2008 CTS Timing chain recall? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2008 CTS Timing chain recall? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by caddad08 As good as synthetic oils are nowadays, it seems that extended drain intervals should be the ...
    GTA CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Re: 2008 CTS Timing chain recall?

Quote Originally Posted by caddad08 View Post
    As good as synthetic oils are nowadays, it seems that extended drain intervals should be the norm. My previous vehicle I used full synthetic instead of dino-oil and would run through the oil life monitor twice before changing. I just changed the filter and added enough to top it off at the first reset. After 3 years and 40K miles with no problems on a non-di 3.6 GM engine in my Pontiac I turned it in when my lease expired. The oil still looked like new when being changed and i normally went about 13K miles between changes. Can't really understand thew benefits of shortening oil change intervals on a car that requires synthetic oils.
    It's not the quality but quantity. Nobody checks engine oil levels anymore and these engines are going dry between oil changes.

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

Quote Originally Posted by GTA CTS View Post
    It's not the quality but quantity. Nobody checks engine oil levels anymore and these engines are going dry between oil changes.
    It is not true. I have changed oil more often then required and added oil when needed. Still I had problems with timing chains. I believe this is design problem. GM knows that and is trying to limit warranty cost hence the "customer satisfaction campaign" which really should be called "screw you customer"....sorry for the language...

oldrnslor is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 cts

I got my chain notice in a letter today. '08cts non di engine. In service date Jan. '08. That makes the power train warranty good till Jan. '13. Hmmm!

oneredcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 Red CTS Cadillac

I received my letter today. It looks like they want to change the engine control module so it will not give a "check engine " warning if the timing chain starts to wear. They will also make a change for more frequent oil changes. Who do they think they are kidding. No thanks.

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

Got my letter today for my 2009 3.6DI engine. (9880 miles)
    Quote:
    This notice is sent to inform you that GM is conducting a Customer Satisfaction Program that affects 2009 model year Cadillac CTS vehicles equipped with a V6 engine.
    Your vehicle was designed and built to meet GM's high standards for quality and reliability. However, we have determined that under certain driving conditions, and with extended oil change intervals, the timing chain could wear prematurely and cause the illumination of the Service Engine Soon light. Timing chain wear can be affected by the age of the engine oil and driving conditions.

What We Will Do:
    To ensure that your vehicle will not experience this condition, your Cadillac dealer will change the calibration of the engine control module, including the engine oil life monitor, which in most cases will recommend more frequent oil changes. This service will be performed for you at [B]no charge until February 28, 2013.

What You Should Do: To limit any possible inconvenience, we recommend that you contact your Cadillac dealer as soon as possible to schedule an appointment for this repair.

If you have any questions or need any assistance, just contact your dealer or the Cadillac Customer Assistance Center at 1.866.982.2339

We sincerely regret any inconvenience or concern that this situation may cause you. We want you to know that we will do our best, throughout your ownership experience, to ensure that your Cadillac CTS provides you with many miles of enjoyable driving.

Jim Moloney
    General Director - Customer & Relationship Services

This appears that model year 2009 V6's also have a problem. The thing that bothers me is that they want to recalibrate the engine control module. What for, to reduce HP & TQ so the chain will be under less stress?
    I wonder if anyone who has had this done has run a before and after dyno to see if this could occur.

caddad08 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS4 DI Hot Lava Edition PDZ AWD FE2

As has been discussed, GM will have the dealer make a software change that will prevent the check engine light from illuminating unless the wear is much greater than was previously determined as acceptable by the engineers when the engine was initially designed. Also the oil life monitor will be recalibrated to "recommend" oil changes on a more frequent, i.e., lower mileage basis. It does not change the "stress" on the chain, only at what condition it will throw a CEL

TheShadow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS Black Raven/Ebony 3.6DI FE2 6-speed manual

Received the notice 2 days after having a timing chain replaced diagnosed after a check engine light - note on work order is timing chain 2mm out of alignment. Recall reset was done as well :-)

2008 3.6DI...

TeamZambo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 CTS FE2, Pearl 2010 ESV Plat

I had this done and I feel the car has become a bit more tourqy(car kicks out with less throtl). I have always drivin this car like it was stolen (in sport mode). I raced a my neighbor in his 350z(6spd), and won by a nose. After getting this done I was on him at over a car lngth. I tought this kid how to drive and race. I even trusted him to use my stang(546RWHP) to win us some money at the track so i know he can drive drive.

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

What I would like to see is GM extends power train warranty to 120,000 miles/10 years. Or at least warranty for timing chains. I bet they are not going to do it.

In my books we are screwed by GM. Is this how the "new" GM operates or are this remains of the "old" GM?

infineon954 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 White Diamond CTS 4

So, I just bought my brand new used 08' CTS4 yesterday. My engine is the Direct Injection...from what I read the recall does not include this motor or am I wrong and/or blind?

ncscons is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS 3.6 AWD

Infineon, I have the same car and got the letter from GM today. Can't remember the exact build date of my car but I remember just barely missing the bluetooth onstar module. You'll probably get the letter shortly or odds are you can just take the car into a GM dealer and have the fix done.

brothleutner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 4

Not to bust to many balls here, but I'm why is everyone so pissed? At least GM acknowledges there is a problem. Anybody here an engineer? Anybody do any testing on these chains themselves? I'll use Toyota as an example. Everybody was sure they had an accelerator problem, they said it was floor mats, all doubted them, they were correct. Why complain about changing your oil a little sooner? For all the other things we do to our cars to make them last longer, changing the oil at say, 8,000 miles instead of 9 or 10,000 is not killing anyone. Also if you do any research on roller chains, the amount they have had fail is unheard of. The reason you use chains instead of belts is longevity and reliability. I'm not an engineer, but 2mm of stretch seems like they set the bar to high in the first place.

I do have my own theory about poor circulation, but that's all it is, a theory, and if I was correct, changing the oil sooner would actually help that problem.

I'm sure GM did their research, and I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. This is a company on the brink still, acting idiotic is not in their best interest. Yes, the government still owns a huge chunk, but this is not the post office, even if you want to go all conspiracy, the government needs the union happy, and getting GM shut down would sure piss off the UAW.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roller_chain

This link, even though it is wikipedia, has some great info. Towards the bottom it talks about causes of failure.

GTA CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

The new calibration pretty much shuts off the light. Chains can now be heard rattling away on accel and decel without any check engine light. In most cases the oil level has been very low at some point.

lordbaby is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS DI FE3 PDQ Crystal Red/Ebony

not cool

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Quote Originally Posted by brothleutner View Post
    Not to bust to many balls here, but I'm why is everyone so pissed? At least GM acknowledges there is a problem. Anybody here an engineer? Anybody do any testing on these chains themselves? I'll use Toyota as an example. Everybody was sure they had an accelerator problem, they said it was floor mats, all doubted them, they were correct. Why complain about changing your oil a little sooner? For all the other things we do to our cars to make them last longer, changing the oil at say, 8,000 miles instead of 9 or 10,000 is not killing anyone. Also if you do any research on roller chains, the amount they have had fail is unheard of. The reason you use chains instead of belts is longevity and reliability. I'm not an engineer, but 2mm of stretch seems like they set the bar to high in the first place.

I do have my own theory about poor circulation, but that's all it is, a theory, and if I was correct, changing the oil sooner would actually help that problem.

I'm sure GM did their research, and I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. This is a company on the brink still, acting idiotic is not in their best interest. Yes, the government still owns a huge chunk, but this is not the post office, even if you want to go all conspiracy, the government needs the union happy, and getting GM shut down would sure piss off the UAW.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roller_chain

This link, even though it is wikipedia, has some great info. Towards the bottom it talks about causes of failure.

where were you in the other long threads about this?
    one guy was claiming that the ECM recalibration was going to 'detune' his motor!
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.