2008 CTS Timing chain recall? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2008 CTS Timing chain recall? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by MoFex Sorry but it seems to me as a cover up. As caddad08 said - you want ...
    RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Re: 2008 CTS Timing chain recall?

Quote Originally Posted by MoFex View Post
    Sorry but it seems to me as a cover up. As caddad08 said - you want to reduce cost - improve quality (engineering, manufacturing, design..). In this case unless somebody from GM can explain the details to the contrary I see it as a cover up. The secong generation CTS seems to suffer from at least there issues - vibrating steering wheels, drive shaft "drone" and timing chains. In all cases GM was quiet. I do not believe they found real solution for any of the issues. The TSB's issued were really making the issues "acceptable". I have no respect to GM. They need to learn to respect their customers.

"Customer satisfaction campain" - what an idiot in GM came up with this term? This is simply slap in the face of customers. Do they really think we are so stupid? I think they do.....

tonyfort is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Former owner 2008 CTS

From the wording of the recall, this casts serious doubt to the reliability of the oil life monitoring system (at least before the recall is performed, but I doubt I'd trust it after anyway)...

MoFex is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

Quote Originally Posted by tonyfort View Post
    From the wording of the recall, this casts serious doubt to the reliability of the oil life monitoring system (at least before the recall is performed, but I doubt I'd trust it after anyway)...
    Tony,
    I would go one step farther - I do not trust GM anymore. Period. There is just too many issues that are being covered up. As I said before "customer satisfaction campaign" - who could come up with name like this? Only people who think we are idiots. For me it is the last nail to the coffin. It is bye bye GM. I simply do not have time or desire to put up with all this bs...

caddad08 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS4 DI Hot Lava Edition PDZ AWD FE2

As good as synthetic oils are nowadays, it seems that extended drain intervals should be the norm. My previous vehicle I used full synthetic instead of dino-oil and would run through the oil life monitor twice before changing. I just changed the filter and added enough to top it off at the first reset. After 3 years and 40K miles with no problems on a non-di 3.6 GM engine in my Pontiac I turned it in when my lease expired. The oil still looked like new when being changed and i normally went about 13K miles between changes. Can't really understand thew benefits of shortening oil change intervals on a car that requires synthetic oils.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

I would venture to guess that GM examined many of the timing chains replaced and discovered they were still serviceable but due to the ECM parameters it called for a CEL when in reality one was not necessary. Correcting the parameters and calling for more frequent oil changes should extend the useful life of the timing chains. If my memory serves me right, I don't recall anyone on our forum reporting an actual broken timing chain, just replacements due to the CEL warning.
    The "Customer satisfaction campaign" has been around for ever. It most frequently applies to items done to satisfy a customer that may not necessarily fight under a specific warranty repair. I had a shifter replaced on an earlier CTS under this program. I wasn't happy with the one I had, the dealer knew something wasn't right but couldn't isolate the problem to justify a replacement. Due to the number of cars I purchased there, they replaced it under the heading of Customer satisfaction program and listed the part and labor.
    I think it also applies to any non-safety related recall.
    Whatever it is called at least GM is doing something, even if their bottom line forced them into it.

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013

Hmm...my local Cadillac dealer might be smarter than I had imagined.

Dealer has always wanted to change oil & filter every 6 mos. regardless of my low mileage (~7.5Kmi/yr), but I always declined based on Owner's Manual rec (OLM or 12 mos., whichever comes first). And when changed annually, my motor oil is always overfilled to the top of dipstick hash marks. Probably a good thing, given the (now well-documented) timing chain issue and the fact that my 3.6L DI burns oil.

So...timing chains stretch, engine oil burns, and GM/Cadillac sucks.

louiefl99 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe

My '11 CTS Coupe has about 4500 miles and 15% left on the oil life monitor - this puts me around 5200 miles at 0%. This is a big decrease from the projected 12,500 miles my 2008 CTS 3.6 DI would go (never let it go below 20%). Seems that the "11 cars are already programmed for much more frequent oil changes. Fortunately, there is no charge oil changes, but you would think that the car could go more than 5,000 miles on synthetic oil.

brothleutner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 4

For what it's worth. Just to make sure we are all on the same page, roller chain stretch is not the actual stretching of the metal, but gaps forming in between the links, in the rollers. Two things cause this, lack of oil, and dirty oil. If this recall actually fixes the problem, I think we can believe two things may be wrong with the engine. Either the chains themselves are very prone to dirt (unlikely) or the oil does not circulate properly in and out of the timing chain section of the engine. I'm saying the later is probably true, and the act of changing the oil, gets most of the oil out of the timing chains. Looking at your dipstick would not show the oil "stuck" in the timing chains, and look clean, when in reality, maybe the oil around the timing chains is getting very dirty.

We did have a member a year or more ago buy a 9 month old '09 with 90,000 miles on it that had some engine problems. He took pics of the area where the timing chains were, and the sludge in there was amazing. Granted this was an abused engine, but maybe I'm on to something?

So, it's possible the engine doesn't circulate the oil properly and therefore we, the owners, have to pay to change the oil more often to prevent a problem caused by an engineering miscue? Granted it is not a large amount of money, but that is really passing the buck IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by louiefl99 View Post
    My '11 CTS Coupe has about 4500 miles and 15% left on the oil life monitor - this puts me around 5200 miles at 0%...Seems that the "11 cars are already programmed for much more frequent oil changes...
    QUESTION to owners of 2010-2011 3.6L CTS:

Is your oil change interval similar to that of louiefl99's '11 CTS Coupe?

GrayGhost is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

Just curious...how much does the timing chain repair cost if you are out of warranty? Has anyone here paid out of pocket yet?

GrayGhost, as I recall...

One owner of a 2006 3.6L CTS experienced catastrophic timing chain failure on highway and was told that she must pay ~$6000 out-of-pocket for a new engine because oil was too low or too old when her car was towed to nearest Cadillac dealer shop. Dunno, she never posted the final outcome.

Others have reported $1900 to $3000 dealer estimated labor, timing chains, and possibly related parts that were replaced under warranty at no cost to customer.

You won't have to have the timing chain replaced GrayGhost as GM will now adjust the sensor so it doesn't throw the CEL any longer.

PAO
    PAO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS 3.6 Metallic Red, 11 Subaru Outback, 04 Malibu Maxx

for what its worth..I got what seems to be a generic annoucement from a local cadillac dealer here in the DC area that states my 09 CTS, non_DI has a timing chain recall on it and to contact the dealership to arrange the service...funny thing is....this dealer isnt the one that has serviced my CTS in the past....so wondering about this

sounds like that dealer wants to maximize his warranty work and get a bunch of CTS owners who may remember his thoughtfulness when it comes time to replace their cadillac!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.