Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Ideas about the Rear-View Camera for 2008-2010 CTSs

179K views 349 replies 89 participants last post by  FAL 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone,
After following the thread at http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...ussion/218361-cadillac-cts-2011-nav-disc.html, it's quite evident that the latest NAV software update contains the provisions for the rear-view camera.

I have not performed this mod (and don't even know if it'll work), but I thought I'd pass on some information I looked up that might help someone else find a solution.

I'm 99% sure the Nav hardware unit (AKA the GM Silverbox... you can see here: http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/2008/02/integrated-center-stack-ics.html) is identical for 2008-2011 CTSs. That leads me to believe that the inputs existed, but were never used.

I looked up the pin-outs in the Service guide for both the 2011 and 2008 CTS.

There is a 20-pin gray connector that attaches to the back of the nav unit. This connector has provides various audio and voice inputs to the nav system.

Pins 5 and 15 provide signals from the rear-view camera to the system (Circuit 6972 and 6973).

In the 2008, I checked Pins 5 and 15, and noticed something interesting. These pins are not listed as NOT USED (such as Pin 12), but rather as COAX, as well as wiring colour. This leads me to believe that these two circuits are undocumented, but exist (In the pin-out list, there are other COAX connections that lead to other components in the car, such as the USB input and Nav display).

The big question is: Is there wiring already place that terminates to these pins, or would new wiring need to be installed?

I also checked the pin-outs of the camera. The 2 camera circuits (6972 and 6973) directly terminate to the camera. This tells me that there are no other components to the camera and the camera is simply providing an analog video source to the to the nav system.

Something to note is that along with the ground/drain wires, there are 2 other circuits that would have to be tapped: The Backup Lamps Supply Voltage (most likely to indicate when to turn the camera on), and the Ignition Voltage (so the camera is only powered when the vehicle is on).

So this leads me to a couple questions to anyone wants to look into this:

Does the wiring harness in 2008-2010 vehicles already include the 2 wires for the rear-view camera?

Are the other circuits the camera requires, already available in the rear of the car?

Hopefully this may help someone eventually install a camera in their car.

See less See more
#159 ·
Thanks for the pictures, that really helps. Looks like the reverse lamps have changed from the 2009 version. I either need to wait for the entire trim piece (part# 22768336) to become available, or try ordering the trim piece (part# 22768337) without the camera and cutting it to insert the camera module I already bought. Anyone know if part# 22768337 comes with the lamps and trunk switch?

#167 · (Edited)
At the dealer now. First they told me they wouldn't activate the camera because it didn't come with the car. When I asked why they said it might void some warranty. I said I didn't t care about the warranty and then they said GM would not allow them to do it. I asked if there was a specific directive from GM on activating the camera and he said something about their Honesty & Integrity policy wouldn't allow them to do it. I asked to speak with the manager.

I never got to speak with the manager, but the associate came back and said they would do it for $100.

#169 ·
After contributing $100 to Cadillac's Honesty & Integrity fund my camera is working...sort of.

The resolution is poor and the color is washed out. The first time I saw the image I thought it was a black & white image. Also, occasionally the image does not appear at all. This could be a wiring issue, but jiggling the wires does seem to help.

Compared to the image when playing a DVD in the car, the backup camera's image is just mediocore. For the others that have installed the OEM camera, is your image clear and crisp with decent color?

#172 ·
Ok, thanks guys for that update. I guess mine is OK then.

Just wanted to thank everyone on this thread the contributed information. Special thanks to the OP (Gramzster), thanks for doing the initial R&D. Thanks to csalmon for the excellent write up, and thanks to sfv41901 for supplying me with the 10-pin connector and the necessary terminals.

If anyone is interested, I took a few wiring shortcuts on my install. I didn't want to remove the seats and all of the power, ground, and backup lamp circuits were already in the trunk so I opted to tap them instead of running wires to points forward.

To install the camera, like csalmon, I removed the terminals from 10-pin connector on the factory trim/camera, swapped grommets and ran the wires back through the original hole, then reinstalled the terminals into the 10-pin.

To get power to the camera I tapped the #1 circuit (Parking lamp +) and connected it to camera IGN1+ #6 pin. The camera only draw 67 milliamps.
For a ground I tapped the #10 wire and connected it to the camera ground #5 pin.
To get the reverse lamp power I tapped the + lead going into the right reverse lamp and connected it to the camera backup lamp # 9 pin.
All these connections were made by soldering in a tee and sealing the tee with dual-wall heat shrink.

Now, all I had to do was run a single cable (shielded pair of wires) to the back of the NAV unit. To do this I had to remove the bottom portion of the rear seat and fish the wire through from the trunk on the right side (following the existing large wire bundle heading in the same direction). Did not have to remove the upper portion of the rear seat so this was easier than I expected.

I had to remove the lower trim at the passenger door and ran my fish tape rearward under the carpet to pickup the wire coming from the trunk. From there is was easy to pull the wire forward (under the carpet) and run it around the top of the passenger floorboard and to the NAV unit.

Just for full disclosure, I am having intermittent problems with no picture showing up. I am unable to duplicate on demand so it has been difficult to diagnose. Hopefully will get some time this weekend to play with it some more.

#197 ·
To get power to the camera I tapped the #1 circuit (Parking lamp +) and connected it to camera IGN1+ #6 pin. The camera only draw 67 milliamps.
When you shift out of reverse and into park, I have been told the video stays on for about 5 seconds. Since you tapped into the parking lamps instead of the ignition, does your screen go black and stay up for that time? Or does the screen immediately go down when video signal is lost?

----------

Also, can you please tell me where to get the 10 pin connector shell that mates with the camera?
Goto http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/

And do a search for the part number: 13577789

It's like $5

Hope this helps!

#178 ·
I have a 2008 I installed a camera for a customer and it has the black screen with the yellow line issue. I told the dealer to update the mapping software and the dilemma is should we use the 2011 update or the 2012. Has anyone used the 2012 update yet to correct the problem? Thanks,

DanDan

#179 ·
DanDan said:
I have a 2008 I installed a camera for a customer and it has the black screen with the yellow line issue. I told the dealer to update the mapping software and the dilemma is should we use the 2011 update or the 2012. Has anyone used the 2012 update yet to correct the problem? Thanks,

DanDan
I used the 2011 update to fix that issue ur having. I have since updated to the most current release & everything still works the way it should

#184 ·
Just had my camera turned on, all i get is a black screen. But is does go up when put in reverse.Do i have to update to work. Also when we turned camera on we went into a 2009 cts which my car is. Do i need to turn on for a 2011 cts. Does anybody have a pic of 10 pin connector for camera were all wires are.Just want to make sure i put all wires back in correct pin slots, since i removed connector to fit through the trunk hole.
Thanks For All Your Help. Joe

#185 ·
Joe, somewhere in this thread will be a pdf with the wire diagram for the trunk harness.

Does the screen go down a few sec after u put it in "D" or go down right after u put it into "P"?

Chances are u need to get the nav disc if all the wires are hooked up right

#187 · (Edited)
When I start my vehicle the screen goes up as it usually does. When I put in "R" screen goes black. When I put in "D" or "P" the screen goes back to whatever I am using (ie radio or nav). Screen does not go down until I either turn off vehicle or manually put the screen down.

There is 2 pink wires in connector. voltage and camera2, just want to make sure i put them in the right spots.
Thanks Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.