2008 CTS Timing chain recall? - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2008 CTS Timing chain recall? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by MoFex Not sure who can do oil change for $55. Yesterday I bought 6qt od PU (Pennzoil ...
    concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Re: 2008 CTS Timing chain recall?

Quote Originally Posted by MoFex View Post
    Not sure who can do oil change for $55. Yesterday I bought 6qt od PU (Pennzoil Ultra) and it cost me $52. Add the filter and it is $65 or so. And it is without labour!

Anyway, I have never ever owned a car that required changing oil every 3,000 miles. And never had any problems.
    My oil changes cost much less then 55. Just buy the oil when its on sale. Ive seen the 5L jug of Pennzoil Ultra go for $27...thats the cost to purchase it at Canadian Tire right now...

caddad08 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS4 DI Hot Lava Edition PDZ AWD FE2

Pennzoil Ultra 5qt. plus 1 qt/ at walmart $30 - $35 bucks everyday plus $10-$12 online for filter.

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

Unfortunately Walmarts here do not carry PU in 5qt jugs......

macnroxyscts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008cts4

for the drive line warranty do they ever require some kind of proof it was changed often?

Quote Originally Posted by macnroxyscts View Post
    for the drive line warranty do they ever require some kind of proof it was changed often?
    I am pretty sure they do. I keep maintenance record on my home server, all receipts scanned and a summary spreadsheet with mileage, dates and service description. All documents are linked but I still keep hard copies. Just in case.

When I had problems with my timing chains dealer replaced them without even asking for any proof of oil changes. They knew GM had and still has problem.

Got the recall letter form GM yesterday. It is signed by Jim Moloney, General Director – Customer $ Relationship Services.

At least now I know who the idiot in GM is who came up with the name “Customer Satisfaction Program”. Oh, and Jim if you feel offended you can sue me…..I have no respect to morons like you...

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by MoFex View Post
    Got the recall letter form GM yesterday. It is signed by Jim Moloney, General Director – Customer $ Relationship Services.

At least now I know who the idiot in GM is who came up with the name “Customer Satisfaction Program”. Oh, and Jim if you feel offended you can sue me…..I have no respect to morons like you...
    I haven't received a letter as yet, but technical notices, recall announcements, etc. usually take a little longer to emerge out of GM Canada versus GM USA. LOL! - it probably has something to do with having to 'translate' the original (english) 'wording' for GM's french-speaking customers up here. The translation of some of GM's euphemisms into other languages may not come easy! ha-ha.
    Customer Satisfaction Program indeed. It's 100% classic GM... creating a (brainstorming session-derived label) and putting a vague positive spin on something that should have been owned-up-to and properly explained way back when this very significant issue began to surface.

jpenn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Received mine in the mail today. It's not a recall, it's a notification that they will recalibrate the service engine light and the time in between engine oil changes in order to minimize problems with the timing chain. Take it for what it's worth.

Johnsnc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS

Just got mine in the mail today as well... I guess I will get back to the dealer at some point....

AJC165 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS DI. everything but nav.current mileage 11800 km.

i read the sevice notice last night ....it requires .4 of a hour to perform the re calibration....for what it's worth .....the cost to GM to replace the timing chains is $ 1108.57....so this fix is a real winner for GM. unfortunately we the owners are left not knowing what the actual end result will be if further issue's arise.

Quote Originally Posted by AJC165 View Post
    i read the sevice notice last night ....it requires .4 of a hour to perform the re calibration....for what it's worth .....the cost to GM to replace the timing chains is $ 1108.57....so this fix is a real winner for GM. unfortunately we the owners are left not knowing what the actual end result will be if further issue's arise.
    Actually we do, we will pay for that.....sad....

Helmutk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4, 1996 Eldorado ETC

Would be nice if they included at least one oil change for the inconvenience. I took mine in yesterday for the Cust Sat Program and they said that I need to pay for the oil change. Though it was my request since the oil life monitor still read 50% after 6K miles.

caddad08 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS4 DI Hot Lava Edition PDZ AWD FE2

I will get rid of my car once it nears the 100K mark so at least I won't have to pay for this problem if it occurs after the warranty expires..

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    How would they have known that the chain was stretched without the check engine light coming on? I don't know a way of measuring the chain's stretch without getting into the engine.
    Chris, the ECM evidently has a way to measure timing chain stretch "without getting into the engine". Similarly, I'm sure GM Engineering / GM Tech has a procedure to interrogate the ECM to ascertain the amount/extent of timing chain stretch in real-time.
    And now of course, the re-programming of the ECM (per 'Customer Satisfaction Program' Bulletin 10287) will permit a much greater amount of chain stretch to occur before throwing the Check Engine light.

My thoughts on this entire issue are:

1) I understand completely GM's thinking in their issuance of Bulletin 10287. Is has nothing to do with 'Customer Satisfaction' and everything to do with 'Cost Mitigation' for GM.

2) Warranty timing chain work on 2007-2009 HFV6 engines has cost GM a bundle. Changing ECM programming (i.e. upping the chain stretch threshold for when the Check Engine light is thrown) will have an immediate and huge downward effect on GM's further/future costs for this issue.

3) With a significantly increased amount of chain stretch now 'tolerated' by way of the re-programmed ECM, the point in time now at which the timing chain will become a show-stopping issue for many (the majority?) of owners of 2008-09 CTS's (i.e. problems of poor engine performance, engine misfire, timing chain breakage and potential for catastrophic engine damage) will more likely materialize shortly after the 5 year powertrain warranty expires. At that point in time of course the customer gets to pay the bill.

4) Further to item 3 above, to help ensure that the potential for a timing chain show-stopping issue is not made greater during the warranty period for reasons of a less-than-ideal oil condition (or an oil level that's less-than-ideal), the OLM parameters are revised to demand/encourage much more frequent oil changes.. at, of course, the cost of the customer (in the US).

5) GM's 2007-2009 HFV6 is found in the 2007-2009 GMC Acadia, Saturn Outlook, Cadillac CTS, Cadillac STS & Cadillac SRX as well as the 2009 Buick Enclave & Chevrolet Traverse. Only the Cadillac applications of GM's HFV6 engines get synthetic oil installed at the factory; all other non-Cadillac applications of the HFV6 engine get traditional mineral oil. With this in mind, it would appear that the use of synthetic oil in Cadillac applications provides nothing in the way of improved lubrication (vs. mineral oil) for the timing chain(s). It appears now that the OLM parameters in HFV6-equipped Cadillacs will more closely follow (duplicate?) the parameters set out for GM's non-Cadillac HFV6-equipped vehicles using mineral oil.

6) It appears, at least at this stage, that the re-design of GM's HFV6 engine (the 'LLT' and likely all other HFV6 engines) for model year 2010 effectively addressed the timing chain issue. I'm guessing the overall re-design involved quality improvements to the chain itself (manufacturing and/or material revisions), but more importantly, an improved system for the lubrication of the chain(s).

7) Anyone planning on keeping their 2008-09 CTS beyond GM's 5-year powertrain warranty period should give serious thought to purchasing an extended warranty.

8) The 'new GM' could have and should have handled this issue differently. They could have broken with the bad habits of the past and dispensed with the BS. Instead they continue to assume the majority of owners are idiots. It's pretty sad really.

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, new engine Nov '13 @ 44Kmi.

Excellent post, RAB, thanks.

I've not experienced the dreaded "check engine" light, but given the high probability of a future costly timing chain event I've already paid $1830 for GMPP Major Guard extended warranty.

Class action attorneys, are you reading/archiving this and other related threads?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.