Ideas about the Rear-View Camera for 2008-2010 CTSs - Page 13
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Ideas about the Rear-View Camera for 2008-2010 CTSs in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; That is correct Joe....
    sfv41901 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS
    That is correct Joe.
    Westdog976 and Westdog976 like this.

jrjordan12 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 cts awd

Re: Ideas about the Rear-View Camera for 2008-2010 CTSs

Thanks for the quick response. Also when i get the tech to turn on camera, can he also do a software update.
    Thanks Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jrjordan12
    Thanks for the quick response. Also when i get the tech to turn on camera, can he also do a software update.
    Thanks Joe
    No. The software update comes from the nav disk update.

Just had my camera turned on, all i get is a black screen. But is does go up when put in reverse.Do i have to update to work. Also when we turned camera on we went into a 2009 cts which my car is. Do i need to turn on for a 2011 cts. Does anybody have a pic of 10 pin connector for camera were all wires are.Just want to make sure i put all wires back in correct pin slots, since i removed connector to fit through the trunk hole.
    Thanks For All Your Help. Joe

Joe, somewhere in this thread will be a pdf with the wire diagram for the trunk harness.

Does the screen go down a few sec after u put it in "D" or go down right after u put it into "P"?

Chances are u need to get the nav disc if all the wires are hooked up right

Jon
    Jon is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS Premium 6 Speed, 04 CTS 3.6L, 2014 ATS 2.0T

Any idea if this would be any different for a manual tranny? Might want to do this for my car now that Helm seems to have gotten their nav discs sorted out.

Quote Originally Posted by sfv41901 View Post
    Joe, somewhere in this thread will be a pdf with the wire diagram for the trunk harness.

Does the screen go down a few sec after u put it in "D" or go down right after u put it into "P"?

Chances are u need to get the nav disc if all the wires are hooked up right

When I start my vehicle the screen goes up as it usually does. When I put in "R" screen goes black. When I put in "D" or "P" the screen goes back to whatever I am using (ie radio or nav). Screen does not go down until I either turn off vehicle or manually put the screen down.

There is 2 pink wires in connector. voltage and camera2, just want to make sure i put them in the right spots.
    Thanks Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Jon
    Any idea if this would be any different for a manual tranny? Might want to do this for my car now that Helm seems to have gotten their nav discs sorted out.
    Shouldn't make any difference. The install would still be the same. The BCM us what tells the nav what to do

Quote Originally Posted by jrjordan12

When I start my vehicle the screen goes up as it usually does. When I put in "R" screen goes black. When I put in "D" or "P" the screen goes back to whatever I am using (ie radio or nav). Screen does not go down until I either turn off vehicle or manually put the screen down.

There is 2 pink wires in connector. voltage and camera2, just want to make sure i put them in the right spots.
    Thanks Joe
    Sounds like the software is correct. When I 1st did mine, the camera image would show up but when I went into "D" the screen went black & I couldnt change any radio settings. I would double check ur connections at the trunk.

hiltoncam is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 BLS and 2009 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Gramzster View Post
    Hey Everyone,
    After following the thread at http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-nav-disc.html, it's quite evident that the latest NAV software update contains the provisions for the rear-view camera.

I have not performed this mod (and don't even know if it'll work), but I thought I'd pass on some information I looked up that might help someone else find a solution.

I'm 99% sure the Nav hardware unit (AKA the GM Silverbox... you can see here: http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/2...stack-ics.html) is identical for 2008-2011 CTSs. That leads me to believe that the inputs existed, but were never used.

I looked up the pin-outs in the Service guide for both the 2011 and 2008 CTS.

There is a 20-pin gray connector that attaches to the back of the nav unit. This connector has provides various audio and voice inputs to the nav system.

Pins 5 and 15 provide signals from the rear-view camera to the system (Circuit 6972 and 6973).

In the 2008, I checked Pins 5 and 15, and noticed something interesting. These pins are not listed as NOT USED (such as Pin 12), but rather as COAX, as well as wiring colour. This leads me to believe that these two circuits are undocumented, but exist (In the pin-out list, there are other COAX connections that lead to other components in the car, such as the USB input and Nav display).

The big question is: Is there wiring already place that terminates to these pins, or would new wiring need to be installed?

I also checked the pin-outs of the camera. The 2 camera circuits (6972 and 6973) directly terminate to the camera. This tells me that there are no other components to the camera and the camera is simply providing an analog video source to the to the nav system.

Something to note is that along with the ground/drain wires, there are 2 other circuits that would have to be tapped: The Backup Lamps Supply Voltage (most likely to indicate when to turn the camera on), and the Ignition Voltage (so the camera is only powered when the vehicle is on).

So this leads me to a couple questions to anyone wants to look into this:

Does the wiring harness in 2008-2010 vehicles already include the 2 wires for the rear-view camera?

Are the other circuits the camera requires, already available in the rear of the car?

Hopefully this may help someone eventually install a camera in their car.
    Gramzster - I couldn't see if you came right with this investigation, but I would be interested to know if those CTS cameras on eBay are any good. They fit into the license plate light (or replace it) and their wiring diagram looks simple - but after reading all the posts in this thread, it seems to be anything BUT simple. Is this something a dealer would be able to do for me - what do you think?
    [IMG]
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAR-REAR-VIEW-REVERSE-BACKUP-CAMERA-FOR-CADILLAC-CTS-SRX-/150853236164?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item231f8db5c 4&vxp=mtr[/IMG]

U can use those ebay cameras just like u would the OEM 1. I'm not sure what the pic quality would be. The wiring would pretty much be the same. The power wire for those cameras would go to the grn reverse light. The ground to a ground - then the video signal would go to the back of the nav radio just like it would with the OEM camera.

As far as a dealer installing it......good luck. Most dealers don't like installing aftermarket items like this & even if they did they would prob charge u $80 per hr.

Quote Originally Posted by sfv41901 View Post
    U can use those ebay cameras just like u would the OEM 1. I'm not sure what the pic quality would be. The wiring would pretty much be the same. The power wire for those cameras would go to the grn reverse light. The ground to a ground - then the video signal would go to the back of the nav radio just like it would with the OEM camera.

As far as a dealer installing it......good luck. Most dealers don't like installing aftermarket items like this & even if they did they would prob charge u $80 per hr.
    Thanks SFV! I might get an auto electrician to fit it for me, however, I'm concerned about "activating" the camera on the head unit. Would I need a dealer to do that for me? Also, I have never updated the firmware on my unit since I bought it. It's a 2009 model (probably built in 2008 though), so I'm not sure if I should buy the new Nav first and update the software to 2012 (is this necessary?).

Yes, the nav disk will be needed along with the dealer service tech turning on the feature via tis2web

Thanks guys, this helps quite a bit. Now all I need is for my camera to arrive and start haggling with my dealer to do the necessary. They're usually quite a helpful bunch, so I'm sure they'll try their best to assist me.

danoh123 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS 3.6 Premium AWD

Quote Originally Posted by hiltoncam View Post
    Thanks guys, this helps quite a bit. Now all I need is for my camera to arrive and start haggling with my dealer to do the necessary. They're usually quite a helpful bunch, so I'm sure they'll try their best to assist me.
    Did eBay unit work as it arrived? No extra other things needed to make it work? It seems too simple .. hope it works

I still have these if anybody needs them:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...rear-view.html

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.