2008 CTS Timing chain recall? - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2008 CTS Timing chain recall? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I got a recall notice. It is to reprogram the computer to tell you when you need an oil change. ...
    huntingbuddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

Re: 2008 CTS Timing chain recall?

I got a recall notice. It is to reprogram the computer to tell you when you need an oil change. It states that "under certain conditions the timing chanin could wear prematurely". So they are changing the oil change info. Not the timing chains.

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

I have never been condition on 3,000 miles oil change and never followed this “rule”. If you check most of the European car makers recommend 10,000 – 15,000 kms (roughly 6,000 – 9,000 miles). Nissan and Infiniti recommend 3,750 for severe conditions and 7,400 miles for normal driving. And this is with mineral oil! In my 30 years cars ownership, having own many cars from different manufacturers I have never had any problems with timing chains! The CTS is the first one. And this is despite almost of over-maintenance!

As I said before I do not have problem with recalibrating the chain “stretch” parameter however I do have with the OLM recalibration. And to name it “Customer Satisfaction Program” is just plain stupid and a snap in consumer face. I would like to meet with this idiot who came with this term…..Then maybe better not, what would I learn?

As for me – I am going to switch from Mobil1 to Pennzoil Ultra and change oil every 4,000 miles. Just to be on safe side.

The question I would ask now who is going to pay for the extra oil changes after OLM recalibration? I doubt GM will. Even though this is their fault. Looks like possible class action….

Quote Originally Posted by huntingbuddy View Post
    I got a recall notice. It is to reprogram the computer to tell you when you need an oil change. It states that "under certain conditions the timing chanin could wear prematurely". So they are changing the oil change info. Not the timing chains.
    It is funny how they worded it "under certain conditions" - what are the conditions?

macnroxyscts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008cts4

just got a bulletin too, so how often are the oil change lights coming on now for normal use? this reprogram will change it to what? just got a 08 cts4 with 30K and discovered my 6 banger costs $55.00 for a oil change which isn't bad if you can go awhile. first car i don't chnage every 3K miles?

Quote Originally Posted by macnroxyscts View Post
    just got a bulletin too, so how often are the oil change lights coming on now for normal use? this reprogram will change it to what? just got a 08 cts4 with 30K and discovered my 6 banger costs $55.00 for a oil change which isn't bad if you can go awhile. first car i don't chnage every 3K miles?
    Not sure who can do oil change for $55. Yesterday I bought 6qt od PU (Pennzoil Ultra) and it cost me $52. Add the filter and it is $65 or so. And it is without labour!

Anyway, I have never ever owned a car that required changing oil every 3,000 miles. And never had any problems.

Helmutk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4, 1996 Eldorado ETC

I just received my "Customer Satisfaction Program" letter for my '08 3.6DI AWD also. I definitely think the oil life monitor is currently too conservative so I do not have a problem with them changing the calculations to reduce the change interval. I went from 33K to 39K miles and the oil life monitor is still reading 52%. So if conditions stay the same that puts it at about 12K - 13K miles before an oil change. Even with synthetic oil I think this is too long.

caddad08 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS4 DI Hot Lava Edition PDZ AWD FE2

Just dropped off my car for service regarding the battery dying only 2 weeks after it was replaced under warranty. Even though I haven't received a letter, when the tech plugged in my VIN he told me there was an open warranty issue for the timing chain. I told him I was aware of that and that they would also reprogram the oil life monitoring system. He said - "you really have researched your vehicle!" - Thanks to you Cadillac Forums!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by caddad08 View Post
    .... He said - "you really have researched your vehicle!" - Thanks you Cadillac Forums!!!!
    Hey, we do have a few smart guys here, don't we

taa2022 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Hello All,
    I own a 2007 CTS V6. I received a letter over the weekend explaining that the timing chain could wear prematurely and cause the illumination of the Service Engine Soon light. Also, the timing chain wear can be affected by the age of the engine oil and driving conditions. Furthermore, "what they will do" is; change the calibration of the engine control module, including the engine oile life monitor (incorrect as I so hardly learned), which in most cases will reommend more frequent oil changes.

My issues....I took my car in for services as it was lagging in June 2009. I was told by the service manager that my timing change was "stretched," and will eventually break. However, they cannot replace it until it breaks....I explained to him that I drive alot of miles and all highway (high speeds), what will happens when this breaks. He explained to me what "could" happen and ever since I've been waiting for this to break - fortunately - it hasn't. Now I receive the letter stating the issues that could happened - I'm already aware and I've already been told my timing chain is "stretched." I spoke w/a representative via phone and said I'm already experience what you stated "what" may come in the future. She told me to contact my dealership and see when they can order the part. I contacted the dealer and they've told me they cannot replace the timing chain w/out the "check engine light" being on..... This doesn't seem right to me??

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

How would they have known that the chain was stretched without the check engine light coming on? I don't know a way of measuring the chain's stretch without getting into the engine.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

louiefl99 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe

My 2011 CTS Coupe 3.6L DI hit 5,125 miles at 2% oil life remaining and had the dealer change the oil. I spoke to a pretty knowledgeable technician that tells me the goal with the new software is to end up with about 6,000 miles at 0%. He was not sure why mine was a little sooner. Timing chain replacement keeps them rather busy, but he tells me that the engine is a non-interference engine, so a broken chain wouldn't cause a piston to hit a valve. He has not yet seen a broken chain.

If I owned a car covered under the recall, I'd be tempted to do nothing while under warranty - if I get a CEL under the old program it would result in a new timing chain as opposed to a a stretched chain and no light with the new software. I'd have the recall done prior to the notification period or warranty expiring. And also start changing the oil at around 50% (my '08 CTS would go to almost 13K miles if I let it).

For anyone with a 2011 under the no-cost maintenance, my dealer tells me to bring it in for oil changes at 30% or lower as that is the level where GM will reimburse them.

louiefl99
    this is a very interesting information. My chains were replaced at approximately 42,000 miles. Now I have close to 46,000 and am planning on oil change this week. I want to make sure the oil is not a factor.

As to why your OLM is showing 2% after 5,125 - remember mileage is not the only factor. The other are number of starts, temperature etc. Anyway, it confirms oil need to be changed at 5,000 miles or so intervals.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

the 3.6L engines ARE interference engines ... however that doesn't guarantee valve damage when a chain breaks

we have seen about 25% of the cars w/ broken chains not need any valve work

also, Mileage is not a factor at all in the OLM system - engine temp and RPM are the only variables (besides the type of engine since other variables in the algorithm are determined by the engine type)

if your 2011 was at 5,125 TOTAL miles and at 2% oil life remaining that would make sense since usually the first oil change is supposed to be done on a quicker schedule (but I thought that first oil change was dictated by mileage as per the owners manual)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

taa2022 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

When I took my car into the dealership in June of 09, I was having issues with it lagging, missing. When I took it in they drained the oil, etc. Then told me that the missing is due to the timing chain being "stretched." Regarding my earlier issue, the dealership said they would perform the recall but not the timing chain until the check engine light came on (which mine hasn't).

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by MoFex View Post
    Tony,
    I would go one step farther - I do not trust GM anymore. Period. There is just too many issues that are being covered up. As I said before "customer satisfaction campaign" - who could come up with name like this? Only people who think we are idiots. For me it is the last nail to the coffin. It is bye bye GM. I simply do not have time or desire to put up with all this bs...
    BMW is treating their customers the same way right now. I have 2 friends with fuel pump failures in x35i applications. In fact, one of their BMW's has been sitting for over a year waiting on warranty claims. This kind of treatment isnt a GM problem, its a big business pushing around the little guy problem. Look at Toyota and the 'soft' recall of the rusting frames in their pickups. I know someone who had his Tundra bought back by Toyota for MORE then market value, after 6 months of fighting to get a claim...yes, MORE. But yes, like other 'good' brands, GM continues to be unimpressive.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.