the timing chains they aren't using beefier higher quality parts. The last thing I expected after the first timing chain replacement (around 32k miles) was that the replacement chains would fail another 33K miles later.

If the chain stretches (in my case anyway) at 2mm every 30K miles, I'm looking at a timing chain that will be stretched to 6mm at 150K miles. Any idea if this will be enough stretch to damage the engine? I'm worried that I'm going to have to replace the chain again out of my own pocket shortly after the 100K mile warranty expires. I beat on my Z06 at Lime Rock Park and other race tracks in the area and have never had any engine issues with it. It blows me away that I have had to replace the timing chains twice already in my daily driver that sees mostly highway miles.

SpeedracerZ06,

it sucks to say the least. My dealer indicated that the timing chain replacement out of warranty would cost apprx. $2,000. I had my timing chains replaced at 42,000 miles (or close to this number). I hoped that the new chains and ECU reprogram would take care of this problem. Obviously it did not in your case.

What dealer had to say? Any explanations why did it happen second time? Maybe some of the GM guys visiting this forum could throw some light on this one...

i do remember something about a bad batch of chains ... on top of the other issues like people who never check their oil level ... it made for an almost perfect storm

as far as we know the problem has been solved in the newer cars ... we haven't done any timing chain jobs in a while (so that should be a good sign, i guess)

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

SpeedracerZ06,
    If you would like to send me your name and VIN number I can check into this for you.
    Breanne
    Cadillac Customer Service

Breanne,
    thank you for your willingness to help. I think the most important bit of information you could provide in this case is what was the reason for timing chains failing in such a high rate and it the replacement and ECU reporgram solved the issue.

Thanks!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.