Ideas about the Rear-View Camera for 2008-2010 CTSs - Page 15
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Ideas about the Rear-View Camera for 2008-2010 CTSs in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Please post updates if possible. Mark, can you post pictures of what your screen looks like with the camera on? ...
    Karch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 TG sedan, 6A,LPE 650, and a few more mods.

Re: Ideas about the Rear-View Camera for 2008-2010 CTSs

Please post updates if possible.

Mark, can you post pictures of what your screen looks like with the camera on? There are some concerns about the quality.

My Jeep CJ has a pretty decent screen/camera setup. I wish the Caddy had the distance lines like the Jeep, as we (my wife drives it mostly) can back up right to a spot, where it goes from yellow to red. No idea why Cadillac didn't do this, except trying to limit complaints about the hue or something (people complain about everything. Sure enough, I guess I'm complaining about no lines...haha).

Thanks.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by sfv41901 View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

To find out "if" u have the wiring, u would need to pull the carpet cover on the trunk to expose the wiring. If u have the cam wiring, u will have a 10 pin connector going to the rear trunk trim that houses the trunk button, lic plate lights. If the is a 10 pin connector, it should have all cavities filled. If this is he case, u have the wiring. If this is not the case, then ull have to run all the wiring.
    Any chance you can be more specific about where this connector is located? Is it in the trunk lit, under the "carpet" of the lid, or under the carpet in the floor of the trunk. I ask because I just got my car a couple of weeks ago, and the previous owner some other work done and I am not sure what is what, and if anything was moved or even replaced. Also, if you happen to have a picture of the connector, that would be great.

My car was build in late 2009, I believe, if that makes any difference.

Also, are the 2009-12 CTS-V sedan trims all the same, or interchangeable?

Thank you.

ghoward10 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS 3.6DI AWD

Would it be harder or easier to install the backup camera with the coastaltech lockpick? They say that with the lockpick can unlock the dvd, bluetooth, destinations, and camera while the car is in motion. Can anyone let me know their thoughts on the install with the lockpick. Thanks.

Link to the instructions.
    http://www.coastaletech.com/media/CT...ctions.doc.pdf

Bonnell is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnell View Post
    I drove over to Ritchey Cadillac in Daytona Beach this morning to get new front mats installed. The service advisor took me to Ed who is their electrical and electronic guy. I explained that I had a 2011 CTS and I wanted to replace the chrome molding with one having a camera and then have them plug in and enable the camera.

He said it was no problem. He said that GM may charge me $50 bucks or so to allow it. The good news is if they do that the installation will be considered an accessory add on and will be shown with my car as an installed accessory and will be covered under all warranties.

I used the part number posted above - 22768336 - and ordered the molding from the service department. Ed told me I should plan on a half day visit. He said the molding will not be difficult to replace but that sometimes when they flash the software it doesn't work as expected. In that case they have to go online with Cadillac support and this can take a little time.

I will be taking the CTS to then around the third week in February to have this done. I'll post the results then.
    ================================================== =========================
    My son took my CTS in yesterday to Ritchey Cadillac to have the rear molding with the backup camera installed and the nav unit programed. They called and after removing the molding and preparing to install the molding with the camera they said there is no harness to plug it into. They called GM accessories group and were told that a camera cannot be added.

I did not get to talk directly with the tech so I don't know if they really looked for the harness or just called GM for help and were told it can't be done. I'm sure the accessories group would say it can't be done because it is not an accessory upgrade listed in their offering.

**Can the person who upgraded their 2011 CTS sedan with Nav post pictures of the procedure? I'd like to look for the harness myself. If I find it and it pins-out as expected, I'll order the part and install it myself.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

you have to make your own harness

the harness that you could buy from a dealer is the whole vehicle body harness that costs over $1000

i don't think you need to run wires all the way up to the front though
    there should be a connector on the body harness that you can plug your camera harness into

people who have done this before can probably give better detail and/or correct me
    but everything that the dealer told your son was correct
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Pdabs is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnell
    ================================================== =========================

**Can the person who upgraded their 2011 CTS sedan with Nav post pictures of the procedure? I'd like to look for the harness myself. If I find it and it pins-out as expected, I'll order the part and install it myself.
    I don't want to sound rude, but did you even read this thread? I only skimmed it and I'm pretty sure it lets you know you need to make your own harness. It also lets you know what connectors to get. (Could be wrong)

Mistercoffee2 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Pdabs View Post
    I don't want to sound rude, but did you even read this thread? I only skimmed it and I'm pretty sure it lets you know you need to make your own harness. It also lets you know what connectors to get. (Could be wrong)
    I remember the post the OP is refering to, #203 below. Said the harness was already there on his car.

Skimming a thread never works.

Quote Originally Posted by Pdabs View Post
    Reminds me of a line from the movie "Terms of Endearment".

Quote Originally Posted by Karch View Post
    Reminds me of a line from the movie "Terms of Endearment".
    I saw that movie but refresh my memory, I don't remember a line that applies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistercoffee2 View Post
    I saw that movie but refresh my memory, I don't remember a line that applies.
    Grocery check out line, when the cashier says she doesn't think she's being rude.

Quote Originally Posted by Karch View Post
    Grocery check out line, when the cashier says she doesn't think she's being rude.
    Yes, now I got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistercoffee2 View Post
    Yes, now I got it.

Appropriate?

Bonnell is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS

Yes 203 is the thread that I was referring to. I sent Mark985 a PM to ask about how he found the harness, etc. I read all posts in this thread and found post 203. I have no plans to run any wires through the car so #203 seemed to be a my way to get the backup camera.

I have been an active car forum member for more than a decade. I have been active on two corvette forums and I am V.P. of Information Technology for a nationwide company so I am very familiar with using search for researching.

Thanks for your replies.

Hugo Stiglitz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

I have a buddy who's a tech at a GM dealership, he installed my navigation/LCD/DVD player into my non
    LCD/nav/DVD 2010 CTS.
    He definitely spent some time printing out diagrams, scabbing connectors off a couple of faulty wire
    harness' that he was able to get ahold of before they were thrown out. And I still had to buy 2,3 connectors to get everything hooked up.
    He said that I could have the back up camera added to my car but Woukd have to run wires from back to
    front.
    If someone can make you a connector to tap into the wiring harness, pay the man.
    And if he makes you one, I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard to make another for me.?.

Mark985 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS Coupe

I posted #203. I bought a 2011 CTS Coupe Performance with no back up camera. The wires were run in my car all I had to do is change the molding to one with camera and have the dealer program it. When I started this project I asked the dealer to order the molding. The dealer here locally couldn't find the part and looked at me like I was dumb and said that it wouldn't work. He said if it would work it would be under GM Accessories. I then got on ebay found the part I needed and ordered it. I installed it myself and brought it back to the dealer to program it. The main shop foreman didn't think it could be done but programmed the car as one with a camera and sure enough it worked and has been working fine ever since. I guess Cadillac puts the same wiring harnesses in all there cars with Navigation. Kind of makes sense why would they change the harness just for the ones with a camera. Anyway I'm not sure about the Sedans as I have a Coupe by I would bet there the same. If you guys have any questions PM me cause I don't get on here to much lately and if I'm PM'd I'll get a email letting me know.

Mark

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnell View Post
    Yes 203 is the thread that I was referring to. I sent Mark985 a PM to ask about how he found the harness, etc. I read all posts in this thread and found post 203. I have no plans to run any wires through the car so #203 seemed to be a my way to get the backup camera.

I have been an active car forum member for more than a decade. I have been active on two corvette forums and I am V.P. of Information Technology for a nationwide company so I am very familiar with using search for researching.

Thanks for your replies.
    Bonnell,

Did you get my PM with my number. I lost any other messages you sent. I got an email saying you tried to PM me but my inbox was full.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

i think the key here might be the model year

it appears that in 2011 the body wiring was fully featured (cost saving maybe) while in 2010 and prior there were different body harnesses by build options

not really that uncommon
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.