Ideas about the Rear-View Camera for 2008-2010 CTSs - Page 16
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Ideas about the Rear-View Camera for 2008-2010 CTSs in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept i think the key here might be the model year it appears that in 2011 the ...
    Karch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 TG sedan, 6A,LPE 650, and a few more mods.

Re: Ideas about the Rear-View Camera for 2008-2010 CTSs

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    i think the key here might be the model year

it appears that in 2011 the body wiring was fully featured (cost saving maybe) while in 2010 and prior there were different body harnesses by build options

not really that uncommon
    I agree, I think the 2011+ is the key, as I don't believe any cameras were available prior to that as a factory option.

Mark985 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Karch View Post
    I agree, I think the 2011+ is the key, as I don't believe any cameras were available prior to that as a factory option.
    I'm pretty sure the 10 pin plug started with the model year 2011 that's probably why the wiring is there.

cnash is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Soon to have a CTS-V

Check this out.
    If you're willing to spend the money this seems like a great option.
    http://teamspeed.com/forums/modern-m...up-camera.html

FSTCDY is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 Black CTS-V

Factory camera installed on my 2010 last night. Took me about 3 hours. Didn't remove the seat or the back of the back seat. Chose some easier wires to access as well. Works like a charm. Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by FSTCDY View Post
    Factory camera installed on my 2010 last night. Took me about 3 hours. Didn't remove the seat or the back of the back seat. Chose some easier wires to access as well. Works like a charm. Thanks for the info!
    Any way you can share the details? Much appreciated.

FSTCDY is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 Black CTS-V
    Used the guide provided on here. But, I only removed a the lower half of the rear seat, lid part of the trunk cover, and of course pulled the radio unit out. I went to the parts department at the dealership to get the terminals (make sure you have the tray #'s), wire from Home Depot and ordered the 2011 trim piece with the camera from GMpartsdirect.com.

Installed the new trim/camera first, then went ahead and found all the connection points and ran all the wires, leaving enough on each end to cut/splice etc.

1. Nav unit (used the insulated 3 wire) run it through the gap going around the drivers side, under the door seals (they just pop out), then (with the rear seat out) along the factory harness path to the passenger side. Crimp the stock terminals and plug them in. (Provided your dealer will give them to you, if not, then you will have to find secondary means)

2. For the ignition wire, I opened the panel in the drivers side of the dash (just pops off) found the same connector as described in the guide provided. But, I already had my radar detector hard wired, so instead of tapping the pink wire as instructed, I used the red wire with the white stripe. Only because my RD was spliced in to that one (this wire acts the same and provides ignition power). Ran that wire down and along with the nav wire. I soldered it in.

3. I used the ground location on the drivers side door seal (directly under the dash side cover) and ran the wire along with the nav/radio wire. All you have to do is crimp a ring terminal and screw it down tight.

* I made sure to tape all three wires together so they are easily tucked away down the door seal and stay together to prevent pinching etc.

Now since I did not remove the back of the rear seat, I ran a wire hanger that I straightened out from the trunk (on the passenger side) down to where it is visible from inside the car. Taped the wire bundle to the end and pulled them through. Run the bundle on the side of the trunk covering to the wire bundle that goes to the lid and up to the camera.

4. The reverse light wire (green wire) instead of under the back seat, I spliced into the green wire on the passenger side tail light. It is easily accessible with the battery cover off. Then you just run the wire up and with the others.

Crimp all the proper terminals to the mew wires plus the 4 existing wires in the trunk. If your not able to get the terminals and 10 pin connector, there are plenty of other options to connect wires. Just make sure they are secure.

All wiring is complete, you can put all the car back together. You have to have the dealer update your system so that the screen raises and the camera functions properly. I got lucky, my XM would not hold a signal, so they replaced my entire unit with a 2013 version which already had the updates along with the new map update. That's why I went ahead and did the mod, my screen would raise in reverse when I picked it up from the dealer lol. It was blank, so it needed a camera
    thedarkwolf13 likes this.

Thank you very much. Great info!

dekes1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

I also just completed this upgrade. Here's a few things that were different in my case that may help others:
    1)Pin6 on the connector was not yellow but rather pink so be careful to not confuse it with the pink camera + signal wire
    2)Instead of running wires all over the place for both ignition and to the back-up lights, I just ran one wire to the white remote-turn-on wire at the amplifier. Yes this means the camera is powered up anytime the ignition is on, but in my case that's a good thing.
    3)If you use a lockpick or the PAC nav unlock, you can watch the camera at anytime you want (yes totally a gimmick of nearly no value). But, to do so you need to have the camera powered up even when not in reverse (hence #2 above).
    4) The trim piece from the 2011 has interior screw holes in different places than my 2008 had. But, the two main 10mm bolts and the two main exterior snap clips fit perfectly so ignoring the two interior screws is fine.
    5) you do not need to run the third wire, the black shield wire, all the way up front to the radio if you use decent wires for the signal + and signal -. I used 16ga two conductor in-wall speaker wire (so twisted pair) and it works perfectly.

I will say though that the picture quality is not amazing. It's clear, no noise or artifacts and it's a smooth frame rate, but it's low resolution. Like looking at a video from an early generation smartphone. I bought one of those license plate mount cameras first and the resolution was noticeably better but i hated the look of that thing mounted over the plate. just an opinion tho

jac09g8gt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS-V sedan

If I buy the newest map upgrade, would I be able avoid the trip to the dealer to turn on the backup camera in my 09?

Cougar281 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Silverado Duramax, 95 Cougar, 2010 CTS4 Premium

Has anyone found any late build 2010's to have the wiring for the camera in the body harness already? I'll be taking delivery of a 2010 CTS Premium this week that was built in 6/2010, so it's almost the end of 2010MY production, and I'm hoping that they ran out of 2010 harnesses and had to use a 2011 harness (I Know, I won't hold my breath). Either way, I'll be adding hte camera, but it would make it MUCH easier if the wiring was already there.

hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Sportwagon 18.2city 28hwy 25hwy AC on

Looking at the difficulty of this mod, I would like to ask why the rear camera is preferred over a $25 rear sensor kit to locate rear obstruction? I'm just curious if it's for kid safety, trailer line up, or just gadget upgrade; because one of the reasons I got the base model was to avoid the popup camera.

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar281 View Post
    Has anyone found any late build 2010's to have the wiring for the camera in the body harness already? I'll be taking delivery of a 2010 CTS Premium this week that was built in 6/2010, so it's almost the end of 2010MY production, and I'm hoping that they ran out of 2010 harnesses and had to use a 2011 harness (I Know, I won't hold my breath). Either way, I'll be adding hte camera, but it would make it MUCH easier if the wiring was already there.
    I'm pretty sure that the backup camera is part of the 2010 Premium group as standard. Good Luck, Marv

Quote Originally Posted by Tbbt View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the backup camera is part of the 2010 Premium group as standard. Good Luck, Marv
    No cameras until 2011 MY.

Cougar281 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Silverado Duramax, 95 Cougar, 2010 CTS4 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by hauler View Post
    Looking at the difficulty of this mod, I would like to ask why the rear camera is preferred over a $25 rear sensor kit to locate rear obstruction? I'm just curious if it's for kid safety, trailer line up, or just gadget upgrade; because one of the reasons I got the base model was to avoid the popup camera.
    Difficulty is relative. For me, this should not be hard, just time consuming. On my Cougar, I've replaced the entire body harness to add the keyless entry functionality from a 96 or 97 car, so there were differences in the harnesses that needed to be dealt with. I also replaced the 95 PCM with a 96/97 PCM, which required modifying the dash harness to move the rear O2 sensors out of the engine harness and into the transmission harness. A few years later I swapped in a 2004 Mustang GT PCM which required modifying the body harness to accommodate a Mustang engine harness. Right now I've got a DOHC motor on a stand for it with a Mach1 harness that's been modified to work with the body harness in the car.

On my truck, I converted it from a 2004 LLY engine with the 5 speed Allison to a 2006 LBZ engine with the 6 speed Allison, which required replacing the ECM, TCM & GPCM, along with the engine harness & body harness. This was a cake walk though as it was 99% plug and play with only a few pin changes on one connector.

As for why, everyone's reasons are different. In my case, my car has the NAV (which I wanted, even thought it's not the *BEST*, plus good luck finding a Premium car with Keyless ignition but no NAV), and I want a backup camera. Simple as that. And While one of those $25 Ricerzone specials might be acceptable in my 18 year old Cougar, it is not acceptable in a 2010 Cadillac IMO. And everyone's opinion is different.

Quote Originally Posted by Karch View Post
    No cameras until 2011 MY.
    That would be correct. I'm HOPING (But I won't hold my breath) that this car is close enough to the end of 2010MY production that they ran out of 2010 body harnesses and it has a 2011 harness.

waltertaucher is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS Sport Wagon

I guess the 2010 wagons were the exception, my 2010 Prem Wagon has the backup camera

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.