Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Ideas about the Rear-View Camera for 2008-2010 CTSs

179K views 349 replies 89 participants last post by  FAL 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone,
After following the thread at http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...ussion/218361-cadillac-cts-2011-nav-disc.html, it's quite evident that the latest NAV software update contains the provisions for the rear-view camera.

I have not performed this mod (and don't even know if it'll work), but I thought I'd pass on some information I looked up that might help someone else find a solution.

I'm 99% sure the Nav hardware unit (AKA the GM Silverbox... you can see here: http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/2008/02/integrated-center-stack-ics.html) is identical for 2008-2011 CTSs. That leads me to believe that the inputs existed, but were never used.

I looked up the pin-outs in the Service guide for both the 2011 and 2008 CTS.

There is a 20-pin gray connector that attaches to the back of the nav unit. This connector has provides various audio and voice inputs to the nav system.

Pins 5 and 15 provide signals from the rear-view camera to the system (Circuit 6972 and 6973).

In the 2008, I checked Pins 5 and 15, and noticed something interesting. These pins are not listed as NOT USED (such as Pin 12), but rather as COAX, as well as wiring colour. This leads me to believe that these two circuits are undocumented, but exist (In the pin-out list, there are other COAX connections that lead to other components in the car, such as the USB input and Nav display).

The big question is: Is there wiring already place that terminates to these pins, or would new wiring need to be installed?

I also checked the pin-outs of the camera. The 2 camera circuits (6972 and 6973) directly terminate to the camera. This tells me that there are no other components to the camera and the camera is simply providing an analog video source to the to the nav system.

Something to note is that along with the ground/drain wires, there are 2 other circuits that would have to be tapped: The Backup Lamps Supply Voltage (most likely to indicate when to turn the camera on), and the Ignition Voltage (so the camera is only powered when the vehicle is on).

So this leads me to a couple questions to anyone wants to look into this:

Does the wiring harness in 2008-2010 vehicles already include the 2 wires for the rear-view camera?

Are the other circuits the camera requires, already available in the rear of the car?

Hopefully this may help someone eventually install a camera in their car.

See less See more
#2 ·
I Want to do this!
I Do know as is with the old software on my 08 It already knows when its in reverse You Can see this in the nav service menu
It looks like the OEM Camera is $264 on GM Parts Direct
Hopefully All we would have to do is send the Camera signal to Pins 5 &15 and Just power the Camera off the reverse lights, Along with the software

#5 ·
I'm working on this mod now. I just got the 2011 rear trunk applique with camera assembly for my 2008 (thanks to some friends). From what I can see the assembly is a 90% interchangeable. I work in vehicle wiring, this mod is possible but it is not only wiring it needs radio programming too (verified by guys that know), stay tuned.

#6 ·
Just a quick update for now. I finished this mod last weekend and had the dealer turn it on in software yesterday. It works perfectly, and acts just like a 2011 would (nav screen pops up in reverse with cam and goes down or back to radio in forward gears).

I'm going to write this up in detail but this mod is definitely not for the novice. It involves running 6 new circuits in the vehicle that are not there on an 08 (which requires removal of the driver and rear seats, and nav radio). Also the 2011 trunk applique with camera is an exact fit but requires two new holes to be drilled into the trunk (they slightly changed the location of the studs that hold the applique on). The dealer then has to recalibrate the nav radio in TIS2WEB to enable the rear camera.

I hope to have the details up this weekend.

#9 ·
Wow, impressive information. It appears your connected to the right people to make this mod happen. Would regular joe's be able to do this? As in get the parts, and the required software, or do you need someone on the "inside" to help you? Is there any other audio or video input in this unit that are no in use?

#10 ·
Excellent question, as I started hashing through the details of what I did, I started questioning how many would be able to do this. At it's heart, there were three steps: 1 mount camera, 2 run new circuits in car, 3 have dealer enable camera. The difficulty with this mod is in the details for example, I chose to replace the whole rear chrome molding with the 2011 version that had the camera already installed, this made the camera mounting look nicer but required new holes in the trunk and modification of the wire harness in order to fit the larger connector through the trunk hole. Running wires in the car sounds easy but requires removal of the driver seat, rear seat, nav radio, and surrounding trunk and vehicle trim to do it right. Attaching to the various connectors requires someone to have access to the needed connectors unless they want to start cutting off connectors and just soldering the wires together. Getting the dealer to turn it on was the easiest part, it only took 5 mins to program it.

It is a difficult mod and I am really not sure who will be able to do it.

#11 ·
Those who attempt this should feel comfortable with either the risks involved or the level of difficulty. If you haven't done these sorts of mods, it might not be a good place to start or it might be good to team up with someone who has. I have been doing this sort of work for quite a while. I have a few questions, csalmon. Where did you get the connectors? Where did you run the ignition voltage circuit?

#12 ·
I would be comfortable with the electrical side of the project. Can I just pull into a dealership and ask them to update my NAV Unit with the latest & greatest software? Will they? What would they charge? If I just order the 11' NAV disc, would this update be on the DVD?

#13 ·
Sorry to be houding you ... but would you be willing to share your knowledge of the wiring side of this project? I'm going to be pulling my infotainment system out to put the lockpick in and at the same time would love to enable the backup camera. My CTS has limo tint all the way around and a camera would be sweeeet!!!

This post has been deleted
#16 ·
I just caught a mistake in the document concerning the ign 1 pinout. I made the correction and have updated the two files. Please re download them if you already downloaded them.

Also I found these service manual documents helpful, they specify the pinouts for all the related connectors.

Attachments

#18 ·
Just a question on the NAV Disc update, do I need to find a copy of the Disc that presented the problem where the screen would pop up in 08'-09' models that didn't have the camera installed. Or will the latest disc still give me the camera feature whether the camera is there or not?

#20 ·
Excellent question. From what I understand the nav disc with the screen raising issue was a production problem with the disc manufacturing and was only on about 40 of the discs that were manufactured. Those discs are not available now and from what I understand, they did not enable the camera properly anyway. The only way to do it correctly is to take the car to the dealer and have them enable it in TIS2WEB on your car. It only took about 5 mins on my car and the dealer was VERY cool about it but YMMV.

I was told that updating the NAV software before or after enabling the camera has no effect on the operation of the camera (but don't use one of the problem discs).

#22 ·
Cool thank you for that info! I'll order my nav disc tonight!

csalmon - your attention to detail is appreciated and admired. Lot of potential shortcuts that you didn't take. Thanks for the detail in pdfs. I've spoken to my dealer and they said "Bring it on up when you get your camera in!" so that's pretty reassuring.

#23 ·
csalmon, quick question: in the PDF 1 you list these two items below but I never see them come up again on your install. Did I miss something? Yes, great work on the write up!

9. One 4 way Packard connector GM PN 12047786.
10. Minimum of 4 Packard male Metripack 150 terminals.

#24 ·
These are just the mate and terminals to plug into the existing body harness connector at the molding. You could always just cut the one off your old molding and use that to tie into the new molding connector. I wanted to keep my old molding intact just in case I ever wanted to put it back or resell it.

#27 ·
I also have an 08 and wanted a camera (factory) and dealer said no because of different LAN generations 08 to 10 but you did it just one question aprox. how much for camera and the connectors and the dealer re-flash? thanx again for your due diligance. sorry forgot to ask what city are you in? i'm in so cal.

#28 ·
I was lucky enough to have some friends that donated the parts just to see if I could do it. My dealer is awesome and did not charge for the reprogram (they also wanted to see if it would work). GMPartsdirect.com sells the molding assembly for $159 which includes the camera, not sure how much the connectors would cost. Sometimes dealers will have small stocks of various connectors and terminals. Maybe best to find those parts through a junkyard with a wrecked 2011 as a donor. I am in Michigan.

#29 ·
I've done a bit of research to find out what this will cost.

$230.00 - Nav Disk Update
$200.00 - 2011 Rear Assembly Applique (including camera)
$70.00 - Required Connectors

I have the proper gauge wire so I didn't factor that in and my dealer said "no charge" for enabling the camera. These prices are in Canadian funds (we're pretty on par right now anyways) and they also include delivery and duty fees. So if you live in US knock about $50 off for delivery and Duty. This is just to give you an idea of what I've found and I've rounded to the nearest 10. You may be able to source the parts cheaper. Not a cheap rear camera ... but I WANT IT!

#32 ·
You do not need the nav update for this mod. I did not update my nav software (I actually have never updated it except for the free update the dealer did a year or so ago under a TSB). The dealer will just go into the radio setup and enable the camera. From that point forward, your vehicle will act like it has the camera (pop up/down, turn on/off).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.